Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rogue Agent in game heads

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
I was grabbing these for my website tonight. It's some of the stuff I got dragged down to EA LA to help out for in the summer. Not all of these made it in for one reason or another. Note that Bond is meant to be generic. No Brosnan license.

1200 tris each with a 256 .tga. No alpha was a problem. So was time. Most of these were about a day each, hence the style is a bit of a mishmash:

strip1.jpg

Replies

• TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty impressive for the limits placed on them. How come no alphas? Two of them look familiar the set right above the ones at the bottom, the asian guy and the guy with the double chin. Pretty sweet. Not sure I'll get around to playing that game though. Everything or Nothing was a lot of fun to play thru though.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    I like =) the top right chick looks like the actress in XMEN and Nip/Tuck
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work daz. I still say that second chick looks like you. 8-)
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    So these are all for the new James Bond game?

There really good, exept the women don't have as much face detail as the guys do. Maybe they just put on a bunch
    of make-up for the new bond game wink.gif. Working without alpha
    maps has got to suck, gotta give you props for that. Well anyway, good job.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Voodoo, hah cool yeah. That's Famke Jansen. She played Xenia Onnatop in the Bond movie Goldeneye. They're all in fact meant to be actors from various Bond movies, apart from Bond himself and the blond chick that doesn't look like me.

Yeah i prefer to give women a cleaner look, its just a style choice. The game engine character renderer didn't support alpha.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yup, there's oddjob, goldfinger, dr. no...

impressive work, easy to tell who they're supposed to be.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "no mr.bond, I expect you to DIE!"

anybody else watching the marathon? good stuff first time I've seen most of these movies and now I give my bid for the best Bond to Connery =)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Day each eh? Damn...it looks like one of them would take me 5 days, and it would only look a quarter as good.

I've always wondered, since you work on heads of real people for games, are you given pictures of their heads at various angles, or are you just told "Make a head of this actor, just google it and find pictures"?

Heh, Voodoo, I watched a bond Marathon last year during thanksgiving.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    These are great man, another job well done on another bond game! The ernst is my favorite, great work on the scar and everything.

The only thing that sort of bothers me is the ears, the coloring doesnt really blend on some of them, but then again that could be lighting or something there.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah I saw that one dude with the double chin in an ad in Electronic gaming Monthly. That must be an ego boost! you rock daz! These are awsome, can you show wireframes? or is that a no-no?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I didnt do too much on this game actually. Only a few weeks at the end they asked me to go down there and help out. The game itself is a fun enough FPS, and the multiplayer is good, but it isn't really my cup of tea and not related to Everything Or Nothing. We did Everything Or Nothing at EA HQ. This game ( http://www.eagames.com/official/goldeneye/rogue/us/home.jsp ) is EA LA.

Sorry Josh no wires no! Neo_God: It always seems to be a matter of 'we need this head, in no time at all, and we dont have any reference, kthnx' :]

So I start from a DVD like so:

no1.jpg

and the rest you can find on the tut I posted elsewhere on this page.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    who is that second chick?
    bond does look rather brosnan-ish...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    If you ask Poop, she's me, but actually she's based very loosely on Jessica Biel.

I dunno, I dont see too much Brosnan in there, and I have looked at that mans face an awful lot. But I guess on the grounds that its a handsome white bloke with eighties black hair then yeah it does look like him ;-p
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see the biel resemblence. I wonder how she'll be in Blade Trinity...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great great stuff Daz, a bit of a mashup like you said but some of the proudest work can come under pressure smile.gif the deliberately vague bond is great, because it does exactly what it needs to (looks like brosnan on first glance, but overall looks like a dalton/brosnan/generic clone hybrid). good stuff. especially nice likeness of famke.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Pierce_Brosnan.jpg
    Theres a fair resembalance, I'd say...

Thats some damn nice work Daz, particularly given the lack of time.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh well, as someone that does likenesses almost every day, whats funny about this to me JB, is that people ( and when it comes to a franchise, thats many ) get *INCREDIBLY* fussy about this stuff, and I can assure you that If I presented the model above as being Brosnan , it would be NO FLY.

I think to the casual observer it might look a bit like him ( and thats probably some of the point ). After all, it's a square jawed white bloke with eighties hair, but to me it really doesn't look like him.
    That definitely suggests a failing on my part for being too close to it. I should be thinking how the audience is. However, MGM approved this as being a 'non Pierce Bond'.

The most obvious 'nod' to Pierce in the face, is the fatty upper lids: there is no obvious upper eyelid crease. That said, the gauntness of the face in the generic Bond is I think quite different from the somewhat puffy faced Pierce. When youve looked at Pierces face as much as I have, that model really doesn't look like him. Here's a much older high res model of mine of Pierce. That, ( I like to think ) looks like Pierce:

PB.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    But the blonde chick DOES look like you.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Those are great Daz. Texturing is great.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work, especially for such a short timeframe.
    Famke's face texture (maybe it's the vertex lighting doing it) looks a bit splotchy in places, not as smooth as it could have been, but still nice.
    All the characters are very recognisable, which is good. I agree the Bond guy looks more like Brosnan than any other Bond actor, but not so much like him that people go "hey, that's Pierce!". Although I think people not "in the know" will look at it and say "hmm they didn't do a very good job making the character look like Brosnan!" if you know what i mean smile.gif
    by the way Daz, I will be in the San Francisco area from January 6th - 12th wink.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    DaZ, very great stuff. Great colors, very good shapes, incredible character. Im not a James Bond fanboy, i maybe just saw 30 % of the movies, but i can tell that those characters are looking exactly like there alter egos.

