Home General Discussion

Portfolio Sites: A Rant

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
For the past few days I have been reviewing artists' portfolio sites to fill positions on a project I am Art Managing. I have since, developed a new pet peeve:

I am sick of trying to navigate fancy web sites with super neat-o Flash and/or Shockwave layouts and interfaces. For those of you trying to get jobs in the industry:

MAKE YOUR PORTFOLIO SITE SIMPLE!!!

Something that loads QUICKY, with as few pages as possible, containing images linked to larger images of your work and a resume page. That's it. No need for a flashy interface. I am not shopping for a web designer, I am looking for a game artist. Show me your creativity and skills in game art - not in web design.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    curious. how would you feel about a shockwave 3d section where you could actually look at the models realtime?
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I did some simple flash work to my site, would this get on your nerves? www.rage-unleashed.biz

I like to think I kept it simple, quick and fast loading enough that the flash elements are subtle enough to not piss viewers off...I've heard either way. Some people just don't want any animation or flash PERIOD, others think it is quick and subtle enough that it doesn't matter. Personally I just want to add a little more since I know flash well.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i hate the sites that say click to enter, then show a flash popup containing a website after a 20 second animation. a website should not resemble a playstation loading screen. and graphic navigation buttons should be kept simple. thumbnail images should be small, and no large background images. shockwave files should be linked to, and not embed within the site with other files. and for crying out loud...no MUSIC! Your music sucks!

good rant.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    curious. how would you feel about a shockwave 3d section where you could actually look at the models realtime?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I looked at recently that sparked my rant tongue.gif

I really just want to click some thumbnails and view some work to evaluate it. I would rather see a render of multiple views of the model than a full turn around. Show some nice renders with textures (if you did them) and some grey with wireframe overlays. Good enough as far as I am concerned.

Rage: Your site is PERFECT, IMO. Even though you used Flash, it's not difficult to navigate and loads quickly.

Ely: Agreed. I also was thinking about the music thing in regards to demo reels the other day. For chrissakes do NOT use popular music on your reel. I immediately veto'ed an artist for using Linkin Park. Granted, if his work had been impressive he still would have gotten work from us, but that's just another hurdle you are putting yourself up against; someone viewing your reel may not like your taste in music.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    My favorite types of portfolios come on CD and consist of Directories with Stuff In 'Em.

My theory to explain hyper-flashiness in portfolio sites is that there's an art teacher out there who's never actually been in a position to vet art applicants, but who is telling his students that true artists aren't allowed to let any part of their professional impression be merely functional.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I wholeheartedly agree with you AZ. I refuse to download plugins to view anything. I refuse to make more than 3 clicks to see the first portfolio piece. I refuse to wait for loading screens.

Anyone who does hiring will be pissed off if you waste even a minute of their time, and you will definitely lose the job. Chances are that the person doing the hiring will be looking at dozens of websites and reels. If the body of your work is not immediately evident, you will not get the job.
  • NoSeRider
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In portifolio sites such as mine, that have splash pages, before entering the main site (and I plan to put a good image on my splash page) should a direct link to a the gallery be wise? Or if the splash page has a picture of the person's best work, is it better to show that to employers, then they click into the gallery?

Garbled that question a bit, simply put: for showing employers, is a splash page with a good image better, or linking directly to the gallery better?
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I get the feeling people want you to show just as much creativity in you website as you do in your work.......
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My website is as simple as it gets.
    www.AdamBromell.com
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    So pissy. Heavy flow this month?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Not enough coffee break maybe
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rage: Your site is PERFECT, IMO. Even though you used Flash, it's not difficult to navigate and loads quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you >want< separate windows cluttering up your workspace? (No dissing to Rage)
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree with AZ. Flash sites are teh suck
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know...I don't think I've ever asked anyone for feedback from my online portfolio. If you ever get a chance, check it out and lemme know what you think (PM me preferable so this thread stays clean). I haven't done a good update in a while, and some things are not functional in non-IE browsers, but aside from that....it's simple....to the point where it may be unattractive. No popups, no flash....just frames.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nose: Not looking for character or concept artists

Rage: I don't mind a splash page. My main gripe is that a portfolio site should load quickly and be easy to navigate. Yours is.

Adam: Agreed. You get an "A" from me for the day wink.gif

Soul: I was gonna reply, but then realised that you're not worth it.

B1ll: Plenty of coffee - just tired of looking at people showing off their skills as a web designer as opposed to their skills as a 3d artist

Oxy: I don't mind the seperate windows. It's easy enough to close them.

