Home Career & Education

Portfolio Feedback

Hi I'm a recent graduate and am applying for 3D artist positions. I haven't gotten any returns or interviews on my applications. I am currently working on adding realistic assets to my Portfolio but haven't added any so far. I would like to know what I can improve on to make companies want to hire me. 

Portfolio: https://crayz4pnutz.artstation.com/

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you probably want to get a little more specific with what sort of work you are going for

you have both realistic and stylized props, but the realistic ones probably wont hold up against current professional work and the stylized ones feel a little bit lacking. I only took quick glance but are the models made from concepts? I think for most jobs, matching a concept will be important. Also if you work from a professional concept it's generally going to look more appealing than amateur created concepts. 

I think the overall presentation is good, some things like the cracked can, maybe we don't need to see it from so many angles that we have to scroll the page to find texture breakdown. 

It will help a lot if you can identify some potential studios you'd like to work at, find their most recent games and try to match that in quality and style. May also find people who work at those places (linkedIn is a good place to search) and find their portfolios and side by side compare that with yours. 
    If you can make comparisons like that then it is easy for somebody to help you point out the differences. It's more difficult to just make generalized critiques on a portfolio because it is difficult to decide where to start and without a comparison, its hard to say anything that isn't very subjective.
    You can send them (people working at your targeted studioes) your portfolio and questions too. Most will ignore, but some will respond and then when you send them an update of your portfolio 3 months later and thank them for helping you improvement, you are a person with a story that can be empathized with. Basically try to create opportunities for the nice people who like to help, help you.
  • crayz4pnutz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback, Alex! The observatory and turret were made from concepts. I'm leaning towards being a prop or enviornment artist but I haven't fully decided which one so I'll decide and do more work towards that specific category. I would want to work for Epic Games on Fortnite or Riot's Valorant. Working for COD is also something I would want to do which is why I'm trying to make more realistic props. I have to update my Portfolio with more recent pieces since I have more experience and understand how to use the software better. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "I have to update my Portfolio with more recent pieces since I have more experience and understand how to use the software better."

I'd suggest starting a wip here for feedback plus mine through PCs wiki for relevant info alongside searching akin user generated threads as well.

Once polished to the level required, then implement a clean update of your best peer reviewed work with breakdowns - three or four quality pieces should be enough.
  • crayz4pnutz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a new piece I just finished and added to my Portfolio. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WBAGmv