Really yummi, and i hate EA from my deepest heart, that your not allowed to show us the flats laugh.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the only character i couldnt place is the bottom left, the two women are natalya and xenya (using screen names) oddjob looks cool laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bottom left is Scaramanga, from The Man with the Golden Gun, I believe!
    Blofeld's irises are a bit too saturated with colour I think, makes him look weird(er), although you have the "mad stare" captured perfectly smile.gif
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome head work there.
    The bond head reminds me alot of how the Agent Under Fire Bond was made out to be.

As for Scaramanga, were you not able to use Christopher Lee's likeness? All of the others look spot on.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    not much to say Daz, awesome smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    There is one really bad thing about your work, Daz...

That there is nothing to criticize frown.gif

Really amazing work, given the time and tech limitations.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i gota agree , like souls work , pure class
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What is up with everyone comparing mine and SouLs work all the time?! smile.gif Anyone would think that we were related or something. Sadly KMan thats meant to be Christopher Lee. Its pretty weak looking back at it.
    Paul: thats pretty ironic, and a bummer, cos I'll be in Scotland!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Daz those are fantastic.
    I think the Generi-Bond looks fine, and not terribly Brosnan. Its overwhelmingly obvious to me that it was an attempt to look enough like him and the other actors to be "Bond" but different enough from Brosnan to avoid a likeness debate.

That said, I find the only letdown is the Famke Jannsen model. The other heads have minor nit-picks but are still great. The Famke doesnt look terribly much like her to my eye.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    daz this is absolutely wonderful work, period
    give urself a break will ya wink.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great work Daz. I'd love to see you make a similar style choice for your women, as you do for your men though.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    OI! daz, this is really great work. awesome stuff man. i love Blofeld and Goldfinger.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    this stuff is great! I personally think that the bond looks more roger mooreish, the eyes, the 'fairer' skin, and not quite black hair.... anyway, awesome work!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! nice likenesses.

Dr. No, Onatopp (Famke Jansen),The chick from Golden Eye, THe Donald Pleasance Blofeld from You only Live Twice, Oddjob, Auric Goldfinger, Scaramanga (Christopher Lee) , AndGeneric guy.. Too bad you couldn't have modeled a more Sean Connery like guy, but this is excellent work.

Scott
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    heh nice.

Now when you say "a day each" do you mean 8 hours of work, 8 hours working with a lunch break, coffee break, stretch break, IM break, etc, or one of those 20hr long crunch days?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    ahah good call Vailias. I probably mean something in between the two yes :]
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Daz, pretty cool man, I'll save that to my inspiration folder. The russian chick in the top right is really nice. Is the game any good? I saw it in the company store on Friday I think I will pick it up, but I doubt I'll be able to get to playing it any time soon as there is a long list of games already ahead of it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    no input other than these are fantastic. beautiful work daz.
  • TheWaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWaq polycounter lvl 18
    ...looks pretty gr8 daz...
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    very cool, you are the likeness master!
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    DaZ, once again I open up one of your pimping threads knowing that it's going to turn into reference for me. I don't think it's worth critiquing these if I can't suggest improvements. But I did get all the actor/character references, excellent likenesses. I do think the de-Brosnan-ed Bond looks quite good, and very Bond-like in general character.

So, in the reply up there with the Donald Pleasance pics, you mention a tutorial? Posted elsewhere on this page? Where? Where? THANKS!

/jzero
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    very nice Daz. I like 'Donald Pleasance' the best. Goldfinger is really cool too.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    *changing my pants now*
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
  • LeJomphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeJomphe polycounter lvl 18
    Just when I start thinking I'm in the same county as the ballpark, I open a thread like this one and realise just how much farther I've got to go smile.gif

Great work, gives something to aspire to.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Each texture has a great cold look to it, first time I've seen your skin work.
    Top notch.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks chaps. I grabbed these tonight as part of a major website overhaul too. Funny, they're from an earlier game but I much prefer them. Same specs ( 1200 tris, 256 targa but with alpha this time ), and only one of these is not an actor likeness:

strip2.jpg

*EDIT* I believe SouL did some bits here If I remember correctly SouL? The hat, a couple of bodies that ive cropped sorry heh. Maybe some work on Y's face?
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    omg judy dench is hawt! excellent stuff man.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I just about blew pepsi out my noes. wink.gif

Thats some of the best work ive seen in a long time. Great work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff again, but for some reason I prefer the newer ones (the original topic pics) - IMHO the likenesses are more consistent in those.

The John Cleese one here, I don't think the area around his eyes is dark enough, or has enough wrinkles, and his face looks slightly the wrong shape in the front view. Looks fine in the side view, though.

Judi Dench is a good likeness but there's SOMETHING in it about her that isn't quite "her" ... can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it's just the expression (she's looking quite vacant there, while usually she looks inquisitive and suspicious with slightly more beady eyes)

Willem Dafoe is a good likeness, though he looks a little stoned smile.gif

Jaws is EXCELLENT, I love that one... great likeness. though the hair in the side view seems to lack volume at the front, it might be accurate to the guy but it looks a little weird.

The man with the beard has GREY SKIN!!! blush.gif But nicely done smile.gif

The pretty lassies are nice smile.gif

Great work as usual. Your consistent high standards are an example to us all!

-Paul