Home General Discussion

Who Shall Win the Superbowl?

mr.toast
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
I predict its going to be New England and Philly, with Philly being the underdog though, i truely think that this will be there year, with owens gone and after watching the vikings game, thier recievers are starting to step it up, and brian westbrooke was always there best offensive weapon,

whats your guys opinion

Replies

• Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    New England is going to win it.

The Steelers are the better overall team, but Ben Roethlisberger has been struggling at times during the second half of the season and appears to have hit that "rookie wall" coaches talk about. He'll wind up costing them big time against the Patriots who are winnners and won't miss two easy game winning field goals.

I think Atlanta is going to beat Philly. Andy Reid is a perennial choker in big games, and without Owens their offense is pretty ordinary. I would like them to win because I like McNabb, but I think that Atlanta is just too dominant on the ground, and Philly has a suspect run defense.

Regardless, the Superbowl will be won in dominating fashion by whichever AFC team gets there. They have owned the NFC this year.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see the Falcons win it. I don't particularly like the Patriots, and I guess it would be nice to see the Eagles win it after getting slow close for the last three consecutive years, but for some reason I find myself rooting for the Falcons confused.gif. I don't watch football much anymore, anyway.
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    remember this? laugh.gif

vicknailed0lq.gif
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    pats vs eagles
    pats will win because i hate the eagles smile.gif
  • sal_manilla
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    as a Cowgirl fan since 1970, I'm sure you can understand my love for the Eagles, Sal smile.gif
    I'm sure you can reciprocate laugh.gif
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    i really dont liek football but my hometown team is taking it this year again. GO PATS!

now all we need is the bruins (if nhl ever comes back) and the celtics (if larry bird ever comes out of retirement) to win, and i will be a happy man since my team the red sox won it all!
  • Deimos
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    I can't stand the Pats ever since they robbed us in the snow a few years ago (i'm a Raiders fan), and so anyone but them is good for me...haven't they won enough the last few years anyway - time to let someone else get a ring wink.gif

In the absence of the Raiders, i'd quite like to see Atlanta take it; they have a stylish uniform, some great players (especially Mike Vick), and the manner of their victory on Saturday against the Rams really impressed me - lots of great offensive football made the game great to watch - it was certainly miles better than the letdown which was [email="Indy@NE"]Indy@NE[/email] yesterday (what happened to the colts' catching ability, and why did Manning attempt no long throws, and instead continuously try the run...James was getting absolutely nowhere against that stingy NE D-line and linebacker corps...).
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm taking the Falcons over Philadelphia. Vick on is day is unstoppable and you'd need a defense like Pittsburgh to stop him (Or New England). New England or Pittsburgh? Depends how will Big Ben plays, along with Cory Dillon for NE
  • Malekyth
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I just hope someone with fantastic breasts has some sort of wardrobe malfunction during the halftime show.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Unlike last year?

Fuck she's Michael Jackson with Fake tits.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it was certainly miles better than the letdown which was [Email]Indy@NE[/Email] yesterday (what happened to the colts' catching ability, and why did Manning attempt no long throws, and instead continuously try the run...James was getting absolutely nowhere against that stingy NE D-line and linebacker corps...).

[/ QUOTE ]

The dome wonder boys had to play against a team that had already beat them this year and they had to play outside, in the snow! Hard to catch! hee hee!

I just love the fact the Mr. Steve is a Raiders fan! smile.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing Atlanta go, but I think Atlanta in Philadelphia is gonna be a re-run of the Colts in Boston frown.gif
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm taking the Falcons over Philadelphia. Vick on is day is unstoppable and you'd need a defense like Pittsburgh to stop him (Or New England). New England or Pittsburgh? Depends how will Big Ben plays, along with Cory Dillon for NE

[/ QUOTE ]

keep in mind that Philadelphia is tied second this season in points allowed with New England, while Pittsburgh is first by a little bit, also keep in mind that the last 2 games they lost they kept out most of thier starting players so those stats would have probably have been lower if they tried the last 2 games, on the other subject, as much i would love to see a rematch on superbowl sunday between philly and pittsburgh, i know that isnt going to happen since the pats are on a roll and are probably going to crush the steelers if Big Ben is going to continuine to play like a rookie like last week

i doubt TO will be back by superbowl, if he did then he will make a really big differance in the game as well as pumping up the morale of the eagles
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking that Vic is going to get laid out by Philly's 260 lb freakishly fast middle linebacker, Jeremiah Trotter. It'll be all downhill for the Falcons after that, and Philly will win.

Pittsburg vs. New England will be a real slugfest, but I think New England will pull it out, even though they lost the first matchup. If Corey Dillon does what he did last weekend, he'll be tough to stop. I think that Brady has too much experience, and will outshine the rookie Roethlisberger.

