Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Luc Abbott-Harvey (ghostlycc)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ghostlycc triangle

Hello!

My work consists of various character concepts, focusing on fanatasy, avant garde, futurism, and historical designs, and I enjoy creating many designs for characters and testing various ways that characters can be portrayed!

Here I will be posting my progress of my designing skills and any works or drawings I want to share!

My ArtStation has more of my work and projects: https://ghostlycc.artstation.com/

I am blogging about my progress of learning more about character designing over at http://ghostly.cc

Replies

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

This is my project from a live brief from university given by CCP ( EVE Online ) that I completed in March / April 2022, of a character called Tarina Estida that I created for the project.

This was pretty much the first time I made a full character in 3D and also blockouts, and I really want to develop how I show my characters, so if there's any tips anyone can give me to improving my compositions lmk !

Feedback welcomed !

My Artstation: https://ghostlycc.artstation.com/

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

ANATOMY STUDIES

I challenged myself to improve my anatomy drawings during the time of my last semester at university ( March 2022 - September 2022 )

March 2022

April 2022

[TBC]

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

MAJOR PROJECT FOR MA GAME DESIGN - HERTFORDSHIRE UNIVERSITY

I wanted to create a concept art book centered around at least 3 characters, but also storytelling is not my strong suit, so I looked into the storylines of some of my favourite games, such as Bioshock and Silent Hill, which are games that delve into themes of mental health and the supernatural. 

Inspired by games such as Dishnoured, League of Legends, and Vampyr, I decided that a world based around real places from the 18th - 19th Centuries would be something I could work with.

Doing more research into the world ideas, I remembered the town in Japan which a lady made dolls of all the people who lived there after they had moved away, and this gave me the idea of the storyline and allowed me to picture exactly what characters I want to make and their story.

Once thinking of the directions to go, I ultimately came to conclusion that taking real life cursed objects was the thing I wanted to focus on.

Researching these objects allowed me to find the dates they were created, their backstories, the beings that haunt them, and the effects they have on the people that own them.

1. The Clockmaker

The first character I focused on was the concept of an engineer or doctor type figure that was inspired by the Graves Supercomplication, a pocketwatch known to be the most impressive piece of mechanical engineering, that isn’t a computer, in history. 

I came to make a decision that this was going to be my playable character for my story, and that he would be called the Clockmaker, keeping in theme of the Supercomplication. 

These are the pieces I have so far for this project, and I will be continuing to update this thread as it progresses.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Hair really isn't my strong suit >_<"

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i feel that the concept with the eye spark is the strongest one. nice work!

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Not digital but ive been doodling with inks today and came up with some more concepts for another character in my major project.

Not sure if I'll use them but this was fun to do !

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Been doing a load of costumes at the weekend for my main character and just trying to get ideas down.

• ghostlycc
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

without really knowing what is to be conveyed with the character, i like 2. in 'costume-dev-1.jpg', with glasses and without torn cloth. the chest piece in 6 from the same series, is a cool shape too but like the black pants with blue accent from the neck. i haven't had a ton of experience with concept art but helped previz a project for 6 months, it was a lot of fun. this format gets SO much feedback from a team. the more options shown the more feedback you'll receive. nice explorations, i'm no authority but think you have good fashion sense.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

@killnpc thank you very much ! i mean i'll take any feedback i can get rn !!!

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

ive been making some arm concepts for my character !

I've tried a mixture of ways to create the design I ended up using at the moment, mainly I knew that the hand was going to be replaced with a gun of some sort, and that the elbow joint would be a hinge. and so combining lots of aspects of existing prosthetic arms, machinery, and real life firearms, I think I've made a pretty good decision with this !

I am now never going to look at this again and go take a nap 😴😴😴

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

some more costume concepts and a sneaky peak at the final design ( last image )

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

CHARACTER 2

ive been making a new character because i was getting burnt out with the last one

shes a robot / cyborg - idk which one yet - who has been made by the clockmaker ( last character )

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

MORE THINGS !!!

trying to figure out concepts for the costume and how "robot-y" i want this character to be

i have got a final concept for the face and ive got to a good point to start doing a proper render now !

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6b2wJx

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Hi

Great thread, I love the variations. The heads are going in the right direction, it reminds me of this playstation 1 advert.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

head developments !

these are 2 final options

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

for my third character ive challenged myself to create a character as quick as i can because i am running out of time

this character is the witch / crone, who follows the player around the world giving cryptic advice and hinting towards the rest of the story

i spent a day creating sillhouettes and quick sketches

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

to be quicker, i took the concepts i had and rather than worrying too much about having a neat and final line art, i started photobashing

i am also recording the process to use for a showreel / artstation and to see how long it takes me to create the final concept

ive still got a ways to go, however this is the quickest i have rendered a character as it has taken 2 days to get to this point whereas it wouldve take me about a week normally !

not worrying about having it realistic and "perfect" is also a big help to how i designed this character so far and im hoping to carry this on at the same rate im going.

