Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hl2 male head

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
hl2_male_head.jpg
1254 polies without the alpha hair planes

a head i made tonight. going to try for HL2.

hopefully i can eventually add some facial animation. but not sure exactly how to set up a face for it properly. any crits in that area?

lips still need work. and ive already added another segment at the top of the ear to round it out a bit more.

i am working on a body for him but am not happy enough with it to show.

Replies

• Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I am trying to find advice in this area myself, since i really want to make a model that can be used in hl2 with the facial animations and stuff.

So the only thing i can crit on, is the eye area. The eyes look too square. I also believe that if you want moveable eyes, you cant model them like that.
  • Father_Brandon
    Offline / Send Message
    Father_Brandon polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! the only CC I can give is to move some of your vertexs back slightly:

fix.jpg

Also, you may not want the eyes to be attached to the model, I haven't been modeling too too long, so anyone, feel free to correct me.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it looks like you might be going for some facial animation? if so the mouth is fantab. but you want to disconnect the eyes and round them out sommore.It would help to carve out the nostril a bit more too. Looking good Snemmy.
  • EarthQuake
    Actually surprisingly if you look at the wires for the hl2 models in the model viewer the is how they do the eyes, and make them look left/right with animated uvs(or thats what i assume they do atleast) You should smooth out the earbrow area that looks really odd.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I suspect you're going to have some problems getting thsi to morph nicely with that wire layout, particularly with so many triangles. Theres a pretty specific way you need to do your loops otherwise you'll get spiking or other horrible deformation. There are a few decent tutorials floating about, none of which I have close handy. I'm sure someone else will have a useful link.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey man. nice job! i'll see what i can come up with.

the mouth shape, like you say, is totaly wrong. the top lip ridge should be more of an m shape. the middle slit shouldn't cuve up like that. in a neutral pose, i think it might almost curve down just slightly.

it looks like the corner's of the mouth terminate to a single vertex? maybe i'm mistaken. make sure you have 3 quads running away from the corner of the mouth so that when it opens up it doesn't look like the corners of the mouth are a point. that looks terrible. it also looks like you've got too many polies in there, if you ask me. there's a few lines on the chin that you certainly don't need.

also, i think that the mesh topology could be alot simpler, but that's a difficult thing to tell you how to fix, i guess. i keep meaning to make a head tutorial.

your features looks a little plain and generic maybe. are you using reference? or just building a head from "general head proportions".. it might be a good idea to get some pictures of a guy who looks kinda like what you want to go for and use him as a lose reference.

good job so far.. keep at it.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the advice guys. here's where it stands now:

hl2male_head_02.jpg

hopefully he looks a bit less generic now. i was using James Purefoy as a reference. though my images werent all that great, i think this might be a bit closer but i wasnt going for an exact likeness anyway. wink.gif
    purefoy.jpg

and yeah the capped eyes are based on looking at the HL2 models in the SDK modle viewer. they are done with shaders, i believe, and are not physical geometry.

attached the head to the body. still want to work on it a little before showing. tongue.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I still refer to this image:
    poly_regions.jpg

That is NOT my work, just to be clear. Its just a great starting point for a face that deforms well.
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that ref image Rick! Very helpfull stuff!