So, Philly vs. New England in the superbowl, and New England will just have too much discipline for Philly. They won't make any mistakes, and will pull out a win.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    In my heart I want Pittsburg to win simply to see their QB cap what is one of the greatest rookie seasons I've ever seen. In actuality I think it will be Philly or New England.

- BoBo
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    as much love as i have for the eagles, this was really disturbing, but thats philly fans for you

"From star tribune"

Vikings fans take a beating in Philly, too
    Paul Levy, Star Tribune
    January 17, 2005 PHILLY0117

PHILADELPHIA -- Rough game. But maybe a rougher crowd.

The Minnesota Vikings lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 27-14 Sunday -- ending the Vikings' playoff hopes and season. But all the mother of Vikings lineman Chris Liwienski could talk about was how she and her family were physically abused by fans in the upper deck of Lincoln Financial Field.

Wearing one of her son's purple Vikings jerseys, Marie Hoppe said she was pushed repeatedly by hostile Philadelphia fans. Her daughter-in-law, Christina Liwienski, said she was hit in the head by a plastic beer bottle.

"We were warned that Philadelphia fans would be rough, the worst in the league, and my son begged me not to wear this jersey," said Hoppe, of suburban Detroit. "Fans are supposed to come to games, not thugs. But these people had their hands on me constantly.

"What are these people doing at sporting events like this?"

The announced crowd of 67,722 seemed determined to enhance a well-earned reputation as the National Football League's crudest. But the Eagles -- the top seed and class of the National Football Conference -- didn't really need any extra help against a Vikings team that finished the season 9-7 and looked every bit like the conference's lowest playoff seed.

With Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb dissecting the Minnesota secondary early and passing for two touchdowns, and facing a tough Philadelphia defense, the Vikings looked very much like a team that lost four of its final five regular season games and not like a team that upset the Packers in Green Bay in the playoffs' first round.

"Giving up 21 points in the first half doesn't help," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said.

Obnoxious and hostile

The Vikings offered their fans hope when quarterback Daunte Culpepper's 7-yard touchdown run in the second quarter cut the Eagles' lead to 14-7.

"We still have a chance," Marie Hoppe said during the third quarter.

But she and her family had long given up on the Eagles fans. Joe Liwienski, Chris' 22-year-old brother, said he attended the "basketbrawl" game in Auburn Hills, Mich., where members of the Indiana Pacers exchanged punches with Detroit Pistons fans.

"This was 10 times worse," he said.

"The fans were obnoxious," Chris Liwienski said from the Vikings locker room. "They were chanting stuff to Randy [Moss] throughout the game. You expect that, but you don't expect them to abuse people in the stands trying to enjoy the game."

The few fans who came to the game wearing Vikings purple were greeted by a boisterous and hostile crowd that began sharpening their fangs in parking lots near the stadium at 6 a.m., presumably stirring their alcoholic beverages with rusty nails.

Mike Hughes, 39, of Excelsior, wearing a purple Randy Moss jersey on his back and his heart on his sleeve, walked right through the Eagles crowd that hurled obscenities and promised to throw even more at him.

"Batteries," he said. "They're threatening to throw batteries.

"I went to all but three Vikings road games this year," Hughes said. "I can tell you that Green Bay is nothing like this."

Scott Bain, 33, also wearing a Moss jersey, said he "never felt so lonely" as he walked briskly through a parking lot crowded with Eagles fans chanting obscenities and holding "Jacksonville or Bust" signs.

"We had upper deck seats, but we got so many warnings about what might happen to us that we sold them and bought club level seats on the street," said Bain, formerly of Anoka and now a lawyer in Washington, D.C. "We were told it was safer there."

Said Steve Beckman, 47, of New Brighton, in a well-worn (but not yet battered) Moss jersey: "They warned us not to wear this attire, but we didn't listen. I even rode the subway here.

"They told us that if the Vikings win, we'd better take a cab home, for our own protection."

"We still better watch out for batteries," said Jimmy Bahnson, 22, of Fridley, wearing a Culpepper jersey.

Philadelphia, which has lost the three previous conference title games, will try again next Sunday against Atlanta.

"How many disappointments can Philadelphia fans take?" asked John Groses, 74, of Media, Pa.

"This city's been through hell with its sports teams," said Tom Jones, of Milton, Del., whose bus is painted Eagles green, has Eagles logos in every window and has become a pregame meeting place for Eagles cheerleaders, fans and anyone looking for a photo opportunity or to commiserate.

"We gear ourselves up for these games, but the worst has happened so many times."

