• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually Mishra no you didnt fix. You left an 'l' in there smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well i fixed it enough.

we won against their country twice, therefore we should be able to change their spelling on a few dozen words.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    heh, Im not entirely sure which victorys you are referring to, but I am 'one of them' smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    heh, Im not entirely sure which victorys you are referring to, but I am 'one of them' smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

american revolution and war of 1812
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    So, in the American revolution you beat the British huh?

edit, btw, that was worded badly, Im not questioning the historical facts, just amused by your seemingly deadpan seriousness behind your sentiment.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So, in the American revolution you beat the British huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

well we and the french did

and yes, i tend to be deadpan when making jokes, it's my style. it tends to add a little bit of funny.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, well It's the French you need to blame for the presence of the extra bloody 'u's in the English language in the first place.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Stick to your guns, Daz! 1812 was no worse than a draw for you lot; the Treaty of Ghent didn't change anything *and* you got to set fire to the White House. Not too shabby, I say... tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, I'll be staying out of another cross nation debate about the past for a bit methinks smile.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    actually america DIDN'T win the american revolution. a buncha british traitors won the american revolution. because, they weren't america at that point. half the country was still french, spanish or fulla injuns at that point.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    actually america DIDN'T win the american revolution. a buncha british traitors won the american revolution. because, they weren't america at that point. half the country was still french, spanish or fulla injuns at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was called america, they were called americans. there was no united states of america, and it wasnt a seperate country, but those inside the country called themselves americans even though they were british citizens.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Something that also irks me is the lazy lack of apostrophes.

"im sure he cant say that i didnt know the cats name"

"im" is not a word. "I'm" is the correct form, with the apostrophe denoting the merging and loss of the "a" from "am".

It's not difficult to hit the ' key every now and then when typing, and it makes you seem so much more intelligent and composed.

Blah.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the spelling on internet forums doesnt need to be all proper and shit, it's supposed to be a casual atmosphere. if you can get your point across, you have typed well enough.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's the equivalent of mumbling just coherently enough to be understood in casual conversation.
    Yes, people can hear and understand you, but it's not doing you any favours.
    I always think everyone should try to make the best impression on others, and to do that they should be polite and coherent, otherwise people might think they're either fairly stupid, or an asshole.

If I recieved 2 similar critiques on a model or texture, where one was well-worded and properly spelled, and the other was lazily thought out and messy, I personally would have a higher opinion of the person who took the extra time and care to go that little bit further.

Of course, all the correct spelling and grammar in the world won't help you if you're talking bollocks and being a twat! smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the spelling on internet forums doesnt need to be all proper and shit, it's supposed to be a casual atmosphere. if you can get your point across, you have typed well enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all writing needs to be proper (and shit!), as I don't believe in half-assing things. If a prolific writer opts to omit every comma and apostrophe he'd correctly type in a day, what is that saving him? Two seconds? Three, maybe? Casual needs more than three seconds out of your day to qualify.

No, I don't expect anyone to write differently because I ask them to. There will always be the belligerent juveniles who will "tell u 2 go 2 hell", the typical pointless rebellion of the internet and all, so I don't rail against that. But I recognize that I never know who will read what I've written and I really don't want to come across as someone who is sloppy, inattentive or grammatically impaired, so I put the same effort into writing as I do anything else I put my hand to. If I create it, I want it to be my best effort. A lot of people don't feel that way.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I recieved 2 similar critiques on a model or texture, where one was well-worded and properly spelled, and the other was lazily thought out and messy, I personally would have a higher opinion of the person who took the extra time and care to go that little bit further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, MoP. And the other end of that is that if I'm giving a crit, I want the artist (or whomever) to give my opinion consideration. By taking the effort to communicate well, I lend credibility to my words - my opinion may be horseshit, but I've taken the time to compose my thoughts and present them well, and that will at least get my words through the door. A hastily scribbled crit that isn't proofread even once may be dismissed out of hand. Without swelling my head too much, I'll say that I think my posts are generally respected here even by those who don't agree with me, and I think that a part of that respect is because I take the time to communicate with everyone to the best of my ability.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Usually, the only time I misspell or use improper grammar is when I do it intentionally to be ironic or poke fun at someone. For instance: OMG LOL U R TEH FUNNEH KEKEKE ^_^

Oh yeah, and I do it in all caps in order to be as obnoxious as possible laugh.gif.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Bad spelling (the definitely intentional kind) and rudeness are enough to warrant a "-1, troll" mod in my eyes. You took the time to think it up, pease take the time to type it out in a way that I don't have to read thrice to understand it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, pease do! laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    i find it funny that some cases where people correct or insult other peoples grammar or spelling, they mispell there words wrong or mispell grammar wrong in there post, for example "learn how to use good grammer, n00b"

for me i try to have good spelling, but iam to lazy to capitalize my words, and type in all lowercase instead
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'll find that's 'too' lazy.

;-p

Ah this thread could go on forever. Let's see If I've spelt something wrong.....