Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

some random model I made...

Mr_Hotride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Hotride polycounter lvl 18
http://home.graffiti.net/amphlis/model1.html

as u can see, this is supposed to be sum kind of a dino like model. i whooped this one up in a day or two. actually, this is my first model.

i will be having a hard time trying 2 animate this thing in milkshape eventhough i created the legs using the cylinder parematives.

p.s. i'm very sorry for my poor spelling and grammar but i was too tired to type anything right.. lol

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    An antho dino with SLEEVES!

Don't forget his spinosaur spines
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uuh well thanks for remind me.. i won't be able to add triangle like spine this model but i will be able to make his middle of the back a bit longer.

p.s. i updated the website with more pictures. hes also supposed to be a quake 3 model though no one plays q3 anymore.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I dont remember modeling anything close to that when i was starting
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont remember modeling anything close to that when i was starting

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me either. I'd keep a close eye on this one nerd.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hes also supposed to be a quake 3 model though no one plays q3 anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...you do realize that according to a recent article on Gamespy, that Quake III is STILL more popular than UTK4.
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well forgot to say i am a fairly skilled modeler but still new to all the animation stuff.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If that's for Q3A you need to segment him.

I started out in the same way. Suffice to say no modeler would like to be as incapable as me after 5 (!) years. Better change the subject before that happens to you tongue.gif.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, since you're doing a q3a model in ms3d as your first, getting him all animated and then ingame will probably piss you off to no end. :P

I had the same experience when working on tux a good four years back frown.gif
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the warning...

i'm getting used to animating this thing. however.. i'll be aware of the this problem about exporting to md3..

p.s. is there an alternative plugin for milkshape to export to md3 instead of the default ones??
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's wrong with the default ones?
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i think the default ones i hear horror stories about the md3 file being exported without the animation or rotated incorrectly at it's axis when being exported.
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok.. i almost got the model working for the game.. i used milkshape 1.7.1 to export the final model.

i'm using the 6DX v1.1.6 MD3 animation viewer. the death animations and the torso animations seems to be in-tact.

i encounterd two problems:
    * the legs animations are out of order, when I selected the walk he seems idle, when I hit run, his legs are swimming etc.. I even entered the correct values in animation.cfg and still the same results..

* the model appears to be almost twice as bigger than the default sarge model. is there anyway to scale it down? because in milkshape, I cannot scale the whole skeleton system.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

* the model appears to be almost twice as bigger than the default sarge model. is there anyway to scale it down? because in milkshape, I cannot scale the whole skeleton system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tools > Scale All

And yes, this does scale the skeleton laugh.gif
  • Mr_Hotride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks..

anyways, i decided to dump the current model and start the bipping and animation over by scratch because simply for some reasons, the model was uv mapped pretty poorly, and quake3 rejected the model because it had more than 1000 verts on lower part of the model.

i started over on sunday night while I found a new way how to properly UV map this guy in wings 3d so hopefully I may get better results. i also made his legs a little but thicker as well.

heres the old model
    http://home.graffiti.net/amphlis/olddizzie.jpg

now my current stage is to bip this dude without the ability of seeing any strange distortions which is gonna be very difficult for me to do in milkshape.

anyways i c u l8tr.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your anims play wrong make sure you have the $frame values in the .qc include only the relevant frames.