Home Marmoset

Poor texture quality with 8k input maps

I'm having texture quality issues in Marmoset. I'm using 8k maps, but in Marmoset everything looks super low and blurry and also the export is exactly in that poor quality in the end. Compared to substance you see the difference, both use the same maps. I already tried to turn off mipmaps in Marmoset (i read there was a bug once). What else could cause that issue? I did not find any (obvious) settings that could fix this. Both exports in the example pic are exported as 2k maps.

Replies

• Tomfaysal

Does really nobody else have issues in Marmoset with high res textures?

• EarthQuake

Are you working with Texture Projects in Toolbag, or is this a concern related to baking?

Assuming this is a Texture Project export issue:

How it works currently is if you set your export resolution (Size in Export Settings), it will composite the textures at that resolution.

If your input map and/or Project Resolution (set in Project Settings) is higher, you may want to export at the same resolution and down sample the textures in an application like Photoshop to retain the best detail. I would recommend Bicubic (smooth gradients) when down sampling in PS. Auto or Bicubic Sharpen will downsample and then sharpen the images - which may or may not be desirable.

We've discussed composting at the Project Resolution rather than the Export res for final exports and down-sampling automatically. This is something that we will look into adding in a future release.

• Slevin

Substance exports 2 normal maps, one of them has height info added, make sure you bring the 2nd one to marmoset as it seems like it is simply missing the height info

• Tomfaysal

EarthQuake said:

We've discussed composting at the Project Resolution rather than the Export res for final exports and down-sampling automatically. This is something that we will look into adding in a future release.

Sorry for the slightly over 1 year later delayed response:
    Exporting in the input maps resolution fixes the issue. It would be nice tho if marmoset can fix that during the export itself (it's still blurry in the latest version 4.06).

Thanks for the help!
  • EarthQuake
    Tomfaysal said:

EarthQuake said:

Exporting in the input maps resolution fixes the issue. It would be nice tho if marmoset can fix that during the export itself (it's still blurry in the latest version 4.06).

Thanks for the help!
    Yes this is still on our todo list.

What I would recommend for now is resizing the input maps - or baking them at project map resolution. You can always edit the project to use higher resolution input maps if you need it at some point in the future. Matching the resolution will save some video memory and should improve performance and stability.
  • Tomfaysal

EarthQuake said:

Thanks for the help!