Home Technical Talk

UV'S Workflow

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
zippper4 polycounter lvl 4

Hello, i'm a beginner and i'm trying to have a better workflow actually, i was wondering :

• When you have many same objects on a scene for example : screws, nails, wheels etc. do you need to unwrap each one of them separately ? Or do you keep only one mesh, unwrap it and then texturing it and you duplicate it on the scene ? (Sorry it's complicated to explain)

• Also if you do texture only one meshis it possible after to re-attach meshes together even if they share the same UV's ? Will it break the UV'S

Replies

• zippper4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

you probably should only UV something like a screw or wheel once then make duplicates of the geometry to place it in the scene. This would save time and make sure the UVs are standardized for all those models that are just copies of each other.

If you were to make a texture variation for any of them, you start off with the same UV layout and all texturing work basically carries over to all of them saving time. Projects aren't always completely linear in workflow, you might come back and want to change or retexture something, so making that as painless as possible is something to think about.

Attaching models together shouldn't break any UVs. You could just quickly see for yourself.

• zippper4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • zippper4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Ghogiel Hello thank you for your answer :)

Okay so basically i'm duplicating and i can make variations i only do it with the texture. Got it.

That's why i want to improve myself in my workflow because i think it's important to be able to modify later on.

Anyway thanks!