Home Technical Talk

3ds max: can't remove this edge...

Stinky
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Stinky polycounter lvl 18
I'm working with an Editable Poly, and trying to do some simplification to the model. Specifically, I want to remove all non-necessary edges. But I can't remove an edge that forms a "donut" (I don't know the technical term for this shape).

This is an example edge:
http://gamedev.bytestacker.com/temp/non-removable-edge.gif

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It might be because it is an "open edge" - an edge with a polygon only on one "side" of it. Check that the vertices it's attached to are welded together and there are no seams.
    An easy way to check would be to slap a Meshsmooth modifier on it, and see what happens to the geometry around that edge - if the shading goes wacky, then there's something not welded.
    If it's all connected properly and fine, then I don't know what the problem could be.
    Why are you trying to remove these edges anyway? Is it going into a game, or what?
  • Stinky
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinky polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks to be welded and happy. Very weird...
  • Eric Chadwick
    3ds max requires that edge to keep the hole in the middle, when working with Poly modifiers.

But all the edges you removed are still there, they're just hidden. All you do when you Remove them is hide them (although hidden edges do help control certain modeling operations).

In case you didn't know already... Open up Object Properties and turn off Edges Only to see them again. Or use Edit Triangulation.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It's not a problem with your mesh, it's just the way Editable Poly works. When using EP, there are certain rules it follow that make it impossible to do things like weld vertices on three planes that share and edge, and deleting an edge in a "donut" like you're showing. It just needs it to be there for whatever reason. To demonstrate, convert your model to an Editable Mesh and make that edge invisilbe, then convert it back to an Editable Poly and you'll see that edge, or one of the others, appear again.

I think it has to do with something like the polys need to be "closed". Imagine this model were made of paper, with that edge there you could take it apart and "unfold" it, without the edge it's not a real shape. I don't know if that make any sense. smile.gif

Edit: Eric beat me to it. smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just hit delete to physically delete that edge then re-create the faces. Or hit backspace to remove the edge (not delete).
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just hit delete to physically delete that edge then re-create the faces. Or hit backspace to remove the edge (not delete).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you didn't read the replies. smile.gif With an Editable Poly object, you can't remove that particular edge. It's an EP thing.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I shoulda realised that too, but I didn't look at the picture long enough smile.gif
  • melkior
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think this is just an EP thing. That mesh needs a line to have that area exist. If it was just a square on top without the hole then you wouldnt need an edge.

You can hide the edge in some modes but even in Edit Mesh mode - the line will exist wether hidden or not.

You could turn the edge also - but whether it points at corner 1 or corner 2 its still there. And in fact I'm sure theres another edge thats hidden too on the otherside.

So i mostly agree with the others -only posting to point out that switching out of EP mode isnt going to allow you to get rid of that edge in any factual way - just maybe visually.

Once you UVW/skin/render it - this will be pointless anyways - it will not be visible so whats the difference? smile.gif
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    its normal, all polygons 3d app will do the samething.