Home General Discussion

this was my weekend

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder
this is not a story of fun...

saturday morning at 530 i woke up with a medium level discomfort going on in my side... by 8, it had grown to very uncomfortable and i was in some serious trouble. i had called 911 and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.
i got a little morphine along the way that of course made me puke along the way. but i'm pretty good at puking and the tech was able to get me a bag in time before i let go.

they gave me some more meds there that finally controlled the pain and a cat scan later reveled i had 2 kidney stones and one was working its way from the kidney to the bladder.

very painful. so since then i've been taking some strong narcotics in hopes of passing this first stone, its 5mm wide. so far its still in there and hasnt even made it into the bladder yet. still got plenty of blood in my urine. i had a follow up xray today to see where it was. they want to give it a few more days, but it may get blasted with the sonic waves solution soon.

oh, and i'm on vacation and my mother is here staying with me for two weeks. joy.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    damn dude that's not pleasent at all! frown.gif Get well soon man!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Damn! Bad luck man, you have my sympathy- hope it resolves itself asap! That really does not sound fun at all.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    oh and a side effect i never hit before... strong narcotics make me constipated. omg, its like coal!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    r... dont let your medical coverage make you wait on the sonic blastin'.. my uncle had a similar situation a few years back, and they made him pass the first one and blast the second. they wanted to run tests on the first one.. if they don't *need* to run tests on yours, i / he recommend getting it blasted ASAP.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    real sorry to hear that, hope it goes well =/
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Good lord man, that sounds like a shitty day indeed! Let them do what ever they need to do to get that shit out of you. Best wishes man, and i hope they get out soon.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    yerah, for those that asked, it is indeed very painful. there towards the worst of it, i dont remember starting to scream and i dont recall stopping, but there in the middle i remember bits of it.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    yikes. may the force be with you!
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Been there, done that... I feel your pain, man. Hang in there and remember, once it reaches your bladder, you're home free!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Coal? Way more information than I wanted to know. Get better so I can stop hearing about this.
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    i know exactly what your going through. I'm sorry to hear it. More likely than not, your going to want to pass your first one so it can get tested for its content makeup.

Drink lots, and lots of water. There isn't much you can do to control the stones, but do your best to stay hydrated. I don't think you want to know the size of my largest stone. At least blasting is an option for you, not an option with my insurance. I would take that in a heart beat.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch.

This is exactly why our mothers told us to stop eating stones as a baby because one day we'd have to pass one through our penis.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't remember that talk...
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    That's the second person I know this week who's had that.

Hope it's all over with soon!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    OH buddy. I dont envy you. You have my most sincere sympathies pardner.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    and I thought exams were bad!
    get well soon rogue!!! we love you
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, sounds like a scary episode frown.gif
    Good luck with those stones and I hope that your pain meds take care of things.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My dad went through this recently. I woke up more than once to him moaning in pain frown.gif. At least it's not something life-threatening, though; when you mentioned calling 911, for a second there I was worried. Well, I'm sure it doesn't help with the pain at all, but I hope you get through this as quick as possible.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Aww man, that sounds awful. The possibility of developing kidney stones is a special phobia of mine. I've seen too many people go through the whole wretched process to look forward to it! Fortunately it can't kill ya, so it'll make you stronger. Especially your urethra. You'll be able to strangle a donkey with that thing after this is all over.

Get well soon and all that!
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Shit that sounds painful.. I can't imagine.

My most excrutiating pain in my life so far is when my appendix was playing up (and later got removed).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daaamn ro - I hope this is over and done with sooner than later. Keep us posted.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes dude! Hope you feel better soon!
    Does this mean we're getting old? =\
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    That sucks.

Hope you get better!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Hope you feel better soon, R.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Hope you get on the mend soon, r
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    O.M.G. I hurt just reading this. Please Lord, don't let me get kidney stones. I'll stop wanking, PLEASE!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    damn man, i fear the day if i ever have to go through that!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I feel your pain! I went through a similar ordeal during crunch on EF2. I was hurting but I figured it go away It hit me hard once I got to work. I tried to drive home but I eventually gave in to the pain, pulled over and called my wife to come get me. I ended up spending a night in the hospital. frown.gif

I think it has something to do with a combination of sitting so much, long hours, and all the damn free sodas we get in the game industry.

Good luck and I hope you get through this quickly!

- BoBo
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    shit man. kidney stones are supposed to be one of the most painful things you can go through. i thought bowel obstruction was bad, but i never screamed like that.

pass them fast dude!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oh Shit Roague. I've had them. Pain so bad i didn't no my last name. pain so bad if there was a Telephone to the Abulance and a .45 Pistol on a table next to each other, I would have had a hard decision which to pic, phone the ambulance, or blown my brains out. It was bad, and ever since then I drink a LOT of fluids a day.

Check and see if they offer Lithotripsy at your local hospital, if the stone hasn't moved. They put you in a soaking tup, and bombard your side with ultrasound to shatter the stone. Hurts like hell, but at least you can piss them out a little easier.