Ribking: Your site is fine, IMO.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I wanted a site that loaded fast and was easy to navigate... no Flash here.
    I still don't like that my site opens up renders in a new window, I'm gonna overhaul it this summer, streamline it and generally make it everything-compatible and rapidly loading.

The last portfolio I sent out was a .ZIP file with .JPG renders inside.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a designer for just about every kind of digital media there is, and I would never say that form should be discounted - aesthetic sensibility is something an artist should have regardless of medium, and a blank page with a bunch of blue hypertext links isn't going to cut it with me. The problem is, people often try to do too much with their webpages rather than choose a clean design that lets the content do the talking. I think a single pop-up window is fine, as long as you really maximize the utility that it offers. Having a page of thumbnails that each spawn a separate window is just bad business, but a window that can group certain pieces - by theme, by project, by process, etc - and allow you to navigate through them collectively is a good idea. You get a bigger presentation space that way, but you're keeping things contained.

His site has been mentioned here before, but I'll bring it up again - Pior's 'flipbook' element on his portfolio site is just about perfect. He's got a separate window highlighting 10 or 15 pieces of his work that the viewer can page through. The full content of his portfolio can still be accessed in the traditional manner, via same-page links on his site. The pages are super-clean, too; aside from his nifty splash-page graphic, there's nothing that doesn't serve both form and function ideals.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    "I was going to reply, but then I figuered you're not worth it"
    really, a very dumb, vain and pretencious thing to say. I mean who the hell..

Anyways, every site that has flashy sprinkles, cream covering and umbrealla decorations is frustrating, because what if you don't want to see it all that? Sometimes you aren't given the choice.. and if you have so little respect to the artist (or too much for yourself) that you cant appreciate what they spent hours on for 20 seconds, try reading a Zen book. You *may learn to see the beauty in anytihng, not just seemingly annoying websites.

The important thing, I think, is to distinguish a more personal site from a portfolio site. A portfolio should include only the top, the best, the edge of your work. Sometimes we combine, we include a little lesser work, thats okay as long as it doesn't make the rest seem real bad. I think Rorshach does it the right way in his "extra" portfolio webby..

Ribking: I had a looksee at your website, very nice models!
    I thought "using" other people's textures though is false, even if it stated at the bottom that it's not yours, I'd respect your work more if you show it honestly as what it is... A model. and pretty good ones too man.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    I've always made a point of treating my portfolio site as a gallery, i.e. a series of blank white rooms in which my art is showcased. It's plain HTML with text links, no colour, and each piece has a page with a table of thumbnails. My personal site has gaudy and vulgar site art, but my portfolio is always plain. I did a site for a friend a few years ago, which was similar, but had colour, as the emphasis of his job-seeking site was on text content.

The reason for this is something my mother once said to me: "show a prospective employer only what they need in order to consider you as a candidate". She's been in hiring/firing roles since I was in my early teens, so I took what she said as authoritative.

That said I think a job-seeking site should be attractive in its simplicity, so I planned my layout carefully, therefore despite being a very plain site I think my portfolio is attractive.

I don't care to post my portfolio publically, as it contains work that I have only got permission to show to prospective employers, but if you're at all interested in seeing it AZ I can link you to it smile.gif
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a correct way to approach thumbnails? Some people's sites have the thumbnail goto the image on the same window, then you click back to go back to the gallery. Others (like mine) open a new window, whether one window opens and stays the one window for pics or whether each thumbnail opens a new window seems like a person to person issue because when a thumbnail pops up a window for me, I look at the image, then close the window instintively, do many people minimize such windows rather than close? Does this make or break the site?
  • pogonip
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is there a correct way to approach thumbnails? Some people's sites have the thumbnail goto the image on the same window...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about that too the other day. I have set my site too so that all images open in a new window. I personally like this but a lot of people like to navigate with the "back" option and would thenm like to keep everything in the same window.
    What I don't like when I browse somebody's portfolio is very thumbnails or thumbnails that don't show the complete image of what it's linking too. I like to know what I am going to see beforehand. But then again, that's also a personal preference.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "I was going to reply, but then I figuered you're not worth it"
    really, a very dumb, vain and pretencious thing to say. I mean who the hell..

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not trying to come off as any sort of "authority" on what makes a good portfolio site. Rather, I am venting at what I have found to be personally annoying over the course of the past few days during my first time being involved in the hiring process for a project. In any case, it seems as if the majority of people here seem to agree with me.

I agree that thumbnails should at least give you a hint as to what you will be looking at, if not the entire image. I've seen thumbnails on sites that they may have well used a black box rather than the portion of the linked image they chose.

