Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Cliffside City Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Original Concept by: JC Jongwon Park (https://jcpark.artstation.com/)

Most Recent WIP shots.

Up until now i have been mostly working on the far-away views of the scene, but i plan to make shop/market assets in order to make it seem more alive. The original concept has a lot of tarps hanging from the buildings and i really like that layered canopy-like look. The first anthem trailer has a similar aesthetic.

For the texture style the original concept reminded me of a toned down Ghibli-like aesthetic and i tried making some materials that evoked a similar feeling with some inspiration of the Arcane style.

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i like the painterly colorization and stylization you're exploring. looking forward to seeing how you develop it.

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Set up a basic Vertex Paint material and started blending the textures together.

I made 2 versions of the material, one where I was blending the AO with the Color, it gave the models more depth but it also made the scene a lot darker and noisier, Here is a comparison of the 2 materials.

With the Ambient Occlusion color blend:

Without the AO Blend:

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

More lighting and texture refinement

Going to start working on the Market/bazaar assets now.

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Made some more detailed arches and modular parts to integrate them into some of the existing buildings and will use them to make some trims for the environment.

Made a very simple Spline Mesh Blueprint to place the cables (will be added soon) and tapestry in the scene

Also made some changes to the lighting, textures and vertex painting

Some of the shadows in certain places are very harsh and i`m trying to find a way to reduce their intensity.

I will also need to fix the cliffs in order to fix some of the weird normal issues as well as add in some greenery and foliage to the scene.

• Lukes3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

There's alot of things I could say, but its a WIP so not sure what parts are finished and whats not.. Are you going to work on the cliff texture?

I think this image looks the best.

The lighting seems the most natural. There's some image where there appears to be too much ambient light.

Maybe add some birds and a spaceship in the foreground.

Check out this video. Alot of things they talk about can be applied to this sort of scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXO-82Eodo

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Cliffs are the roughest/most unfinished part right now, something is going wrong when i'm baking the highpoly and im in the process of fixing it.

Birds and a spaceship(going trough the hole of the main structure) are things i will add in the future.

The scene having too much light is a comment i keep getting so i'm going to tone it down,

I'll check the video out and see what i can apply.