Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Direction & Feedback about presenting my trailer

SimonKl
triangle
Offline / Send Message
SimonKl triangle
I'll try keeping it short because I know many people on here are already very busy.

Replies

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Summarized: I didn't have a job in this field yet (I got a bachelors in Game Design though), you could say I come fresh from Uni. I have been getting back to doing 3D work and decided to sweep out my student work and fill my portfolio with the highest quality assets I can produce as of now.

Thoughts and ideas would be amazing - so far I have only been given feedback by myself.

First time using high to low poly workflow + cloth sculpting in a bigger project like this for me. I feel like I took way too long to complete this but I definitely learned a lot.

Hard surface modeling, low poly and a bit of cloth sim in C4d, Zbrush to sculpt folds + wood, Maya for UVs and Substance Painter and Photoshop for texturing.

Unreal Engine Renders:

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

Any feedback regarding presentation and of course thoughts on the quality of the asset itself would be awesome. :)

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

I'm not sure what you think is wrong with your presentation at present?

There's a good control of tone and contrast, you're not overdoing the post-processing, details and focal elements are clearly composed and there's a consistent (and visually pleasing) sense of style. I wouldn't worry too much about changing your lighting between shots.

My main concern is that you are showing us far, far too much. I'm not even sure how many images you have in this post, but you need to really trim the set down. Say 10 or so for the entire piece - including wireframes and documentation images. Make your point ("look how awesome my model is") in a concise and focused way. Think about what meaningful information every image brings to your post.

We don't need to see your AO bakes. 1, maybe 2 overview high-poly & wireframe shots should suffice. Personally I don't think seeing the UVs is useful but others may differ.

If you do want to show things in this level of detail, i'd suggest something like a video or sketchfab/marmoset viewer embed. There is also nothing wrong with collaging together multiple shots into a single image.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Thank you rexo. You thinking my presentation is visually pleasing means a lot to me since I love how you presented your train with the playful livery!

Your feedback is very valuable.

I thought the issue with my presentation was that I had flaws in the background and the lighting changed too much between shots but maybe I was just sitting in my dark basement room looking at my renders a bit too long.

Yes I completely agree. I will edit my initial post. The idea about collaging is so obvious (and good) but somehow I didn't think about it even though many people do that on artstation...

Alright, back to Unreal I go. 🙂

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

It's me again 😁.

I rendered out 2 videos in Unreal and overall condensed the overflow of images and text I had in my post.

Do you guys think I should post it like this in my portfolio?

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah should be fine, as mentioned just a few accompanying stills would suffice alongside a brief but concise description and you're done!

Edit:

Also both material definition plus lighting standout for me on this piece - nice.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

@sacboi Thank you for your comment. :)

I'm currently working on a proper turntable. Also some additional tweaks - I just saw I got a nasty low poly corner in one of my pics:

Once I am done with this I'll post it on my Artstation and link it here in case someone wants to see the final result.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

After a small break I finally got back to it and finished it!!

Here is it on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KOwbGW

Added the turntable and polished some of the video backgrounds.

Do you think having my initials on the numberplate is a bit too cheesy? 😋

• Sisyphos_Archive
  • SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Ob ich bei der HTW Berlin war? Nein. 😂

• Lukes3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

When the camera goes past the taillights in the videos, I could tell it was an image. You should probably model all of the details in the taillights, especially when the rest of the model is at a very high detail.

Everything else looks Steller.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Thank you for your Feedback Luke! :)

Damn you are right, now when I look especially at the turntable with the lights "on" you can see looking at them from the side that there is no light coming out either. You're right - modeling the interior and having light coming from inside would be the best solution.