Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

generic female wip

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I posted an update to my thread the day the boards went down so I'm not sure if anyone actually saw this or not. I was busy at work but I've picked up where I left off and started working on my naked lady again. Here is where I got to on the hands.

female_handsmall_02.jpg

Replies

• killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by killingpeople
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, you read my mind, thanks man! I was just trying to figure out how to get my old style of posting to work.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hand looks good. Post more of her!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz, here is the body in it's current state, still have some work to do, but I reworked the boobs as many of you suggested, I finally realized they were way too high and making the torso look too long and the legs too short.

female_bodysmall_01.jpg
  • MacD
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Hey...funny...I'm working on the exact same thing at the moment smile.gif It looks good, but the shoulderblades are off, I think; get a ref pic and angle them a bit instead of having them go straight down.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    oi oi, those are gorgeous hands, I like them alot. the palm is the part i think needs the most work. they dont seem padded enough. good work tho mate.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking really good malcolm. Personal preferene maybe, but this is the stuff that sticks out to me:

malcolm.jpg

1) That bone on the foot is a bit much
    2) That curve on the side of the breast there should be softer I think. It looks like those nasty stretch artifacts that come with boob jobs that are too big
    3) I might be wrong here, since were somewhat looking up at the model, but perhaps the armpit crease goes up a bit high?

And now I look at it again, her shoulders might be a little on the large side?

I agree with the shoulder blade comments too. Nice work!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD, poopinmymouth, Daz, thanks. Yeah still some work to do on the body. The shoulders are crap I haven't really looked into those yet. Daz what do you mean about the ankle bone are you referring to the lump in the side profile?
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good so far. But there's something not quite right about the hands.

female_hand_02_1.jpg

1) The bottom of the pinky is too low. The base should flow along the line of the rest of the fingers.
    2) The middle segment on the middle and ring fingers are too long. On the inside of the hand, the finger segments are almost equal. Make the bottom segment longer, probably on the pinky too.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, thank you all for the detailed cretique. I had to work on Saturday but I was able to spend some time working on the model this morning. I started with the blob you see on the left and went from there. There are quite a few proportional errors at the moment but it is coming along.

female_headsmall_01.jpg
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress, I think the head looks less elongated which is better.

female_headsmall_02.jpg
  • Herr-Maestro
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    The seams though, is there anyway to get rid of the seams? overall looks ok although on 1) that Daz pointed out, the foot looked like it was slightly swollen. like she might have a great night at a dance club with spike heels on and non stop dancing throughout till dawn and maybe its a optical illusion but it was just what I noticed
  • MacD
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    The seam is an artifact of (I'm guessing here, based on what I use smile.gif) working with a mirrored instance of half of the face. The only way to get rid of it is by making the instance unique and then welding all the verts...guess malcolm was just lazy for the screenies smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    macd you are correct, why weld this junk together for a work in progress I will just do it at the end.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some detailing on the face tonight, finally it is starting to look like a face instead of a crash test dummy. I think I will finish off the ear before I do any further tweaks to the head.

female_headsmall_03.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ears look like they might be set a bit too far back, though its difficult to tell from the angle that you've rendered from. Some planometric angles wouldn't go astray.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Ears! And some orthographic screenshots for those that are interested. I tweaked the face some more too.

female_headsmall_04.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looking excellent. nice work!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I was playing playstation for most of the day but I did a tutorial from the alias web site on how to make eye lashes from polygons instead of using fur, pretty nifty trick, I used the same technique for eyebrows.

female_headsmall_05.jpg
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't worked on this model in a while but I felt like doing a paint over to get a more solid idea of where I want to go with it once I start texturing it. Here is the result. Oh yeah I did do 5 min of work on it today just to get the eyebrows in the right place as my co worker pointed out they were way too high.

femaleheadpaintoversmall_02.jpg
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Now thats some crazy makeup... smile.gif

i think the eye lashes are REALLY good , i have immense troubl with alpha stuff ... and you have got it looking great ...
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice man, I have the feeling this is going to turn out really impressive. Any plans for a hair solution?

The ear might use a little something. Not sure, its just not too attractive at the mo. It looks like shes been playing rugby smile.gif The brow is what stands out to me though. 99.9% of all women ( I just made this statistic up actually smile.gif But check out some pics and you'll see what I mean ) have the brow curve out just as it gets to the eyebrow. Yours looks a bit masculine now because its just a big sweeping curve. Did a quick paint cos its hard to put into words:

malc.jpg

Ref:

female_brow.jpg
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz, thanks for the tip I will fix the brow. At the moment I am thinking about going with a bunch of layers of polies with alpah channel for the hair, basically a really high poly version of how you would do the hair for a game, like Tidus's mullet in Final Fantasy, I don't know anything about Maya fur, I tried it out once on a cube and it took quite a long time to do a test render it wouldn't be practical to tune, you seem to use it for your renders is it pretty tricky and time consuming?

Thermidor, I'm not using any alpha for the eyebrows or eyelashes, I modeled them out of polies, that's probably why you like the way they look.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Maya fur is a bit limited. Long learning curve, a lack of control and the results arent great. Its good for fur, but not so good for long hair. In Maya 6 there is specifically 'Maya hair', but Ive not played with it yet. I use the inexpensive and great plug-in 'Shave & a haircut'. The really nice part of it is the style interface where you can comb and cut your hair interactively. Render results are nice. However, usuing it as part of a hardcore render pipeline in conjunction with a render farm, weve had some problems, but apparently they're about to get ironed out in an imminent new release.

Because of those problems, I recently had to resort to the method you described to make layers of alpha. The irony is, that start raytracing all those overlapping layers of alpha, and it takes longer to render than most procedural hair systems!
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Amen, i had a load of alpha textures on my recent chucky model , and the hair took ages to render , however , i never have tryed maya hair really ...
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't worked on this model for quite some time but I have finally made an update. Polished the head and body, as well I have started on the clothes. I still need to put the hands and fingers in a relaxed state also, and the wrists look like they could be a bit thicker.

female_wipsmall_02.jpg

female_clothessmall_01.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Girl's got junk in the trunk. Booyah.

Beautiful creases on the shirt.
  • EarthQuake
    Wow, that looks really nice.