Home General Discussion

Art test question. Props for unreal engine.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Vedro polycounter lvl 2

Hello, I have questions about my art test for a studio that develops VR/AR applications.

Now I don’t understand a little how my model should look in the final.

1.Should I texture the model using only tiled textures and trims (that is, with different texture sets for a separate part of the model)?

2.Do I need to use two UV channels? For example, one UV for the model of the air conditioner case, the other for the fan grille with a transparency map.

3.Should I make multiple texture sets for the same model? (I don't think I should, but I'll ask anyway)

4.What resolution should the texture be if the texel density value is 20.48 px/cm ?

Art Test Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1upDyrWrlpGnkJ628QSXHtM-97rEr-e5MliX_UWkiKjQ/edit?usp=sharing

I'm probably asking the wrong questions, please correct me.

The final model will be presented in an unreal engine.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Should I texture the model using only tiled textures and trims (that is, with different texture sets for a separate part of the model)?

Seeing as you are allotted multiple material IDs (four), yes. You can use a mix of trims/atlases, and unique texturing to your advantage.

Do I need to use two UV channels? For example, one UV for the model of the air conditioner case, the other for the fan grille with a transparency map.

No, you do not need multiple UV sets for multiple materials/elements. Have everything in one UV channel, and apply Material IDs to separate them.

Should I make multiple texture sets for the same model?

It's insinuated in the brief, try to accomplish good visuals with one or two for bonus points I imagine. It'll show resourcefulness.

What resolution should the texture be if the texel density value is 20.48 px/cm

texel density doesn't dictate how high or low resolution the texture sets will be. The amount of tiling in conjunction with the texture resolution is how you achieve a certain texel density.

• Vedro
    Offline / Send Message
    Vedro polycounter lvl 2

Hello, thanks for the answer, you really helped me.

But I don't understand how can I make the texel value 20.48.

I tried to set this value in Rizom UV, but at 2k texture the value is about 14-15, at 4k it's about 30... But in the test, the deviation from the tesel value is +-3. Maybe I need to redo the UVs?

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Sounds like it's giving you the texel density if you were to stay within 0-1 bounds (no tiling) with those texture limitations. You can scale your uvs past the 0-1 bounds, overlap etc to get the 20.48 value.

Using something like textools helps visualize this, you input the desired TD, what texture resolution being used, and it'll scale the UV shells with respects to those two values.

• Vedro
    Offline / Send Message
    Vedro polycounter lvl 2