normal mapped demon

xaulf
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
xaulf polycounter lvl 18
hey I'm new here,
heres my first Zbrush model

xaf.JPG

amd here's the low poly base made in milkshape, it's 3500 polys, I'll probably get rid of a few polys.

low.JPG

I'd like to put him in Doom 3, but I'll have to make all new animations so that may or may not happen.

I want to make the normal map in 3ds max 7 but when I try to import the high poly from zbrush into max it's full of holes, and some of the faces are reversed, when I export as tris there are half as many holes.
I'm confused confused.gif

anyway, I'm in the middle of unwrapping it right now and I plan on adding more detail in Zbrush.

any crits would be much appreciated grin.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, but I'm wondering why you modelled it in Milkshape when you say you have 3ds max 7? ZBrush works a lot better with quad geometry, and AFAIK milkshape only works in triangles. You'd have a much cleaner mesh if the control mesh was quads - tris can lead to pinching of geometry and odd smoothing in ZBrush.

The final mesh is nice though, should look great with a good diffuse and specular map.

Are you using .OBJ format for exporting from ZBrush? I've never had any problems with geometry when using OBJ files between Max and ZBrush. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that you're using a Milkshape model as a base mesh, that's the only thing I can think of.

MoP
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    when I try to import the high poly from zbrush into max it's full of holes, and some of the faces are reversed

[/ QUOTE ]

Max does that. It's there way of saying "don't model in anything other than 3ds Max, or we'll destroy your entire workflow, bitch". Its most powerful feature. Communist bastards.

Why the hell are you modeling in Milkshape when you 'have' 3ds Max and Zbrush?
  • xaulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xaulf polycounter lvl 18
    well, I only just got access to max, I've been modelling in milkshape for a while and I made the base about a month ago
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    good milksahpin,
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    are they actual holes or inverted normals?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Doom 3 can render its own normalmaps. I'm not sure what approach MAX uses but D3 produces very few seams.

I imagine that animating this thing in Milkshape won't be fun...

His hands look more like tree trunks, the palms are too flat.

Elysium: It's capitalist bastards, corporate lock-in is a tactic used to prevent customers from going to the competition by making the switch unnecessarily expensive. Communism wouldn't care about whose software you use.
  • xaulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xaulf polycounter lvl 18
    kdr- well, the plan is to animate it in max, I might just import the low poly to animate and export and render the normal map separately, and yeah less trunk-like hands would definitely be better for mauling

kevin- actually both, some places have backwards faces and some places have nothing there

damn, capitalism sucks
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    normal maps from max probably arnt totally compatable with doom3
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    capitalism, right. my mistake.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting horney just lookin at this.
  • xaulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xaulf polycounter lvl 18
  • xaulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xaulf polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man, looking good indeed. The nose needs something. Not sure what. Perhaps check out some actual creature noses? I dunno it just feels a bit simplistic. Interesting to see that that's a pretty low rez base mesh. So no significant problems from going from such a big leap in model resolution from that to the amount of detail you have there in zbrush?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Looks exelent , loads of lovly details ....

the teeth bother me slightly , all his horns are curved , but his teeth are straight , they just look a little stumpy...

the muscle structure looks great tho ...