Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GODOT4 - Handpainted "DOOM like" shooter

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
MagitonArt keyframe
Hey everyone,
I'd like to use this thread to document my progress in learning the Godot engine and hopefully make a small game as a side product.

CONCEPT
my idea is to make simple FPS shooter like old DOOM based in 15th century Bohemia.
I would like to explore both 2D and 3D sides of Godot 
 - 3D environment with 2D sprite elements
 - 2D  animated characters
 - 2D weapons
 *bonus - simple dialog

latest gif:

Wish me luck and any feedback is welcome!

Replies

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 1
    I've made some more props and tried to populate the scene a bit to soak up more of the atmosphere.

So far I like what I am seeing, next up will be:
     - color everything in
     - rig the enemy
     - animate the enemy

if that will look good and everything will go "smoothly" I'll start with 3D modeling

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 2
    Right now I "wasted" some time with learning the Skeleton2D and making a rig for the enemy, because I found out it's not optimal to use it in 3D scenes even tho it will be a 2D enemy.

Now I'll try to paint the enemy texture to a semi-final stage, as I don't have it in me to deal with 3D rig right after the 2D one. So, look forward to some hopefully pretty picture + if you have any tips on doing the 3D rig for 2D char and implementing it in Godot, feel free to share it with me.

Thanks!

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 3
    Ive focused more on painting up the existing assets just so I have an better idea of what I am going for before I start converting stuff into 3D.

Also, I am pretty happy with how the character turned out, unfortunately, I will need to make the rig all over again in external software.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Excited to see more as you work on this! Love the look and idea.
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 4
    To finally justify this post being in the 3D category, I've started converting the sprites in environment into 3D

I do plan to use a combination od 2D sprited, 3D simple vista objects and classic 3D objects to build my scenes.

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 5
    switching up the scenery for some interior + some basic lights

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 5.1

It's always a joy to play with the postprocess efects when building your scene, especially with the SSAO.

I feel like I always push it a bit too far, but on the other hand, it's so hypnotic how it all pops up

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 6
    this time I was focusing on the 3D pipeline. I've moved from using .obj to the .gltf as it has better support in Godot.
    Also started using the provided suffixes to generate or add collisions on import. I was pretty surpriced from how good it worked.

Besides that I played more with lights and postprocesses, couldn't resist to the Fog, so here are some results:

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I am loving this!!
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 7
    spending most of my time in Blender modelling details.
    I did bunch of ledges to hide seams, did a statue, candelabra, corner decorations, I've added back the cabinets and I figured how to set the sprites to be affected with a light + cast shadow.

My plan is to keep modeling!

• MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE  8
    I got pretty "cheap" update. I switched the Fog for Volumetric Fog as the Fog works good only on a flat plane and I want to have more verticality.
    + I found out the FPS template has interaction with physics, so I had to make something for it!

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be keeping an eye on this! Really interesting look. Lots of stuff you could be doing to reinforce the paper look too, like having the death screen be a page-turn, having enemies lose colour and maybe be drawn in reverse on death? Have you considered doing gameplay-wise that elevates it above a Doom clone, something that ties into that 2d factor somehow?
  • hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    Such a cool look!
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    I'll be keeping an eye on this! Really interesting look. Lots of stuff you could be doing to reinforce the paper look too, like having the death screen be a page-turn, having enemies lose colour and maybe be drawn in reverse on death? Have you considered doing gameplay-wise that elevates it above a Doom clone, something that ties into that 2d factor somehow?
    Hey! Happy you like it.

The page-turn death screen sounds really cool! But I am not necessarily going for a paper look, so, when it comes to enemies, I want a juicy blood particles and body parts, ideally followed with nice decals.

From gameplay side of things, I want to experiment more with melee combat and physics object interaction (kinda Half Life like) 
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 9

It's been some time, but here is a new update!

What held me down the most was that I wanted to ditch the downloaded controller for something I constructed using tutorials, so I practice some code + know what's there. So I finally did it!

Then it was pretty quick to setup navmesh and start on the basic AI that is just following you for now. I've then decided to reward myself with a temp Run animation + new art for the weapon

• Lord Berandas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Berandas polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool, keep it up! How does Godot workflow feel so far compared to other engines you worked with before?
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    Looks cool, keep it up! How does Godot workflow feel so far compared to other engines you worked with before?
    Thanks! Doing my best!

And I would call Godot a "Blender between engines", there are some things that you literaly need to do backwards, but on the other hand, bunch of the workflows feel way better then Unreal or Unity.

examples:
     + the importing of custom collisions from a 3D Software using suffixes is better then in UE or Unity
     -  I've never had soo much trouble getting a basic cube in the scene

One of the thing I value a lot when working on personal projects is that I can open my project and start working withing 15-30s. It may be lacking some of the "AAA" features, but I am more then willing to give up those, as I don't plan to make any "AAA" game by myself.

I haven't done any deep dive into Godot, so there might be something that might change my mind, but I haven't yet encountered it.
    So, I am really enjoying working with it so far, and would recommend it to others to try!
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    UPDATE 10

Gameplay is slowly coming together. I already know I will have to rewrite everything, but I am happy for now.

did buch of more animations

• Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    This is very cool! Exciting to see more Godot 4 stuff - can't wait to see more!
    Coming from Unity myself, I too have been loving how fast Godot 4 opens up my projects.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Quite an amazing style. I was thinking about very similar style for an Outlaws remake, but you managed to fit the original cut scenes quality a lot better with these sprites than I could ever imagine in full 3d. Keep up the great work!