Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d action game development

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Working on design for a minotaur character. This is also part of ongoing general art design work. I want to try and get character iteration time down by like 50% so I need to look at some ways to get away from realism. The struggle is is that realism is pretty much the only style I ever enjoyed.
    The minotaur will be a boss character. I want for him to feel strong, fast, intimidating, and smart. 

Here are some silhouette concepts I've made and my thoughts on them: 
    A - kind of like a water buffalo style. Not really into it, feels dopey
    B - pin head look. If minotaur was meant to be a dumbass this would be a good fit
    C - simplest shapes and long horns. I think this is top two. 
    D - it's meh...
    E - not as good as C
    F - bad shapes
    G - pretty good, top two. I think down ears doesn't work as good as up ears like C
    H - thinner body, thicker head. kind of interesting style, reminds me of Aku from samurai jack for some reason. 

I will probably work on the entire first batch of characters like this before getting back into 3d since I want to be sure that I have a consistent style. I will do front and side profiles, and once I settle on a consistent style then I will see if I can make a 3d version that just uses basic block modeling techniques + hand painted textures. 
    I dont want to look as blocky as Synty assets, as an example, but I want to ensure I have that easy workflow and also have strong, distinctive silhouettes. 

if anybody has some thoughts about silhouettes here please do share.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:
    Working on design for a minotaur character. This is also part of ongoing general art design work. I want to try and get character iteration time down by like 50% so I need to look at some ways to get away from realism. The struggle is is that realism is pretty much the only style I ever enjoyed.
    The minotaur will be a boss character. I want for him to feel strong, fast, intimidating, and smart. 

Here are some silhouette concepts I've made and my thoughts on them: 
    A - kind of like a water buffalo style. Not really into it, feels dopey
    B - pin head look. If minotaur was meant to be a dumbass this would be a good fit
    C - simplest shapes and long horns. I think this is top two. 
    D - it's meh...
    E - not as good as C
    F - bad shapes
    G - pretty good, top two. I think down ears doesn't work as good as up ears like C
    H - thinner body, thicker head. kind of interesting style, reminds me of Aku from samurai jack for some reason. 

I will probably work on the entire first batch of characters like this before getting back into 3d since I want to be sure that I have a consistent style. I will do front and side profiles, and once I settle on a consistent style then I will see if I can make a 3d version that just uses basic block modeling techniques + hand painted textures. 
    I dont want to look as blocky as Synty assets, as an example, but I want to ensure I have that easy workflow and also have strong, distinctive silhouettes. 

if anybody has some thoughts about silhouettes here please do share.
    Here's a few unconventional minotaurs that I liked,

Kai from kung fu panda

Motaro minotaur version from Mortal Kombat

A miniature from warhammer

Berserk Anime - eh, similar to above, though I don't know if I should say the characters name since its major spoilers.
    I recommend watching the whole anime it might influence the direction of your game.

How much larger is the minotaur going to be compared to the player, since I think this will influence the direction of the silhouette.
    Like the pin head look is what gives the colossal titan from Attack on titan its collassalness 

https://attackontitan.fandom.com/wiki/Colossal_Titan_(Anime)

From your silhouettes
    A - looks like a gundam proportion wise (robo look)
    B - Might look more imposing if he was massive
    C - I like the simple shapes, looks intimidating, (robo look)
    D - I like the shorter legs, the torso looks fuller
    E - Feels a bit stocky
    F - Looks balanced
    G - very Berserk Anime (caution serious spoilers if you google the character)
    H - Does look more stylized 

Also for your bow mechanics check this out,
    https://www.sca.org/resources/martial-activities/combat-archery/
    https://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/files/file/514-duke-patricks-combat-archery/&

And the game mount and blade is your friend 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @NikhilR

height will be like 2.5 ish meters but I may push it more. have to get model in game and see. I just start from "real" size and then exaggerate if it doesn't feel intimidating enough in the game. I always disliked in games when enemies are so enormous but the fact is, I want players to fear him so if making him 10 stories high is necessary I will consider it.