Let me just re-iterate my main points on what I like to see in a portfolio site:

-Loads Quickly
    -Looks Nice
    -Easy to Navigate

Milla: I've seen your site. Unless you've changed it since you did contract work for LD last year. I'd love to see it again if you've updated it since, though. PM it to me wink.gif
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    The last portfolio I made (which ended up getting me a job) was a single page with all my art on it as thumbnails (texture flats + renders + in game pics) on a beige background framed in dark brown on both sides. At the top I had a link to my resume which was put in the same scheme as the portfolio and a page with references and their contact info.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    My site's terrible. I wish I had a spoon.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Portfolio? I don't need no steenking portfolio! Here is my portfolio...

Hire me and move me out there where you are. Where it's always cloudy and it rains all the time (that's my kind of weather). Pay me a ridiculous salary and I'll promise you this...

All your models will have really nice zebra or tiger striped camo on them and I will also devote a (semi-large) percentage of my wages to keeping you drunk and happy at the local "Bump'n grind" establishments. (Of course I will be drunk and happy too) I will introduce you to the fine art of bourbon and scotch drinking also!

Also chiQ still has me linked prominently on her site so hire her too smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    With you all the way AZ!
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, for linking to Dukie I reckon I should be hired....totally. Never mind that I'm a green card hell just waiting to happen laugh.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i recently got my portfolio together (for the first time, in some ways), and i had mocked up some pages of my concepts on about 4 pages, intending to of course thumbnail them.

but the more i talked about it, especially with people who have had to review portfolios... i ended up leaving the full-size images layed up, end-to-end, on 4 pages divided by section.

because let's think about it: in a traditional portfolio, there's a great stress put on what the first and last pieces you put in it, since they'll be what the reviewer will see first and last.

so why the hell are we thumbnailing images? all it's encouraging is for people to click at random (not what you want), or to be making some sort of judgment call based on a teeny thumbnail (which are often misleading). thumbnails are great for your 'normal' site, but i felt like leaving my images in-line for my portfolio was a good idea.

like fritzthecat said, "i try to imagine the person reviewing my portfolio as being the laziest person in the world. you want them to be able to see all your work with as few clicks as possible." and i have to agree with him. not that people looking at portfolios are lazy (AZ may be an exception laugh.gif ), but that they get so burned out looking at cluttered, difficult portfolios that they just don't want to hassle.

so i say cast off your thumbnails! in-line images 4-eva!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I will also devote a (semi-large) percentage of my wages to keeping you drunk and happy at the local "Bump'n grind" establishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seattle area has the naughtiest strip clubs in the country you don't even know !!!!! shocked.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    On my site, 2 clicks gets you to a full sized image of a piece of artwork. I use large thumbnails (150 in height) so that you can see clearly what you are getting. I organize them from my best piece I want them to see first, to my pieces I think are also good, but not quite as fantastic as my top image. I also regularly cull out my art as it becomes dated and I think it no longer represents my skill set.

Also gauss, not thumbnailing works for you, because each one of your pieces is a single image. For us modeler/texture artists, especially in this multiple maps day and age, need a way to show people only whats relevant at what times. First go through someone might only look at my composite finished images, but then want to look at my normal map and my color map to examine how I do things. My site would be an absolute mess if I just had the full sized images up.

Besides I WANT to be able to pick and choose based on what interests me, but I do agree thumbnails should be larger as a whole, so that I can see what I'm clicking.

www.poopinmymouth.com for those of you too lazy to check my profile.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda out of date, but I had some good response to my portfolio (It's out of date because I'm not currently seeking work).

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/portfolio/2k4/

And there's also a very temporary one I did before this (Volition wanted to see my work ASAP and I didn't have my portfolio finished, so this was a stopgap to tide them over until I did, they were happy with it I guess). This is about as simple as it gets wink.gif

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/hosted/portfolio/
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=35653&an=0&page=0#35653

Well, Dabu just got hired.
    http://www.dabudesign.com/

So, I don't think the simplicity of a website is all that to get a job....something else came into play.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    NoSeRider: I wonder if the people who looked at Dabu's portfolio just downloaded the .ZIP file on his front page, or actually went through the whole Flash interface...

