Home Career & Education

Being an Expat While Working Freelance

Hey All!

Really curious if anyone has any experience being an expat and traveling while doing freelance work? Just before Covid hit I was humouring the idea of living somewhere a bit cheaper then where I currently reside and also traveling while working. I was wondering if anyone else has tried doing this. I know many graphic designers, photographers etc, traveling while they work. But genuinely curious if anyone working in games/ TV/ VFX has done the same. Share any stories if you have them. I would like to hear some varying opinions on this.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

I've toyed with the idea myself as well but when I have a project going - and these can get kinda intense and last for months - I need to focus, I need the ergo chair, the big monitor and the sturdy desk. Working from some kind of temp digs somewhere or sitting on a bar stool balancing a laptop and a latte while oogling the local populace doesn't sound feasible.

If the job was as such that I could make my day rate back with an afternoon of 'consulting' or by phoning it in and if the projects had short turnarounds then it might be possible. Also helpful to have an agent so you don't spend half the day lining up new work and getting paid.

Pipedream, I call it. ;)

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter

I am doing this right now, technically as an independant contractor, but working fulltime as an environment art director. I have been slow traveling around europe, in spain, the UK and now bulgaria to escape the horrible canadian winters.

The company I work for as a contractor has no issues with it, and my bosses actually tell me how awesome it is I am doing it etc. I just invested in a really powerful laptop that can handle unreal engine, the dell XPS 17, fully maxed out and its been great for the last couple years when it comes to being portable and working remote.

it is totally do-able, I have some other friends in the industry who have been doing it as well, slow travel where you stay in one place for at least a month makes it affordable if you are getting monthly discount prices on AirBnB or can find local places to rent for short term stays of 1-3 months usually. Zero regrets about walking along the beach in Marbella this winter while it was -30 degrees back in Montreal :P

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Does living in non-native country mean you can't have the same tools? I mean, if you are just moving to Belize for example, who says you can't have a house/apartment with the same big monitor and desktop workstation?

The thing is just cheaper cost of living, right? Whatever stuff you can't easily get in the new country you could just bring with you?

• TheSerialChillah

That's awesome! Exactly what I've been wanting to do. Inspirational to hear. I live in Vancouver BC been here since 2015. I can't complain too much about the cold here. But in winter there is no sun in sight. Going thought the winter months without seeing the sun and being stuck inside in a city where its incredibly expensive to live. YIKES.

But Its awesome to hear a fellow Canadian is out there making it happen in Europe!

• TheSerialChillah

Yeah exactly. TBH all I need is a Laptop, Tablet and Second monitor and I'm good. Also finding a studio, or freelance gig that wouldn't mind me being in the location I want to be.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

The biggest issue is probably managing your tax obligations if you're planning to be anywhere long enough for the local government to start wondering where their cut is.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

This was about a traveling freelancer, at least that's how I understood it. So probably on the move every few weeks. I imagine showing up at the check-in desk with an Aeron and the world's biggest monitor in tow is going to get old after a while. ;)

Moving for good to a cheaper, sunnier place? Hell yeah. That's not a pipedream. Definitely on the list over here.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

aside from all this nice to have fluff. make sure you get the taxes, insurances, visa and everything right. maybe find a tax consultant that knows something about this. there are countries with tax agreements, there are others without. you will have to be registered somewhere. where do you pay which amount of tax?

i know from personal experience that 2 EU countries can already be a headache, i can not imagine how annoying this might be travelling more countries.

insurance is a whole different thing. if you are just travelling some travel insurance might work but if you plan to stay at a place for a significant amount of time, it might not apply.

• TheSerialChillah

Yes! Very Important indeed! I myself have already researched where I want to go and live almost purely based off of these reasons specifically. My personal plan wouldn't be to do any short term hopping around. Ideally find one spot to sit for a year. Cheap Food, cheap rent, Good internet. I've seen recently as well some countries have expat visas since covid which is cool.

A few years ago a friend of mine went to work overseas. Came back to Canada to more then 5 years of back taxes. He was living in a country where he wasn't being taxed much and was ignorant to the fact he would have to pay those taxes back when coming back to Canada. Kinda screwed himself over.