TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    Prefers chocolate enemas.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    http://totl.net/VisibleMars/

this pretty much quashes any doubt in my mind where to go for good sweeties.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I think rooster's link there has led me to a newfound understanding. Since the time I first heard that the Scottish made a dessert of deep-fried Mars bars, I frankly wondered how in the hell anyone could find that any good to eat. I can clearly see now that American and British Mars bars are, at the very least, constructed differently and I can assume also taste differently. Perhaps this peculiar notion of frying a candy bar has some merit if the candy bar isn't complete crap...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The British Mars bar tastes great! I just assumed the American one was the same ... evidently it's not.
    That said, I've never had a deep-fried one (yet) ... maybe that'll be something to do before I leave.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll mail you an American one if you send me one from Scotland. I'll even throw in a few Hershey bars to *ahem* sweeten the deal! smile.gif
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    I've finally been sucked into this as much as I don't want to be. As an american married to a brit, and having had a LOAD of British and US candy bars/chocolates/etc. And having NUMEROUS 'spats' with said British spouse over Hershey's, Cadburys, Mars, etc etc etc ad nauseum, here's what I've come up with...

No American I have ever known really believes that Hershey bars are in any way superior to what I'll call 'real' chocolate. Be it lindt, ghirardeli, cadbury, godiva, general european, whatever. But! Most of us have a soft-spot for the unique taste of hershey's chocolate. Not because it's great, not because it's good, just because it's what we grew up with and is very familiar. For me, it is a totally good memory thing of camping trips as a brownie, then as a girl scout then as a young adult, sitting around a fire making s'mores out of those yummy 'jet puffed' marshmallows (no other brand compares, imo!(again, cause it's what I grew up with!)), a hershey bar, and the classic graham crackers.

This whole anti-hershey thing is like...saying americans think McD's serves real burgers. 'those burgers suck! They're not even real burgers, ew ew ew...real burgers contain 71% beef, 19% animal fat, and 10% seasonings!!! What's this 10% beef, 30% soy product, and 60% seasoning crap?! THAT'S NO REAL BURGER!'. I LOOOOOVE burgers. Love love love a properly made really tasty super fresh REAL burger, either made at home on the bbq, or at a decent burger place. And yeah, we do have a lot of good burger joints here. But we have way more McD's..And occasionally, I just want a cheeseburger from McD's...not a real burger. Not a 1/2 pound lovely fresh made squishy puffy bun real cheesey nice nice yummy REAL burger, but a chemical-tasting ketchupmustardyonionbitsyfakecheesefakemeatSQUISHEDbun McD's cheeseburger.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    tins: it's true, all of it. these things have their place in our society smile.gif
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    I'd hazard to say every country, and every REGION has it's own 'not really real' version of something that anyone who grew up there LOVES and has a special place for, even if they really prefer the real thing 98% of the time.

/E oh, and I LOOOVE chocolate sauce of almost any sort. And caramel and butterscotch. Preferably warm and thick on ice cream with warm yellow cake with milk chocolate frosting underneath it.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i eat homemade burgers that are 99%mince beef and 1% seasonings. THAT'S a burger...

i heard from a guy i know that american choclate contains a lot of wax and that put me off even wanting to try a hershey bar or a twinkie or anything...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But there isn't any chocolate in Twinkies! Not that I'm suggesting anyone eat them, mind you. There's no wax in Hershey's chocolate, either, as it's actually against the law to use paraffin wax as a food additive. It just *tastes* like it's made with wax.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    what's a twinkie then? i thought they were some kinda choccy bar...
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Cause twinkies are chocolate, you know.

Anyways, speaking of twinkies, my brother-in-law was here for the wedding, and during his stay he decided to try twinkies cause he'd seen them in movies, and people going 'mmm, twinkie!' etc etc...hated em. Said they were sooo gross and hideous. What do you expect from mass-produced sponge cake filled with essentially flavoured shortening? Same concept as the hershey bar, or the McDs..

