Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character P.I.M.P

johnwoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
I ain't posted for a while...so I figured what the hell...anyways...this is character I modelled, textured etc....but it is for nothing in particular just creating characters cos' I enjoy so much and just trying to improve my skillz...anyhow.. see what ya thinks...

image013ni.jpg

image026jc.jpg

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    That looks like a kickass software renderer. Sortware renders are the dogs bollox for showing off detail. Excellent modelling/texturing work. What are you rendering with? My only niggle is with the shape of the trouser bottoms. They look too 'spread out' and seem to fold at a very acute angle. Is that so they don't clip the feet?
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    looks real nice...I think the definition on the arm muscles is awsome. I like modeling just cuz too...how do you make your textures so clean. that is still something I am struggling with.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    It's looking like an HL²in-game shot smile.gif Exellent modeling/texturing ! I really love the addictionnal stuff like knife, bullets, etc.

However, the shape of bottom of the pants seems a little weird. I suppose that it is due to the shape of the shoe, but it's still strange tongue.gif
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys...

Let me explain briefly in regards to the bottom of the trousers...the sort of look and feel I wanted was for the the jeans frayed ends to be hitched up on the boots, as the boots are similar to say Caterpillars or Timberland boots but only well and truly worn and weathered...I'll tweak the mesh and see what results I come up with and post 'em..

image039vm.jpg
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    Wires plz!11! eleven

By the way it feels very stylized and I like the pose you put him in.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx: Nah...it's just in OpenGL viewport just 1 light source...but thanks..

Spider2cool: About sharpness of texture, 1 good tip is just to abuse every single pixel as much as possible when laying out your UV's I tell ya' it works wonders...

Renaud Galand : Thanks...At some point I would like to get this into HL2's Source Engine...sorta looking at how to export it and currently learning the superb Softimage XSI...well the ModTool at least...heh
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    really great work. I love the hair and asymetry in the character.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know, I kinda like the overall messy feel.

I dig.
    b1ll
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice- so filthy, yet so clean. Very balanced- no crits from me!
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    wires? or did i miss em?
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are 2 more images and the wireframe that were requested...

image048xz.jpg

image056vr.jpg

image067lj.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    interesting style. only thing I am not as keen on is the face.
    Perhaps the mouth could be moved up a little
    Nice texturing and cool overall though
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Is that you Leroy?

Looks good, nice modern day Double Dragon sort of feel to him.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ror...

Yep...It sure is me..heh...How's you matey..drop me a line...you still got my e-mail have'nt you?..if not let me know and I'll send it to you again...
  • Marko the Maker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marko the Maker polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa. Excellent work! I would probably have hitched up the pant legs a bit. Too short pants would definately suit him, if for no other reason than to show off his lovely boots.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    you did an awesome job. excellent.

it's a real shame that this isn't lit.

i'd highly suggest giving it a light job, but if you can't for what ever reason i can do it for you, if you post the files. not saying i'm a good lighter.. but i'm not bad smile.gif

i do think that the biceps are a little too large, compared to the forearm. especialy on the lower side.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    yes sir i like it.
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    I love heavily photo sourced textures. My question here is how much of it is strait texture and how much is painted/altered? I'd love to see some flats.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like photorealism also..I personally think it works a treat if done well...all the textures started out as photos as a point of reference and then altered/photoshop'd to get the result I personally wanted, but keep in mind that this is a route I wanted to explore and diversify in..in terms of striving for a more realistic feel to my characters...I feel personally it's a different direction to the stylised guide I work with on pastand present titles...this is for my own personal enjoyment...as for showing flats...I can't at the moment..I'm at work...and I am now working on a new character/creature (personal work)...that I am very excited to start on...It is looking to be very scary, creepy and gory, it will go alongside this character...I am going to totally push the boat out on this one.....stay tuned...heh...

Thanks for the comments btw Hothead...