Pogonip: Heh, I notice you linked directly to Hawkprey's main page, not the actual base link of www.hawkprey.com - because Hawkprey's site has an unnecessary "Enter site!" image, which serves no purpose at all, and in fact rather annoys me, because his site is otherwise fairly good.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I think what AstroZombie wants to say is not that he actually hates flashsites or portolfio sites using flash, but so many sites are using flash totally unneccessary and in a total senseless way. i mean hey, why do i need moving shit on the site if the stuff you want to present can be simply thumbnailed? Also most people misunderstand that a good game artist is not neccesseraly a good designer. If you are specialized on creating realsitic weapons you probalby dont know much about shape color and form, tradtional design. So dont try to build it in. Though the more "professional" artist should know basic stuff like that. Anyway, it DOES NOT make any sense to wait minutes over minutes for crappy flash animations (which are mostly just crap) just to look at simple jpgs at the end. If you want to use flash, use it wisely. You are proefficient in flash? just write it in you resume.

A very good example of wise use of flash is peppis site:
    http://www.peterboehme.com

Note: He studied traditional design! Clear and easy simple design. Thats how it should look like.

As for my site i guess i made a wise decision after realizing that really nobody does download a ZIP. I have a little portolfio with thumbs. If somebody is more interested in my art you can download the complete portolfio. Not want to say its perfect, but hey it works and its fast.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seattle area has the naughtiest strip clubs in the country you don't even know !!!!! shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Portland has the most strip clubs per capita of any city in the country. I can think of 4 strip clubs off hand within a 4 block radius of our offices at LD tongue.gif

We also have the most comic shops per capita ... not sure what the connection is there
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I agree that some sites really spend too much effort on presentation. Pet peeves are sites that work in a tiny portion of the screen. I imagine art directors have screens set at fairly high resolutions, so you end up with a postage stamp in the middle of the screen. Normally these spawn separte windows for images.

The web is fluid, a site should adapt, and work in anything.

Happy to supply the code for my image solution.

*click on sig*
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Portland has the most strip clubs per capita of any city in the country. I can think of 4 strip clubs off hand within a 4 block radius of our offices at LD tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but do you have contact danses? I'm actually asking, cause I never knew there were places where you could touch the girl until I came to Montreal.

For my portfolio site, I just had all my items listed in columns, with thumbnails and descriptions. I'll admit for mine, I had ambiguous thumbnails. Bleh. But, it was really easy to navigate (all items linked off 1 page) and had my resume in *.doc, *.pdf, and *.html.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Whoah, guys!

Im sorry, but I think we here in Las Vegas probably have the best strip clubs...and the most of them.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Um.. does LV have..

Alcohol w/ nude?
    touching? (yes you can touch them , no pink or stink touching tho')
    full nudity?
    Spine meltn' East bloc acents?

How did a thread about sites get to this?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

How did a thread about sites get to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I moved it in that direction while I was giving AZ my resume smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

We also have the most comic shops per capita ... not sure what the connection is there

[/ QUOTE ]

Im moving to Portland ASAP and im not even kidding ! Strip clubs and comic shops ....and it's SOOOOO beautiful there !
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Um.. does LV have..

Alcohol w/ nude?
    touching? (yes you can touch them , no pink or stink touching tho')
    full nudity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets just say in Seattle they sell condoms in the strip club bathroom for a reason confused.gif ..not that imto that cool.gif
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM......Sett you read my mind!!!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with AZ on this one 100%

I had to go thru about 40 demo reels this last month and quiet a number of websites.

-Often the info I wanted was burried behind 3 or 4 clicks.

-Many didn't link their phone numbers or emails

-Most spent more ti researching web tech than game tech.

I think Rorshack has the best mix of style and ease of use. I copied his layout for my site for the most part.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    i recently got my portfolio together (for the first time, in some ways), and i had mocked up some pages of my concepts on about 4 pages, intending to of course thumbnail them.

but the more i talked about it, especially with people who have had to review portfolios... i ended up leaving the full-size images layed up, end-to-end, on 4 pages divided by section.

because let's think about it: in a traditional portfolio, there's a great stress put on what the first and last pieces you put in it, since they'll be what the reviewer will see first and last.

so why the hell are we thumbnailing images? all it's encouraging is for people to click at random (not what you want), or to be making some sort of judgment call based on a teeny thumbnail (which are often misleading). thumbnails are great for your 'normal' site, but i felt like leaving my images in-line for my portfolio was a good idea.

like fritzthecat said, "i try to imagine the person reviewing my portfolio as being the laziest person in the world. you want them to be able to see all your work with as few clicks as possible." and i have to agree with him. not that people looking at portfolios are lazy (AZ may be an exception laugh.gif ), but that they get so burned out looking at cluttered, difficult portfolios that they just don't want to hassle.

so i say cast off your thumbnails! in-line images 4-eva!

[/ QUOTE ]

erm, so the interested viewer can go back to their favoite one without trawling pages of images?