Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

How do I create a shader that looks like the SkinShade4 from Zbrush in Unreal?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
jeffxfcVA triangle
I'm creating an Anime looking character right now and I'm debating on keeping it unlit or allowing detailed lighting. I don't know why but SkinShade4 is so much better at making anime models look pleasing than any other materials. Unfortunately, I can't replicate this on Unreal.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not familiar with this specific material at all
    but
    zbrush used to just use matcaps for everything so if that's still the case just look for  a matcap material tutorial, copy that and feed it the appropriate matcap LUT 
  • jeffxfcVA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffxfcVA triangle
    poopipe said:
    I'm not familiar with this specific material at all
    but
    zbrush used to just use matcaps for everything so if that's still the case just look for  a matcap material tutorial, copy that and feed it the appropriate matcap LUT 

Any tutorials that you recommend? I just use Unreal for rendering by plugging in my maps. Haven't really messed with the shaders at all really.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    https://youtu.be/osgMB0mf23w

Haven't watched it but ben cloward is generally very good
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    SkinShade4 is a "standard" material inside zbrush. If you open up the materials palette and expand the modifiers section you can check out all it's shader settings. It doesn't look like anything too complicated (just a slight increase in ambient contribution and blue tint in the specular from what I can tell). You could probably mimic something fairly close in UE by playing around.

You can also turn it into matcap texture from zbrush and then use the tutorial above if you wanted to. Just apply the shader to a sphere, adjust the lighting how you want, then just GrabDoc (or screencap) for the texture.