For the style I mostly want to stick to historical examples, just making minor modifications to the shape and colors to put my own flavor on things. Thanks for your initial impressions on these, it helps a lot to see what others think. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:
    thanks @NikhilR

height will be like 2.5 ish meters but I may push it more. have to get model in game and see. I just start from "real" size and then exaggerate if it doesn't feel intimidating enough in the game. I always disliked in games when enemies are so enormous but the fact is, I want players to fear him so if making him 10 stories high is necessary I will consider it.

For the style I mostly want to stick to historical examples, just making minor modifications to the shape and colors to put my own flavor on things. Thanks for your initial impressions on these, it helps a lot to see what others think. 
    I think it also comes down to how the player will defeat him, since bow is the main weapon maybe evasion while pumping with arrows followed by a finisher with a blade. 
    the little legs, chunky torso and head are good for charging attacks and solid punches, but a stocky pyramid like appearance might be good for stomping and kicking
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that is something to think about that i hadn't got to yet. His silhouette should work well during his common locomotion and attack animations, and also communicate how he will move/attack. I hadn't got that deep in the character, more just thinking about art style in general, but I should probably back up and maybe do this design exercise with a character whose moveset is already known. Since the main thing I try to do right now is simplify the models in general.
    big thanks @NikhilR
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:
    yeah that is something to think about that i hadn't got to yet. His silhouette should work well during his common locomotion and attack animations, and also communicate how he will move/attack. I hadn't got that deep in the character, more just thinking about art style in general, but I should probably back up and maybe do this design exercise with a character whose moveset is already known. Since the main thing I try to do right now is simplify the models in general.
    big thanks @NikhilR
    Happy to help! I also want to get more into character design and this talk really helped out in how to go about ideation,
    https://youtu.be/UthCuDB1IEQ
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay finished an experiment to go for more stylization with the characters. I built a new model for the main hero character. This time I only did basic low poly modeling and just flat colors for materials. Just push and pull vertices in maya, no sculpting or complicated workflow.

The minotaur model is the original sculpt that I called "pinhead" but actually getting him in a mock level and viewing in relation to the character, I dont think he looks like a dumbass any more. He's pretty cool. But I think I will still go through the exercise of building a simple, no normal map, more stylized low poly model like I have done for the hero. Then I can compare. Overall though, I think going for this style of characters will work better because it keeps me more in the fun zone and simplifies art workflow considerably. 

Okay, next I will work on texturing for this new stylized character style. She is going to be covered in tattoos but the major goal is to find a way to do that texturing that looks cool and allows me to just focus on overall design and not get bogged down with details. So I think probably mostly flat colors with some subtle gradients, no high detail noise or anything like that.

NSFW (historical nudity)

For the outfit I just base it on the famous statue. Not sure if I actually follow through on the tits out theme or not. I kind of want to because I feel like it makes her more badass. But you know, people are sensitive about body parts.

I feel that maybe I've gone a touch too far with proportions of legs to torso?

My design goal for this character is for her to feel agile and fast and scrappy.  If she was an animal she would be like a gazelle. Both an endurance runner but also can jump like crazy and has crazy reflexes. 

I think it mostly works to that effect? 

Not sure about the little accessories, but I figured some tassle / fur stuff to bounce a little while she moves might look nice

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:

That looks awesome! 
    The setting and mood really adds depth to the presentation of the minotaur.
    I especially like the shot of the character between its legs.
    You could try with the other silhouettes, though this one does look great as is. He's got a good arc going, and the head seems to be sized right

Would he have a weapon? Might be good to check with a weapon in hand since some large weapons can take away from the focus.

I feel the character looks proportionate, very gazelle, seems very agile, you should have a moveset that reflects that. 
    Elf like, check out the battles between legolas and trolls and orcs in LOTR and hobbit

And I do think you can use your camera to great effect, having it zoom in close as you aim and pull out as you let go adds a lot of depth to the impact of the shot. And sound is important to.
    Some references,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eApg077bIEo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6BrNNTpXwI
    https://youtu.be/0xp9ruMxfHM?t=221

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, no update on this project for a minute because been working on an update for an older game and it takes a lot longer than I hoped. But its nearly complete so I have been returning to this. 

