Home Career & Education

[Concept Art Portfolio] Questions regarding polishing up client work

Hi all, these are probably phenomenally stupid questions.

1) I worked on a theme park project, the express timeline given was pretty breakneck, so as a result, the concept art works I sent over to the client are lacking in polish. The project has since commenced, and no NDA was signed from my side regarding the concept artworks. I would like to include some of the pieces from this project on my portfolio, could I possibly touch it up into a more finished state before putting them on my portfolio?

2) I worked on a non-NDA signed Art test, it was again rushed and completed in a two-day timeline. Could I polish it up and upload it into my portfolio? I will not mention that it was for an art test.

Thanks.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

No NDA no problem do what ever you please with your art

• 123artguy123

I see..

I just entered this industry relatively recently and i guess what I want to ask, is it common for people to polish up their studio / client work before placing them in their professional portfolio? Like is it wrong to take a couple of hours to touch up a 8/10 environment painting into a 10/10 ( provided I get permission from the studio itself) Or is it considered like a faux pas, like you aren't being honest about your skill level / time taken required.

• Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin polycounter lvl 6

Be honest about your skill level. So, you could mention on the portfolio pieces that they have been polished, maybe show the originals as secondary images.

You don't want to end up in a position where your lead/client expects more of you than you can deliver.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

Of course not ,you are posting your beauty shot so bunch of filters photoshop magic overpaint and other tricks and cheats are allowed you are aiming to show your art at the best light possible .Client will hire you because they liked your art and they want something similar , you have done it once you could do it again [hopefully] In your case you will have to work harder anyway to reach consistent level of quality so dont worry about time , if client ask you for estimation gestimate the best you can if you need more just ask they will understand

• 123artguy123

Thanks for the advice guys.