After a few weeks overseas, I would seriously almost kill for a twinkie. Not cause I love em, cause I cannot remember the last time I had one, but because they're familiar. A few trips ago I started bringing american snacks in my suitcase with me for emergency purposes. I love a load of british food, but because I'm not there all the time I never feel like I can truly relax while eating.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    what's a twinkie then? i thought they were some kinda choccy bar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, haven't you ever seen Ghostbusters? wink.gif Anyway, I really can't say what a Twinkie is, as it's largely built from things that don't actually occur in nature. But they look like this:

twinkie.jpg

In related news, in my effort to bridge the divide and reach across the aisle in this international cacao jihad, I am about to bite into a bar of Lindt's swiss chocolate, purchased mere moments ago at an American grocery store. I'm a uniter, not a divider (though, like most Americans, my preference is definitely for milk chocolate).

Mmmm, chocolatey...
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    vermy - you can order a LOT of the UK candy bars online. ukgoods.com has some, and there's a bunch of other sites as well. I highly recommend NOT doing this in the summer.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    After a few weeks overseas, I would seriously almost kill for a twinkie. Not cause I love em, cause I cannot remember the last time I had one, but because they're familiar. A few trips ago I started bringing american snacks in my suitcase with me for emergency purposes. I love a load of british food, but because I'm not there all the time I never feel like I can truly relax while eating.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shames me to admit this, but the second best meal I had whilst touring the nation of France was from McDonalds. The absolute best meal was some strange, pseudo-corndog with spicy mustard bought as a concession from the gardens at Versailles. I'm such a hick frown.gif

I don't remember eating any British food that really stood out. A lot pot roast and potatoes kinds of meals, things of that nature. Deep-fried food makes me a bit 'seasick', though, so I largely had to forego the tourist food du jour while over there...
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, what I do is the first day we're there (not counting the day of jetlag removal in bed at a hotel close to the airport) and we end up at a pub for lunch or dinner, I get the fish & chips, eat it all with tons of lemon and tartar and vinegar, then after that I eat it, but only after peeling off the breading. I can't do more than 1 day of fried food.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    vermy - you can order a LOT of the UK candy bars online. ukgoods.com has some, and there's a bunch of other sites as well. I highly recommend NOT doing this in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out (and subsequently spare Paul what is apparently a soul-scarring Hershey experience).
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cause twinkies are chocolate, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy shit there's an idea. chocolate twinkies.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Honestly, what I do is the first day we're there (not counting the day of jetlag removal in bed at a hotel close to the airport) and we end up at a pub for lunch or dinner, I get the fish & chips, eat it all with tons of lemon and tartar and vinegar, then after that I eat it, but only after peeling off the breading. I can't do more than 1 day of fried food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's more or less how I am with fried foods. I tried a bite, and wow - that stuff will lube up your intestines in short order. I have to tread carefully around tempura as well, or I'll be regretting it the next morning. It might have been a few bad expriences, but it seems to me that American fried foods aren't as greasy as what I've eaten from foreign countries.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, thanks Tom, my soul is safe for one more day.

I was rather surprised to learn recently that Skittles (the little multicoloured candies) are different in the UK and the USA too - the American versions are made with beef gelatine, making them unsuitable for vegetarians. Skittles here in the UK are vegetarian-friendly. Weird, eh?

And yeah, Tins, there's only so much deep-fried batter a human being can stomach...

(Ooh, I just noticed this'll be the first 1337 post that the new Polycount boards have ever experienced! smile.gif )
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    last night i had a friend come over and i cooked dinner for her, and for dessert i took a ghram pie crust, covered the bottom in a thin coat of hersheys syrup, then sprinkled in some coco flakes, then dipped a lot of tangerine slices in melted milk chocolate, and made a smooth layer of them on the bottom of the crust, then dipped a lot od strawberries in melted dark chocolate and put them in the pie crust on top of the tangerines, then poured the remaining chocolate on top.. sprinkled a little more coco nut, put it in the fridge to cool.. it was the best freakin dessert ever made... EVER
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    also on the subject of regional variations, it recently came to my attention how American coke has quite a different taste/aftertaste than Mexican coke, because Mexican coca cola is still made with real sugar, and American coke production plants were switched over to corn syrup a while ago. i loooooove vanilla coke, but i've always thought that coke starts to taste a little nasty after a while. and the corn syrup is what's responsible!