Brutal.

Scott
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    thanks all... so far i'm doing ok, but they havent moved either.

this is actually my 2nd time getting them. I had one in college too. hurt just about as bad although it was smaller than these. they originally thought i was some kid looking to score some narcotics, but when i started writing my social security number and insurance info on my forearms as i felt i was going to pass out, they took me a bit more seriously.

when it actually got pissed out, i didnt notice untill it clinked into the urinal. then i had to dig it out of the urinal cake and take it to the hospital. lovely time.

i'm going to give it a few more days, but if i havent seen one by the end of the week... if not sooner, i will be asking for a dose of the sound waves.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Shitty rogue, I hope you feel better soon. Kidney stones seem to plague my family. My mom says fruit and veggie seeds promote kidney stones, and to avoid them (just the seeds). I never confirmed that so it might not be factual, but I just remove them from the food I eat anyways, not too much work.

-R
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    /me curls into a little ball and shivers
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sucks, but I have heard this is the closest a man will get to how a pregnancy feels.. Except your giving birth to 2 lovely stones...
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What causes it and how can I prevent from getting this?
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Get better r13, hope you'll be well asap.

I don't know anything that can compare to that pain, since I haven't had it myself. The only thing close could be some lower wisdom-teeth I had removed, and the roots broke and the dentist had to knife the root-bits out. When the local anaesthetic was out, man, I was paralyzed with pain for a day.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What causes it and how can I prevent from getting this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drink lots of water, it helps balance your body's pH level. Stay active to promote your bodies lymphatic system to prevent kidney stone forming diseases, and avoid being overweight. Eat a strong alkaline diet, and avoid foods that contain large amounts of calcium oxalate. Avoid soft drinks. The body protects itself from the harmful acidic effects of soft drinks by using calcium. Which is then passed through the urinary system. Some natural herbs can be used to dissolve the stones. I tell every person I meet to stop consuming soft drinks. Promoting an acidic environment within the body can lead to all kinda of harmful shit...like cancer. It's basically the advice experts have been giving us for years. It is also hereditary. My dad had it bad, and I plan on doing everything I can to avoid it. Although, my parents drink about 6 Mountain Dews per day.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Man Removes His Own Kidney Stone

12/02/2004

An unemployed Bosnian performed kidney stone surgery on himself because he did not have any money to pay medical bills.
    Emir Javoras, 29, from Javor, used a razor blade and needle to remove the stones, news agency Fena reported.

Javoras said: "I woke up in the middle of the night in terrible pain, but I couldn't ask doctors to do anything about it because I am poor, have no money and no health insurance. I noticed my genitals had swollen and the pain was enormous.

"The stones had passed out of my kidney and had got stuck in my urinary tract. I cut the skin under my testicles and with the help of a sterilized needle I managed to dig out three stones."

Doctors in the nearby town of Zenica said they were shocked someone had managed to perform such an operation by themselves, and cleaned and restitched the wound for free.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Dare any of us complain about a bad day after hearing Emir's story?
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    day5 of stone watch...

woot, i pissed out... some soft tissue. looks like a blood clot. urine wasnt filled with any more blood than before... so i'll say its more positive than not...

i got it in a jar. i'm thinking i'll name it gauss.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Damn r13.. I feel for you.. nausea from morphine (to start) is no fun,.,. I went though that with the back surgury after 9-11.. and immense pain in general sucks.. Hope you get through it soon and with as little discomfort as you can get away with..

Good luck my friend..
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When ElysiumGX mentioned PH.. It sparked my mem. I saw a late night show talking about how important it is to make our bodies alkaline more than acidic. I've heard it here there and everwhere a few more times too.

I was curious about foods that help.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

Of course.. I dont know how acurate this is.. After all its on the SuperInfohighway.

Its terrible that you had to go through all that. I hope it never happens again, and that you take any preventitive measures you can for the future. To be honest.... everyone needs to drink more water Period and less Soda-pop.

At work... people cruise through Pop like no tomorrow. I go for plain ole water from a purifier. Its so nice to just leave pop in the dust.
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    I went through a kidney stone a couple of years ago so my thoughts are with you R13.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R13, you must be happy to have gotten that rock out of you.

Thanks for the info Elysium.
    I need to start drinking more water blush.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow,sounds painful. I complain if I cut my finger a little
    hope you feel better anyhow.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    frown.gif aww man this sounds absolutely horrible. Hope you get well soon. All the best hope you're mum is well too.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Rogue bad news, at least you caught it and were not in the mountains hiking or what not. I had a co-worker who told me the pain was worse than his heart attack, you must be one tough Hombre. Goodluck and a speedy recovery.!
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    wow man thats crazy, i couldnt even imagine that kind of pain. i just drank like a gallon of water after reading this.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i just drank like a gallon of water after reading this.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the average amouth you're suppose to drink each day.

good luck R13.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Going back into the doctor today at 4 for some issues with a side effect from one of the drugs. i'll spare the decription at the moment as its... more personal than before. i'll share later once thru it.