The worst happened in the upper deck, in the corner of the end zone, Chris Liwienski said.

"I tried to warn them," he said of his family. "It's like these fans have hit a new low."
  • tubboy
    Offline / Send Message
    tubboy polycounter lvl 18
    Baseball Right?????
    :P
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    lol its Philadelphia!

Buddy Ryan! Snowballs packed with batteries thrown at Cowboy fans and players! Enforced non-drinking policies!

!
  • Jeff Gran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Right on Deimos!

Fuck Tom Brady and the Patriots. Their 2002 rings should be taken away and their "dynasty" will always have an asterisk in the Bay Area. Incomplete pass my ass. All I can say now is I hope they lose.
  • EarthQuake
    Packers!! bleh, maybe next year. If favre dosent retire(which i doubt he will) and they get some tallent on defense. Would have lost to philly if the vikings didnt bitch slap them.

I see pats-eagles tho i would like to see steelers-eagles just because the great season they've had.
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I'm rooting for the Steelers. The Steelers vs. Patriots will be my Superbowl this weekend. tongue.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'm thinking it'll be Eagles-Patriots. But it'll really depend on how Rothesburger plays I think. He definately played like a rookie at times during the Jets game. Hopefully he'll be a bit less rattled this weekend. Ultimately though, the Pats are just insanely tough. To dismantle the Colts like they did was really impressive.
  • e_x
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol its Philadelphia!

Buddy Ryan! Snowballs packed with batteries thrown at Cowboy fans and players! Enforced non-drinking policies!

!

[/ QUOTE ]

And they use to have a courthouse in the old stadium so they could prosecute rowdy fans during the game!
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    I hear paul Mcartney has a wardrobe malfunction planned for his halftime preformance
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What's this Superbowel everyone's talking about?
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    STEELERS! fuckyeah!
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    well today is the day for the championships, iam rooting for eagles and steelers in my hopes for a superbowl rematch with the steelers, kickoff in philly is in a few....
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    iam rooting for eagles and steelers in my hopes for a superbowl rematch with the steelers

[/ QUOTE ]

The Eagles' only Super Bowl appearance came against the Oakland Raiders, not the Steelers.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't abide an all Penn Super Bowl so I'm going for Eagles vs Pats.
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    iam talking about a rematch from the loss they recieved from the steelers earlier in the season
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    damn after 3 dissapointing years philly finally made it to the superbowl, even though there is a slim chance that we will win since new england is on a rampage, i can only just hope that we can come through
  • sal_manilla
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    10 to 3, patriots, i personally find this game more entertaining then the eagles falcons game, since these two teams are more evenly matched then the last game, with new england being the slightly better team IMO
  • Deimos
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    God damnit they won by a fieldgoal again frown.gif
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, they're getting into the habit of three point wins. At least the games are interesting.

I just noticed that this thread is discussing the Super Bowel, which is pretty funny.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after much thought, I decided I did not want the Patriots to win 3 Superbowls in 4 years (its the Cowboys record) so I had a change of heart and pulled hard for the Eagles.

As a Cowboy fan I can say that I have never done that before in my life! Sorry Sal, maybe next time!

On the upside, at the party I was at I won 3 fifty dollar shotgun pots. So 150 dollar return on a 60 dollar investment lifted my spirits a little smile.gif
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    poor clock management in the 4th quarter and those turnovers were the eagles downfall, TO had an outstanding game considering he had surgery a month back, and pinkston played alot better then i would had expected, it was a good game though, congrats to the pats fans out there, P.S. i hope freddy mitchell gets released next year
  • Cannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon polycounter lvl 18
    I'm happy as long as Terrel Owens doesn't get a ring. I hate that guy.

Oh and congrats to the Pats.
  • sal_manilla
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    poor clock management in the 4th quarter and those turnovers were the eagles downfall, TO had an outstanding game considering he had surgery a month back, and pinkston played alot better then i would had expected, it was a good game though, congrats to the pats fans out there, P.S. i hope freddy mitchell gets released next year

[/ QUOTE ]

Dittoes. smirk.gif
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking that Vic is going to get laid out by Philly's 260 lb freakishly fast middle linebacker, Jeremiah Trotter. It'll be all downhill for the Falcons after that, and Philly will win.

Pittsburg vs. New England will be a real slugfest, but I think New England will pull it out, even though they lost the first matchup. If Corey Dillon does what he did last weekend, he'll be tough to stop. I think that Brady has too much experience, and will outshine the rookie Roethlisberger.

So, Philly vs. New England in the superbowl, and New England will just have too much discipline for Philly. They won't make any mistakes, and will pull out a win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I was accurate. It's scary how fanatical I get about football, but it sure will be nice to have my Sundays back.