Home General Discussion

StarWars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I'm probablyu the biggest SW fan I know of, and I was 'really' dissapointed with these last 3 films. I don't think these actors were bad...I just feel that since many of them were young perhaps they needed good direction, and Lucas ghas only made a handful of films so he doesn't have the exp or personal skills to deal with actors. I work with some people who say he's not the most personable film maker.

*spoilers*

I really liked the the first say....15 mins until Grievous' ship crash lands. The pace was good, the dialogue was decent (I liked when Anikin said "this is where the fun begins" Nice tribute to Solo) I really liked how Palpatine's voice becomes more guteral when the darside asserts itself (when he ordered Anikin to murder Dooku)

The movie lost it after that I think. There were parts of the story I really liked. I loved how Lucas worked in the Jedi cousil's arrogence into Anikin's flirtation with the darkside, and then clenched it with Padme's death visions. My fav moment was probably when Vader yells "I hate you" It explains vader's vehement hatred for Obiwan in the OT

Unless I'm not catching his accent properly I think Ben said "since...oh before you were born"

5 good moments doesn't make up for the most anticiapted cinematic expierence of my life...so B00000 to Lucas and his arrogence. He shouldn't have directed these films. I'm sitting here all dissapointed cuz he's having delusions of grandeur.

I'll probably still buy it so i can listen to Grievous talk though....cuz he's a very cool character smile.gif

-R
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    havent seen it yet, but will probably see it soonish with the lowest of low expectations. aside from that, i hope people read that interview with lucas in Wired (with him on the cover)... that's what's exciting to me. Lucas talks about how Star Wars just kinda 'got in the way', and how he has come to represent a lot of what he was against. very darth vader. THX-1138 represents the path not taken by him for the last 30-odd years; now that he's got an empire at his feet i'm really keen on seeing Lucas get back to making more personal, provocative movies like THX. i wish him the best of luck in rediscovering that in his creative output.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    In other Wired news, scientists are attempting to create the world's most powerful *laser* as phase one of death star construction:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,67606,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_8
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really enjoyed it. Especially the cliff-hanger ending. Anyone know how long we have to wait until the next one comes out? I can't wait to find out what happens next!

[/ QUOTE ]

Astro, My girlfriend told me she heard a little kid say something like that...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    well, i watched all 6 as i said, and i thought it made sense. the main bug-bear would be why artoo never says to threepio "hey, it's tatooine! we were here oooh, thirty years ago..." but then again, since 3PO had his memory wiped he'd be all "what are you talking about you near-sighted scrap-pile? i've never been here before!"
  • Daz
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Im afraid not mate smile.gif I watched it last night ( and it was awesome! ) and he definitely says 'since long before you were born'.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my copy, he says:

"I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since oh, before you were born."

From the moment the kids are born, how many people were around who knew to call him Obi-Wan? Yoda, Bail Organa, the Lars family... What should old Ben have said: "since about a week after you were born"? I mean, Kenobi lied all the time anyway, so I can't see why this one point would be an issue. Luke's father wanted him to have that lightsaber? Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker? He's full of shit about most things he says!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "so I can't see why this one point would be an issue."

No, neither can I ;-)
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Despite all the little inconsistencies I enjoyed almost every minute of it. I think maybe that with the huge hits that the first three were, Lucas pretty much has full artistic license and doesn't have an editor other than himself. He's definitely not a hungry artist. Heinlein was like this in later years, where he was the guy with the "Midas touch" in the science fiction business so he got away with alot more than less accomplished authors. I sort of doubt Heinlein would have been able to get away with Star Wars though.

I think it's just a matter of deciding to kick back and enjoy it or be mad about it - doesn't change a thing.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "so I can't see why this one point would be an issue."

No, neither can I ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, c'mon now, you're not even trying... I can't just sit here and argue with myself! Well, I probably can, but nobody wants to see that wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im at work, otherwise id love to! smile.gif
    Listen, I didnt hate the movie. And I dont think it was 'utter' garbage. I just cant help but think 'what If'. What If the StarWars universe could be realised by an awesome director with a very convincing script and compelling acting. Now that would be absolutely rad. When poor lil' Ani got his legs all chopped off and started to burn, i felt nothing but embarrasment about the scene. Perhaps that's a reflection on me I don't know smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just got back from seeing it...still plenty of pacing issues, silly composition things (let's stuff the frame with droids! more droids!)... but i liked it. i thought ironically anakin does some of the better acting in the movie (not stiff competition, but in any case) and that his descent into the dark side was pretty powerful stuff.

and moreover, to me it's just a happy closure to this whole mess. there is life after Star Wars, especially, I hope, for Mr. Lucas. i know there will be the spinoff series and merchandising until i die, but the movies are done. i won't say that there might not be 3 more of these silly things, as it's always a possibility, but i'm really keen on what Lucas sets his sights on after all this...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss, when you hear the half cup half/full empty idea. You don't choose either do you? You say its a swimming pool ready to happen!? wink.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    From my P.O.V. the film wasn't very good. What was even more interesting was how reticent everyone I went to the movie was, about admitting it to eachother. Now My POV were the first two films (EPisodes 4 and 5) were excellent!, and Return of The Jedi was Crap, mostly because of the implausibility and focus on the Ewoks. So after that movie Ilkept a cool distance from the franchise. Episodes 1 and II, well the first one was terrible, and a betrayal of 4, and 5. The Second one was <i>okay</i> but the acting was brutally awful. and in both cases, the films felt like they were scripted "on the fly" (pages written the night before they were shot).

Episode 3 actually was script-wise a lot more coherent , but it also felt like it was 2 revisions from being a good movie. 2 years of pre-production of the art, and 30 days of 5 pages a day to write the script.

I do think Lucas is so insulated from reality that he hasn't a clue about quality. Put it this way George Lucas is a supremely talented painter, who is not trying to become a novelist, and writing the novel on canvas with a Windsor-Newton Series 7.

I don't want to put a lot of effort into it in this post as the post is becoming long enough. This movie was not very good. Visually is was seamless, dense and stunning, but it was also poorly edited and anytime Padme was on screen the movie became instantly awful, and plodding. The Sword fights were4e frenetic and incomprehensible, but unlike The Lord of The Rings, this movie was a grind to sit through, though my minor headache and stiff painful neck didn't help, but in general visually it was great, but. The final indignity was the end of the movie.
    "NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"*
    Driving back to the Sheraton with [info]titannic, we discussed the movie. He was originally reticent to voice an opinion of the movie in front of me, but when I said that "It wasn't very good", he relaxed and we discussed what made it bad. Poor General Grievous. a Great villain, and then dispatched like a bitch. However I was amused that his body was still there when his body was still there when Obi Wan made his escape in Grievous's art deco space fighter.

Scott