I have been working on scheduling more than anything. After preproduction and then actually doing production task for awhile, getting a pretty clear picture that the timeframe is going to be tough to finish in two years. But I want to finish closer to one. 
    So I chopped down the scope to a smaller version, but keeping the same core gameplay I've already built. 

One of the biggest time sinks is the art though so I am working on further simplifying that. It is very difficult for me to do stylized as I just never really got into it even when I was a kid, however for the sake of keeping a manageable schedule I think its just got to be done. But there is one cartoon I liked a lot, even though I actually discovered it as an adult. That was Samurai Jack. Not sure why it clicked for me when others didn't, but like many people I just loved its minimalist style. 

So I am working on making something that looks like that. Using an unlit rendering style and stylized characters. So far I've remade the amazon heroine and also did a minotaur character. next I will work on a small level diorama. 
    The nice thing is that each of these characters only takes about 10-20 hours to complete - going from concept all the way to animated in the engine. And then making changes to them is very simple. So that's a nice bonus. 
    And with unlit rendering style, maintaining performance is too easy. 

some clipping on the skirt but nevermind that for the moment, I did a quick rig for now but will simulate the skirt and hair eventually

For the base mesh I started from the Bitgem basemesh which is like, a decade or more old and made for mobile games. But it's good! Monsters like the minotaur have to be made from scratch, but usualyl i just find anything close-ish in shape and do a quick retopo over that with very low resolution. 

Idea is that probably most of the games characters and even enviro assets can derive from a simple texture like this: 

For some environment stuff I use a world projected overlay, like for brick wall pattern, and I have some simple gradients as well. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay this is still WIP, but kind of liking this hanging garden of babylon test scene. This is not a functional level, just wanted to get something together quick to see what this art style might look like and what it will take to actually build it. 

I made the scale of the building halfway realistic, and it is nice that you can frame a shot of it like this, however I wonder if the sense of scale would seem more impressive if it was so huge that it could not fit on the screen entirely, so you have to crank the camera up to see the top.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so a lot of things done. I made schedule for 70 hours per character but I have finished the last three in about 12 hours or less. This is first draft of characters and not including animations, but nonetheless it seems like this art style is certainly a lot faster. A lot less technical things to think about so more energy just to focus on the characters which is nice. As for how it looks, I guess I'm starting to dig it, though it doesn't really matter what I think. Have to get trailer made and see if people will wishlist or not. 

Did a little more work on the levels geometry and a lot of shader stuff. Setup a very simple fake lighting system, just tint faces in a certain vector. Also some fake local lights where an actor can be placed to indicate local light source and it lerps a material parameter collection color to change tint of overlapped characters. 

Way i am doing characters is that i have a color swatch texture and i just make cuts into the geometry for uv shells and place them over different color swatches. So no texture painting. To me it feels too simplistic, but I look at the reference art style and it really is very simplistic... but it has style. For now I avoid urge to fix anything - just knock out character as quick as I can and once they are all done and I make the trailer/gameplay, then I'll consider what to fix. 
    For now I just give everyone a quick rig and either some mixamo animations or a pose. I feel like I can't get a proper gauge on how the character actually reads until it's in some sort of pose in the game. 

Gilgamesh and ereshikigal. I dont think they would be chilling together in historical canon but whatever, it's my game and they got a thing going on. And it's going to be a crazy boss fight. Gilgamesh looks kind of like a robot to me for some reason, and not instantly telling me he's an ancient Babylonian. I may need to add one of those funny hats. Jet black might not be the best color for him, perhaps brown skin and darker hair. But will save tweaks for future after some testing is completed. 
    Ereshkigal has plans to use some animated textures, because she will be kind of like a ghost. I want some scrolling cuniform text overlayed on her skin and if I can manage it, some sort of smokey, ghastly wings. But I'm happy enough with her design for now.

