Homeβ€Ί 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Old Village

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Minai polycounter lvl 2

Hi everyone!

I started to work on this scene 1.5 month ago and I would like to share with you how it is progressing. The idea is to create a French old village in our age. The style is realistic.

The project is not finished and you'll see issues in the screenshots like tiling or colorimetry issues and other stuff like that. At this state, the scene is kinda boring but I plan to add a lot of colorful vegetation and some props like a fountain, a well or gutters (and of course, lighting/post process rendering!)

If you have any feedback on the current state of the project, I would love to hear them! Feel free to share any throughs!

PS: Nothing is definitive

Here is my ref board:

Replies

• Minai
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2

Here an update of the scene. I fixed UVs issues, recalibrate colors, added non-textured props and decals. I have the feeling that something is wrong with my stairs and my doors, I will probably try to fix that weird feeling in addition to the remaining tasks on next week!

Feel free to share your feedback!

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator

That second pass was a really nice step up!! It really helped to make the walls less unifroms and add details there.

I think your scene would still benefit of having a bt more color, in your reference board you have some example of yellow ish plastered wall, that bring some really nice color in there, on top if that if you had a bit of foliage and plants the green would also look good imo.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! I agree about adding more color. Adding painted doors, window frames + shutters (different owner, different colors) would be another opportunity to add some color. Some wood elements appear very dark. And some vertical gradient on the bottom of the facades would be nice, from weather hitting this area directly and dirt getting splashed from the ground.

Looks to me like on some windows and the doorframe (image1) the meshes' shading is off.

Keep it up!

• Minai
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2

Thank you Olingova and Fabi_G for your feedback! :)

I plan to add more colorful stuffs with the vegetation later. I made the choice to keep the buildings old and desaturated to contrast with the coming climbing plants and flowers. I would put colors on doors and window frames if the result is still too much fade after putting the vegetation but honestly, I should do some color test and see what is the best :)

I need to fix this shading issue on my window frame, thank you for the feedback!

Hope to be able to do all these stuff this week and show you the progress!

• Minai
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2

Hi everyone,

Just posting some updates of the scene here!

I fixed couple of issues related to shading and colorimetry (Thanks again to Olingova and Fabi_G for your great feedbacks!).

I worked on props (not on all but at least the pots and mail boxes) and I expect to finish the pipes and cables this week! (Also I definitively need to start working on those vegetations ^^').

As usual, feel free to bring your feedback!

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, cool!

I think shading on some of the pots could be tighter. You could use additional geometry to control shading or/and face weight the normals, or set hard edges + map UVs to trims. Some of the frames also appear to still have shading gradients.

I think you can push the fidelity of the edge/frame/trims/skirt meshes more. Those meshes are a good opportunity to add some detailed silhouettes and connect the large areas. When creating those, I would source construction from references (but maybe you already do?). Overpaints are always fun to explore solutions imo. Another option is of course to check in games, what kind of solutions they used for similar environments.

here is a rough overpaint with some possible edge detail meshes that would also integrate into the facade a bit more:

Another general thing that might be cool, is if the roads lower towards their middle, so rain would be able to run away.

Lighting wise, shadows are bit dark, some ambient light and global illumination would help.

Keep it up πŸš€ Looking forward to the foliage!

• Minai
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2

Hey @Fabi_G ,

I prefer your overpaint version haha :). You're right, my environment really needs to be more organic! It helps me to understand what is wrong in the architecture in my scene! Everything is so straight (and proportions can be improved!). I would like to create different brick size as texture to be used as decals for the walls to get stuff like the picture below, and I think I should do the same thing for the door frame!

For the tone, I didn't touch the lights so far, that's why everything looks so dark but I plan to lighter the shadows for sure.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedbacks! :)

PS: I baked my normal maps with smoothed edges on meshes, that's why there are shading gradient issues ><

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Nice! I imagine a kit of stone meshes could be useful to a) scatter on surfaces and b) build edges with. Can be combined with meshes using a trims. But yeah, sometimes it's a bit back and forth until a good kit is found. As long it's fun πŸ€“πŸ‘οΈ