Home Technical Talk

Weird normal maps outside Substance Painter & Bake glitch

I have a two problems with normal maps on my model.

1st: outside Substance Painter there are seams visible.

Inside Substance Painter:

Outside SP (UE5/Blender/Marmoset) (please don't mind different albedo colors):

It's the same in marmoset and Blender...

What i've tried:
- Flipping green channel, flipping red channel and both
- Turning ON/OFF "Compute tangent space per fragment" in Substance Painter and baking, exporting again

2nd problem: I have this very weird artifacts after baking HP to LP in Substance Painter. I don't see a problem in my HP/LP meshes. 

While baking it looks pretty nice:

If you have an idea what could be the problem, please help.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Can you share files (lowpoly and highpoly) of an element showing the issue? If the zipped archive is small, you can attach it directly to a post, else host externally.

Some renders showing broken shading in other applications reminds me of wrong normal map handedness, although you write you checked the green channel. Another common source of shading errors is the normal map being incorrectly sampled as sRgb texture, applying gamma correction.
  • dosiaczek666
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Can you share files (lowpoly and highpoly) of an element showing the issue? If the zipped archive is small, you can attach it directly to a post, else host externally.

Some renders showing broken shading in other applications reminds me of wrong normal map handedness, although you write you checked the green channel. Another common source of shading errors is the normal map being incorrectly sampled as sRgb texture, applying gamma correction.

Thank you for your reply. I also checked if the texture isn't sampled as sRGB. I uploaded a ZIP file with Shoe elements (LP and HP), which shows both of my issues (seams and some weird baking glitch).
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, simply throwing the meshes into Painter and baking an normal map (OpenGl), then rendering the mesh with that normal map applied in Toolbag, I couldn't reproduce the shading issue you showing in your post. Here is the result I get in Toolbag (hid the left boot for better visibility of the seam): 

Attached you find the baked normal map used in that render, if you want to check it on your end.

Did you try baking just this one element you attached to see if it gives you the same issues?

Is what you show in issue 2 a tangent space normal map? If so, the colors don't look quite right to me. Are there some adjustments done to the normal map in Painter?
  • dosiaczek666
    Wow I see your Normal Map looks quite different than mine.

Yours:

And mine:

With your normal map (with inverted Green channel because UE supports DirectX format) the result seems is correct (no seams and glitches visible):

I guess I'll try rebaking it again. Did you make any changes in project settings in Substance Painter?

If you could make a screenshot of your baking settings, I'd be gratefull. 
    Anyway, thank you for clarifying that the problem seems to be only in the normal map. :)
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, although I didn't change anything, so I assume my Painter settings are vanilla (did change texture resolution after):

I would check if you can reproduce the issue with a new file, to exclude the possibility it's related to the layers (like some layer contributing to normal that shouldn't).
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    baking with a cage?  the weird artefacts look  like something wonky with projection