Dunno if i already posted or not but minotaur was my first attempt at this new style. His face isn't clear so fix that later. Gorgon is the newest, ignore some weird clipping it's just a quick job with the rig and I probably give her some different accessories. But I think the abstract snake skin works well. Not sure I keep her so green like that, but its nothing to change the colors, just move some UV shells. Her color will ultimately depend on her level and I haven't fixed a color scheme for that yet.

The amazon hero. Feels a little like a pixar character or something to me, I kind of wanted her to look tougher, but I'll probably develop this art style a little further after I get through all the characters, then I may have a better idea how to polish her. One problem having with the female characters is that all the faces kind of look the same. With flat colors its mainly the shape of the eyes and lips and shape of the hair and how it frames the face that makes the character, it seems. Kind of hard to find variations without it looking weird. But will probably get better at it as I go.

• iam717
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iam717 that's an excellent reference image. idea like that could work well for an underground labyrinth level. i think my shader right now has most of the features to support it so i'll give it a go once i get to that level
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple more characters. I think I figured out a few little tricks to make this style look a bit better. The furthest right character, the Nubian, was created a couple days ago. Then I did the two satyr characters, and I think they do look a bit more refined. There is a few subtle changes: 

1. I added thin borders of color to help define shapes. For example a thin black ring around the iris, two shades of colors for the lips, a fake shadow under the chin to help define the face, and little accents of color to help define forms. I think these things help make the character look a little more crisp and readable, and even though there is no lighting I think they still manage to feel somewhat detailed. 

2. I changed the color swatch texture to be gradients (image at bottom, thanks to pior for giving me the idea). This allows me to more quickly find a good color balance, and also I can get some subtle gradients both in luminance and saturation in, which seem to make the characters more appealing even if its barely noticeable. 

So the older characters I'll eventually update to get everyone on the same page but going to keep crashing forward with more characters for now. It is very fun because concept, texture, and model is all done in just a single go, so it feels very fluid and artistic, not much technical crap to worry about or complicated workflows.
    My theory in mind is that without lighting, and only the most minimal details to define forms, it should engage the imagination to fill in the missing details, whereas if I did something a little more complicated, like try to use PBR shading or more complicated lighting, I think then it begs for details that are missing. In other words I think with an appropriate degree of minimalism, it can look "complete" and not want for more, whereas if I go kind of halfway towards something else, it would just feel unfinished. So that is the principle I kind of working towards, though I am not sure how to actually measure if I reach it, haha. People just have to buy the game and enjoy it though, the art is just for me to have fun.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay first pass at the Persian hero character. waffled a lot on the design for this one and still not super set on it, but at least i got something ready can iterate on. Tried some baggy "harem" type pants but couldn't find anything that worked. Perhaps just needs some more time on it though, I just dont want to get sucked down rabbit hole of making complicated designs where simpler ones would be just as good. So I tried to do some simple pants with a pattern as seen in some references. 

don't ask me what the outrageous hat is meant to symbolize, but it shows up quite a bit during the era and i think you got to have some stupid hats in a game. 

not sure if pattern on the pants helps or hurts. i think it reads as messy because I have made the pattern just from making UV shells from the faces, thus there is a bit of stretchiness. Perhaps only a single type of pattern like the vertical bars on the lower half would be better. To get a cleaner result I would needa separate material and do a normal UV unwrap. But I don't want to make special cases yet... want to try and stick within limitations I've set and see if I can come up with something that works better. 

The idea is to have a feeling of a highly decorative outfits (reference below), but also should maintain that minimalist feel, so if there is a way can suggest the decorations without it actually having a lot of small details that is the goal. 
    But it may be better to not have the lower half be so visually busy since her upper body is already pretty decorative. Will wait till get trailer blocked in before making any decisions though.  it might look cool once in motion. 

main reference