Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Direction & Feedback about presenting my trailer

SimonKl
triangle
Offline / Send Message
SimonKl triangle
I'll try keeping it short because I know many people on here are already very busy.

Replies

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Summarized: I didn't have a job in this field yet (I got a bachelors in Game Design though), you could say I come fresh from Uni. I have been getting back to doing 3D work and decided to sweep out my student work and fill my portfolio with the highest quality assets I can produce as of now.

Thoughts and ideas would be amazing - so far I have only been given feedback by myself.

First time using high to low poly workflow + cloth sculpting in a bigger project like this for me. I feel like I took way too long to complete this but I definitely learned a lot.

Hard surface modeling, low poly and a bit of cloth sim in C4d, Zbrush to sculpt folds + wood, Maya for UVs and Substance Painter and Photoshop for texturing.

Unreal Engine Renders:

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

high-res

Any feedback regarding presentation and of course thoughts on the quality of the asset itself would be awesome. :)

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Thank you rexo. You thinking my presentation is visually pleasing means a lot to me since I love how you presented your train with the playful livery!

Your feedback is very valuable.

I thought the issue with my presentation was that I had flaws in the background and the lighting changed too much between shots but maybe I was just sitting in my dark basement room looking at my renders a bit too long.

Yes I completely agree. I will edit my initial post. The idea about collaging is so obvious (and good) but somehow I didn't think about it even though many people do that on artstation...

Alright, back to Unreal I go. 🙂

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

It's me again 😁.

I rendered out 2 videos in Unreal and overall condensed the overflow of images and text I had in my post.

Do you guys think I should post it like this in my portfolio?

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi insane polycounter

Yeah should be fine, as mentioned just a few accompanying stills would suffice alongside a brief but concise description and you're done!

Edit:

Also both material definition plus lighting standout for me on this piece - nice.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

@sacboi Thank you for your comment. :)

I'm currently working on a proper turntable. Also some additional tweaks - I just saw I got a nasty low poly corner in one of my pics:

Once I am done with this I'll post it on my Artstation and link it here in case someone wants to see the final result.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

After a small break I finally got back to it and finished it!!

Here is it on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KOwbGW

Added the turntable and polished some of the video backgrounds.

Do you think having my initials on the numberplate is a bit too cheesy? 😋

• Sisyphos_Archive
  • SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Ob ich bei der HTW Berlin war? Nein. 😂

• Lukes3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

When the camera goes past the taillights in the videos, I could tell it was an image. You should probably model all of the details in the taillights, especially when the rest of the model is at a very high detail.

Everything else looks Steller.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Thank you for your Feedback Luke! :)

Damn you are right, now when I look especially at the turntable with the lights "on" you can see looking at them from the side that there is no light coming out either. You're right - modeling the interior and having light coming from inside would be the best solution.