Home Unity

Particle Editor ? is there one ?

monodrobe
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
monodrobe polycounter lvl 9

Relatively new to unity so still finding my way around certain aspects. But kinda under the impression there's no particle editor. Editing values of a selected object isn't the same as a proper editor. I want an actual file to be able to reference and what not. So am I missing some basic work flow here?

So fat I make the asset, drag it into the folder i want to have it saved. But I can t work on it and view changes in real time with this method.

An alternative workflow Im considering is having a particle system in a prefab, that way I can work on it selected and see the changes. But this seems like sloppy architecture

crossing fingers Im just missing something simple cause this just feels complicated and frustrating

Replies

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth

Yup, Prefab is the way to go. Unity's Prefab system is very versatile and its not a sloppy architecture, when you code it properly if you want to change specific things at runtime that are not supported directly by the built in particle properties.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysUsage.html

• monodrobe
    Offline / Send Message
    monodrobe polycounter lvl 9

I think you sorta missed what I was getting at. Shortly after it dawned on me the particle object itself is a prefab, and it itself can be opened and edited while selected, So with that work flow you can edit the effect and see the changes in real time.

But its sloppy in the sense there's no way to generate a a particle file other then spawning one into the game environment and then dragging that into your explorer, and then resetting the internalized transform data that it drags over from being placed in the world. It baffles me there's no option in the create sub menu (unless I missed it) But in all the tutorials I watched and documentation I read, everyone does it by creating one in the world.

I also really feel that the object shouldn't need to be selected in order to play. Some kinda option would be nice, like there is for real time update on shaders, so you can see panners and what not in your viewport. Say you have fog clouds or steam effects for your environment. Not being able to see those do their thing while framing up your environment is detrimental.

But at least I can edit and see the updated changes now with out having to click back and forth all the time