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow - I was going to mention exactly the same thing. We've got a pretty cool imported foods store here in Cincinnati and I go there every now and again to pay nearly $2 for a glass bottle of Mexican Coca-Cola. Maybe you have to be a cola connoisseur (if there is such a thing) to appreciate it, but real sugar kicks corn syrup's ass around the block. Getting it in glass bottles trumps those sometimes foul-tasting plastic ones as well. I hate that part of American life seems to mean getting cheapass ingredient substitutions in our foods. Wealthiest nation on the planet, but I have to go to elsewhere to get sugar in my cola or cocoa butter in my chocolate :/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    *reads ingredient list*

corn syrup, sugar, dextrose, high fructose corn syrup
    modified wheat starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil
    canola oil, salt, soy lecithin, yellow #6, BHT (preservative)

what am I? laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Something very, very greasy.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    *wonders if he would be called a freak if he admitted he likes dipping his mcdonalds fries in vanilla milkshake or having ketchup and mayo with his chips.....*
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    No, I'll go out on a limb and call you fat though.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    if you go to wendy's and dip the fries in the chocolate milkshake it tastes like banana
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I like to put fries in chili smile.gif

I love fried foods. I was watching "Cooks Tour" on the food network and Tony was in Scotland and he went to a place that would deep fry anything. He had a deep fried hard boiled egg (sounds very good) and a deep fried twinkie (I don't like twinkies) and also a deep fried snikers bar!

I like chocolate and stuff, but I'm more into deep fried animals or vegetables. I love fried fish! That deep fried hard boiled egg keeps calling my name! I love eggs! I like scrambled and hard boiled, but fried eggs are it! I wonder if I could get a deep fried, battered, fried egg? smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder if I could get a deep fried, battered, fried egg? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I shall say a silent prayer for your arteries, in the hopes that you live very close to a good hospital tongue.gif

Incidentally, what is it with Scots and fried food? I've seen lists of things that can actually be ordered there, and it's almost like they're trying to kill themselves. Deep-fried pizza is borderline insanity! I don't care if it's somehow still edible afterwards, that's just not right. I actually read about some place that takes a slice of pizza, throws some chips in the middle, rolls it up, coats it in batter and then fries it - a so-called 'pizza crunch'. Is there simply not enough to do around there to keep cooks away from the beer batter and cooking fat?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I shall say a silent prayer for your arteries, in the hopes that you live very close to a good hospital tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hee hee, do not misconstrue wanting with ever getting smile.gif
    while I do not get sick eating the deep fried stuff, I don't ever seem to be getting it!

There's always hope though, I am still infatuated with your native states bourbon whiskey! laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    My flatmate deep fried an entire meal last year. It worked. Bacon, egg and chips (fries) all in the deep-fryer at the same time. The egg came out perfectly soft-boiled. He hasn't been able to equal that achievement ever again.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    See?! It's a national obsession!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's always hope though, I am still infatuated with your native states bourbon whiskey! laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As all the world knows, a little bourbon after dinner aids the digestion. Why, I think I've even got a little Maker's Mark on the dessert menu for tonight! wink.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall be there in about 16 hours, do not put ice in my drink until I get there smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    just reading this thread has made my arteries clog frown.gif why is there no polycount health plan?
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    I've actually had the deep fried Twinkie and deep fried Oreo cookies.....at the orange county fair. I am ashamed (not really) to say that I enjoyed them both.
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    I want the oreo! That sounds fabu...I tried a deep fried snickers a few years ago at the MN state fair, and I could only handle one bite as it was waaaaay too sweet/rich.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I deep fried my shoes yesterday and they were delicious, it really softens the leather up real nice.