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

nice work ghostlycc, you're definitely using the entire concept process to your favor, it's a lot of work and focus but does tend to yield a solid result in the end. pretty awesome to watch.

this recent 'second character' reminds me of "The Windup Girl", the character in the book is described more organic rather than clockwork, but elicits a similar motif, she's essentially a genetically engineered prostitute, an Asian doll, i've only read the first few chapters but was already getting raw af.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Thank you !

i might need to check that book out now because i was trying to go for a mix of clockwork / mechanics and organic for her so i definitely will check it out !

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

For the first time, I've been trying out some world building and props, as well as some NPC's and enemies.

My work has always really focused on protagonists and Good Guys so this is a nice change to try out something new !

These aren't the final page layouts btw, it's just to show on here !

The first page is the "Sky Dwellers", the rich people of Upper Ironbreach, whos wealth is depicted through how many prosthetics they have, and they exploit the Lower Lanes by profiting off of their suffering through filming the citizens through their bots.

The second is the Lower Lanes Citizens, while the "Sky Dwellers" have limbs that are for fashion and statement pieces, these people can't even get basic healthcare and at the moment I am deciding whether to make them revolt against Upper Ironbreach or not.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Facsimile is now up for viewing and free download over on my Artstation and Youtube !

For the past 14 weeks I have been creating this 50+ page concept art book as you can see from the posts above.

All of the long hours and sleepless nights has finally paid off and im excited to know what you all think !

Facsimile on Artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/ghostlycc/albums/6646821

For the full art book of Facsimile, check out the PDF here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQLIYh2fuGEKShmphO_SOc33XzromtKf/view?usp=sharing

And for a full read along video, check out the YouTube video here:

PLEASE DO NOT REUPLOAD OR USE WITHOUT CREDITING THE CREATOR

Thank you !

• Luc
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

Facsimile is now up for viewing and free download over on my Artstation and Youtube !

For the past 14 weeks I have been creating this 50+ page concept art book as you can see from the posts above.

All of the long hours and sleepless nights has finally paid off and im excited to know what you all think !

Facsimile on Artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/ghostlycc/albums/6646821

For the full art book of Facsimile, check out the PDF here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQLIYh2fuGEKShmphO_SOc33XzromtKf/view?usp=sharing

And for a full read along video, check out the YouTube video here:

PLEASE DO NOT REUPLOAD OR USE WITHOUT CREDITING THE CREATOR

Thank you !

• Luc
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

I remade a concept from 2018 as a one day design challenge !

The Monster Caliban // The Tempest Character Design is over on my artstation !

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YKddQ3

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    hey polycount long time no see !

lately ive been doing a 2 week course in vehicle design and the brief was "A Vehicle that Sells a Product" and so i chose and ice cream van that may exist in a scifi western or fallout game.

I wanted to have the vehicle towed by a cow that was also a source for the ice cream, as well as mixing snake oil salesman carts and 60s cars, which was  A HUGE challenge.

Choosing my favourite sketches, I picked out the pros and cons and next step is moving on to developments ! 
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    Follow up for the vehicle course ! 
    I worked on more developments for the silhouette and details

I played around with ideas of the cow being in a trailer and the cow towing the car, but I want to keep the towed ideas. 
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    The next part of the project I developed all the ideas I created, changing up the fronts to feel more retro, and figuring out the back and sides to create a mismatched and DIY feeling.

Below are the final 3 designs I chose to work on, along with the options of milk tanks and ice cream makers on the side.

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    This is FINALLY my final design ! I'm now working on my render and colours :) 

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    IT IS FINISHED ! 
    I finally completed my Fallout inspired ice cream van and it is also up to view over on my Artstation :)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EvZ8qe

• ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    my newest project is "emissary from another world" for the concept101 event in september 

i am taking inspiration from western religion, the mandela catelogue, spanish catholisism, and giants >:)

^ I wanted the silhouette to be big and intimidating, and while sketching i had the thought of "what sends a message... ah yes beheading !" so i ran with this idea of an executioner that is visiting a world to "send a message", in the same area as the heads on spikes idea. a bit more literal with the meaning of emissary but it's super fun to try this out !

^ These sketches were drawing more inspiration from the religious aspect, and how I could combine the two ideas.

^ So far this is what i'm working with ! this is a super fun project and TOTALLY up my alley and i'm just hoping i can keep up this project before the event !
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle

ok now i am completely stumped on where to go next... i absolutely love 1 and 3 so i'm going to play around with those ideas and mix them up with some colour and do more reasearch on what i want the details to look like. 
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    i have started the final image and i HATE rendering but im actually quite enjoying this !
    i think its because im designing as i go rather than following a set plan ??? 

im not sure how much of the red is going to stay, but now ive got a plan of the details i think i'll just keep going with red until i hate it i guess xD ! 
  • ghostlycc
    Offline / Send Message
    ghostlycc triangle
    i did actually finish the piece before the deadline !!!
    i made 2 variations because i couldnt decide on which one i liked more