Home Career & Education

Portfolio Feedback

Hi I'm a recent graduate and am applying for 3D artist positions. I haven't gotten any returns or interviews on my applications. I am currently working on adding realistic assets to my Portfolio but haven't added any so far. I would like to know what I can improve on to make companies want to hire me. 

Portfolio: https://crayz4pnutz.artstation.com/

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you probably want to get a little more specific with what sort of work you are going for

you have both realistic and stylized props, but the realistic ones probably wont hold up against current professional work and the stylized ones feel a little bit lacking. I only took quick glance but are the models made from concepts? I think for most jobs, matching a concept will be important. Also if you work from a professional concept it's generally going to look more appealing than amateur created concepts. 

I think the overall presentation is good, some things like the cracked can, maybe we don't need to see it from so many angles that we have to scroll the page to find texture breakdown. 

It will help a lot if you can identify some potential studios you'd like to work at, find their most recent games and try to match that in quality and style. May also find people who work at those places (linkedIn is a good place to search) and find their portfolios and side by side compare that with yours. 
    If you can make comparisons like that then it is easy for somebody to help you point out the differences. It's more difficult to just make generalized critiques on a portfolio because it is difficult to decide where to start and without a comparison, its hard to say anything that isn't very subjective.
    You can send them (people working at your targeted studioes) your portfolio and questions too. Most will ignore, but some will respond and then when you send them an update of your portfolio 3 months later and thank them for helping you improvement, you are a person with a story that can be empathized with. Basically try to create opportunities for the nice people who like to help, help you.
  • crayz4pnutz
    Thank you for your feedback, Alex! The observatory and turret were made from concepts. I'm leaning towards being a prop or enviornment artist but I haven't fully decided which one so I'll decide and do more work towards that specific category. I would want to work for Epic Games on Fortnite or Riot's Valorant. Working for COD is also something I would want to do which is why I'm trying to make more realistic props. I have to update my Portfolio with more recent pieces since I have more experience and understand how to use the software better. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "I have to update my Portfolio with more recent pieces since I have more experience and understand how to use the software better."

I'd suggest starting a wip here for feedback plus mine through PCs wiki for relevant info alongside searching akin user generated threads as well.

Once polished to the level required, then implement a clean update of your best peer reviewed work with breakdowns - three or four quality pieces should be enough.
  • crayz4pnutz
    This is a new piece I just finished and added to my Portfolio. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WBAGmv
  • buzzkill
    Offline / Send Message
    buzzkill polycounter lvl 9
    I would suggest deleting the old pieces, for example that table with the book. When it comes to a portfolio more is often not better. People have gotten hired off a single artwork in their portfolio. Recruiters' time spent looking at your stuff is measured in seconds, you don't want them wasting it on inferior art + seeing worse quality pieces dilutes the potential good impression.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Echo the above comment. Unfairly or not, we often judge an artist more strongly on their weakest pieces. Since we’re trying to assess the fitness of a candidate, and looking for weaknesses is often a more reliable barometer than the best they can do.

We have gathered some really insightful info here, from experienced artists and hiring managers, worth a look http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#How_to_Get_In
  • zetheros
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    so the first piece that catches my attention is the medieval house one. Idk why, I guess the thumbnail appeals to me. I click on it, and I see inverted normals on the well. Then I look closer and see very low res, shiny wood textures. If I were hiring, I wouldn't look at any other pieces, I'd just move onto the next application. You'll need to at least be familiar with fundamentals to get a job, especially in this market
  • crayz4pnutz
    zetheros said:
    so the first piece that catches my attention is the medieval house one. Idk why, I guess the thumbnail appeals to me. I click on it, and I see inverted normals on the well. Then I look closer and see very low res, shiny wood textures. If I were hiring, I wouldn't look at any other pieces, I'd just move onto the next application. You'll need to at least be familiar with fundamentals to get a job, especially in this market
    I removed that piece from my Portfolio a while ago. I still have it on my website but it's not on my Portfolio that I send to job applications. The link I put above should take you straight to my Portfolio but this is what I have now: https://crayz4pnutz.artstation.com/albums/7953567

Also are you suggesting that I only put good pieces on my website in general, instead of removing old ones from my Portfolio but keeping them on my website?  
  • zetheros
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    I guess it depends on which link you use to apply for a job, but I don't really see a difference between the artstation personal website format and the artstation community portfolio format. Either way, you'll want your best work on both lol