Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Diary - Zbrush Sculpting for Characters and Creatures.

Replies

• RaphaelFabris
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelFabris polycounter lvl 4
    Damn that's serious improvement ! Especially on the eyes, incredible how more expressive it is now !
    You're doing some sick work ! (And I'm always a bit late to mention it :sweat_smile: , it's crazy how time flies by)

What's sure about you is that you clearly understood how to learn, well at least a learning way that works incredibly well for you. I'm stunned by how quick and how well you improve. I definitely need to stop spreading my self-teaching all over the place to have some similar results I guess :scream: .

So you got trapped into WoW and yet managed to keep learning, that's some achievement :p

The mine cart is also very impressive, you have improved your style, and you don't seem to want to stop improving ^^. At least it brings good jealousy from my side, it's truly inspiring to improve myself.

You did mention something that resonated with me though. "Anxiety control", and I couldn't help myself but automatically read "artistic anxiety control", like it's really a thing happening to me right now where I had to figure a lot of things in my life and lost a lot of time not doing 3D. And now I'm scared to even start doing something in 3D, everything seems so hard to do ! So I guess we all fall into that pit once in a while, but considering you can control your anxiety by sculpting a human skull while I do by modeling a mug ... I suppose I fell into a pit a little bit deeper than yours 😁.

Anyway, it's always cool to see you post here :)
    Thank you for the compliments! Means a lot.

I do question my progress and results quite often, what you mentioned, about being scared of starting a new project after a long hiatus is very real to me, that almost made gave up actually, but with small steps I managed to get over and go through it, so please please do not give up, it doesn't matter it its a mug or kratos itself, what really matters is the action you took of persisting through this fear, maybe what can help also is to follow a course of someone or a topic that you like, that helped me a lot to get the basics again.  
  • RaphaelFabris
    Offline / Send Message
    I stopped posting here again, i actually went almost 2 months without creating nothing, Im not sure if it's because of the change on my goals, which are to go more throught the character/creature art field. 

But here I am again, I want to share with guys some work.

This head I did after doing the face features, I wonder if you guys can say who I used as reference.

After this I start a whole body study, it was REALLY hard, the blocking stage was a nightmare, I can't stress enough how frustrating it was, but after the blocking it went smoother, I want to get back to this guy and actually finish him whole, but this is what I get so far:

Everything i blocked out I just hid because they're pretty much blobs.

Anyways, that's where stopped for a while doing anything, and to get back to it I decided to give a break on lessons and studies and actually create something using a concept, so I chose a concept from the amazing artist Yu Nguyen on artstation and started working, I gotta say I'm having a lot o fun creating this guy.

It's still in the blockout stage and I have some concerns on how I will solve some problems like getting him into a pose and deal with the clothes and its folds, have no idea how I will actually do that actually, because sculpting the folds in a A pose doesnt make much sense, those folds should change when the character sits on the frog saddle for example, so I would love some tips on how to approach that.

That's it for now, I will keep you guys updated on this character in the future, stay safe out there whoever is reading this.
  • Dabou Master
    Offline / Send Message
    Dabou Master polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for the kind words ! I'm (kind of) "back on track", even though I always manage to make the most boring project that the world has ever seen :lol:
    By the way, how can you question your progression when it's THAT easy to see ? I mean, I can't seem to find where I made progress, but in your case it's so out there that I can't understand how you can not see it ^^.

Can't recognize the guy you took for reference, he seems familiar, but it's often the details that makes it easy for the eye. At least my brain definitely works better with particular details of a person's face rather than a general shape (to recognize someone I mean).

I think the blocking phase is what reveals the mastery in every piece. When you're really good at something, the blocking is merely a formality, but when you're learning, it's the worst part. Creating details is the easiest part for everyone, that's why the beginner often goes to detail way too fast (which is nearly always my problem :lol: ).
    The anatomy seems pretty fine to me (this guy has a damn wide torso), only the point of view that is a bit disturbing as he seems to have a very arched back and his oblique makes it look like he has a big belly from behind, but I think it's just because of where the camera is.

Can't help you with the clothes, I have to figure it out yet myself.
    But at least I think like you, of course you have to pose the model before applying any fold as it's supposed to react to the pose of the character. Using a bit of simulation to have the main folds might be of help though, and then do the final touch in sculpt. There's really nothing there that you can't achieve quite easily with you skillset :)

Keep up the good work man !
  • RaphaelFabris
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the blocking stage is almost done. Don't want to overwhelm myself with a lot of minor props.
  • RaphaelFabris
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates, progress is slower than what I wanted it to be, frustration and doubts pave the way but yet here we are, no time to give up now.
  • RaphaelFabris
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out it was time to give up.. I feel like that was a way too big of a project to come back to stylized char/creature creation, so I'm going to put that on pause for a bit and get to study with small projects, for example now I'm doing a female bust sculpt to practice stylized anatomy/appealing, I might advance this one to retopo to practice texturing, not sure yet tho.