Home Marmoset

Can you not bake lightmaps in Marmoset?

I decided to get Marmoset Toolbag 4 today as I wanted a piece of software that is able to bake lighting into the textures. I know Substance painter does it but unfortunately you can only have 2 light sources. I specifically wanted Marmoset because you can add multiple light sources and such. However I'm starting to realize that there seems to be no way to actually bake said light sources.

Say if I make a lamp on a desk.. And I want that lamp to light the desk and such. I'd like to be able to bake the effects that the light and shadows have on the textures. I'm not going to be using Marmoset for renders but for realistically lighting scenes and then baking said lighting.

Can Marmoset not do that? I mean it seems pretty straight forward as software like Blender can do it and I'd consider Marmoset to be somewhat better at that sort of thing. If it can't do it then I'd be extremely surprised.. However I've watched some tutorials and cannot find anything on the matter.

If I can't do it then it would seem I just wasted money on something I won't otherwise use.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light baking was supported in Toolbag 3. Unfortunately, there were fundamental changes to the ray tracing backend in Toolbag 4 that made it no longer possible to support. This is something that we may be able to add back in the future, however, R&D will be required and we do not have an ETA at this time.
  • AlexanderLawrence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderLawrence polycounter lvl 16

I would love to see this feature added back in. I've tried doing it in Blender, and no matter what settings I change, it always spits out garbage. I've had better luck with Maya, but it has some limitations, and the process is clunky. Toolbag is so much smoother of an experience, and I would much prefer to use it for light baking.

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Would be cool to give people interested in baking lights m3, i heard/read you guys where doing that for some people if they asked, just wanted to mention it so this user can still utilize what they desired since they paid for m4.(to keep customers) You probably already p.m.d them that but want others who might see this to know that is an option. However if he/they are after the ray-traced light baking then i can see a problem arising. (hopefully i understand this stuff & am not assuming something totally different, sry to butt in.)

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@TheJovialBrit @AlexanderLawrence @iam717 light map baking has been reintroduced with the 4.05 beta, you can find instructions for installing the test build here: https://marmoset.co/toolbag/beta-history/

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Awesome, thank you for the information, i am sure others will be very happy to hear this, hope to try it if i ever need it when i also have "time".

• AlexanderLawrence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderLawrence polycounter lvl 16

That's excellent news. I'll go give it a try right now. Thanks for your hard work.

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter

Awesome, was just looking for that for a project!

• Slevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Subscirbed for marmoset because of this update, have no prior experience with toolbag though everything looks pretty straightforward.

Had to spend some time figuring why textures look downscaled and blurry compared to SP. Turned out had to import roughness in tga, and activate rgba for albedo.

But have a problem now a cannot resolve. Baking light at 2k rez - no artifacts. Baking at 4k, get wierd red and white squared taking big chunk of the texture. Tried increasing quality paraments - doesn;t matter, still get same artifcats in the same places at 4k which are not visible at 2k. Baked at 8k, got red artifacts in different places tho. Trying to figure what's going on..

So far, simple 2d view export from substnance gives sharper and cleaner results without any baking

edit:

Tried samples 1x at 4k, and got almost no issues. Anything above 1x brings back those nasty artifacts.

also wonder, do settings in "render" affect results of light baking? Tried activating ray tracing and some other options but didn't see any changes

edit 2:

Alright, I've tried everything I could have think of at this point. If try to increase samples over 1x, i get this:

With 1x samples, I get only the white lines on the handle, but the rest is ok, except maybe for few areas which seem to be over exposed with light for some reason, though in the viewport the model has equal exposure..

Any ideas? Tried to activate ray tracing and some other parameters in the Render section, but seems like it has nothing to do with light baking, only with actual image render

Edit 3

Fixed the issue by braking the model into sets. Not sure why marmo couldn't eat all combined, but at least solved the issue.

For those tiny lines on the handle, had to simply rebake with with .05 exposure

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Slevin please try the official 4.05 build, we fixed a bug with light baking with the latest update. This should auto-update when you launch TB if you had the beta build installed.

• Slevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@EarthQuake

I confirm, everything baked with no issues and straightforward. Superb