Home General Discussion

What's with all these NFT proposals?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
SgtHK triangle

I've gotten at least 5 people emailing me about doing the "next big" NFT project over the last 4 weeks. I don't really care much about NFTs. The only reason why I mint my artwork as NFTs is to do so before someone else rips them off and sells them as their own NFTs. (actually someone already has with my most recent artwork).

Has anybody else gotten these kinds of emails?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

ALL THE FUCKING TIME

and the shit offers get worse and worse... at first I just turned them down nicely, now that its so many i ignore them. to some special cases i feel like i should answer what i actually think about their trash money grab attempt...

but now my question is, how do you think mintin is preventing anything? everyone can download your images and mint them elsewhere. the only thing you mint is a token, its not like that token will copyprotect your work in any way.

you claim you have the original, they will claim they have the original but in the end, its all copies as its just digital data, not the raw data on the original medium. just because you own the original doesnt prevent anyone from selling copies, as nfts, as posters, printed on ugly ass tshirts or coffee mugs. how will it prevent any of that?

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

i dont get it either

beeple sold his NFTs for a shitton of money, but i mean, he at least did it in a cool way, delivering cool art and premium packaging & product, good for him

but now everyone wants to make quick cash by selling trash art to idiots and even publishers are jumping on the hypetrain with the next iteration of micro transactions in form of NFTs

• SgtHK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtHK triangle

I don't know the answer to all those questions. What I know is that I don't want to just sit on my ass while some random no-name guy rips off my art as their own token. By minting my own artwork, what I'm trying to say to people is: Look here's the original art, coming from the original author. Here's also my ArtStation, Behance, DeviantArt, etc, where I first posted them online. If you want NFTs that are actually worth something, buy the one that's minted by me, the original author, not from some random no-name creep from a black hole somewhere.

It's really all I can do.

It's the same thing with signing my name on every one of my artwork. I can't stop people from just using the Photoshop spot healing brush to erase my name, claim it as their own, and print it off as a t-shirt somewhere. But I sign my name nonetheless.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

but just because some rando minted some random art (if yours or others doesnt matter) doesnt give it value. sounded like you want to mint to protect something from happening. if you intend to trade your own nfts then okay i see the point.

but this will not prevent art theft, its just a new tool/market to make it happen, but those faux copies will not gain any traction because they are just the same as fake merchandize. if significant amounts of money are being shifted around, get a lawyer. no idea how copyright laws work where you live, but in europe and the us they exist, if someone makes real money with my work, i'd just go after them, you dont need a patent or registered trademark to apply copyright laws

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Copyright is what legally determines ownership of your work - you automatically own the copyright to your work as soon as you create it - as long as you have proof that you've created the artwork. Generally, this would be the original source art time stamped with date of creation, but could also be credit on a commercial product, as well as known publication of the work - on your artstation page, social media accounts, including work in progress shots and things like that.

The crucial thing is you have to protect that copyright if someone infringes upon it. This means sending C&D/copyright takedowns in any instance that you see art theft. And if that doesn't stop the person who is infringing, you'll need to take the person to court to resolve the matter - and pay all of the legal fees etc.

Minting an NFT doesn't protect you in a legal sense or make it harder for someone to steal your work. It may make it easier to prove that you're the original owner of the work, however, this doesn't mean much unless you're prepared to file suit against the other party. Even in that case, it's doubtful whether a court would consider an NFT certificate meaningful or relevant.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so you should speak to a professional if you have concerns about art theft.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

If you see it as similar to signing your art then it makes sense to me.

If you figure you can make some cash trading NFTs then that also makes sense.

In terms of protection I think EQ/neox have nailed it

edit : correcting credits

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

Has anybody here worked with Victor Chaos yet? Seems legit.

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

When I was a product design student we learned that patent pending cost 10,000 bucks AUS for world wide application. The guy from the patent office told us that Taiwan didn't recognize patents (kinda handy for them as they were considered the number 1 knockoff location at that time). The advice from the patent office guy was get in quick, make a killing and then get out as fast as possible. That sounds like this coupled with the art investment world's fascination with a first off.

• SnowInChina
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

I can't wrap my head around why anybody thinks NFT's make sense. I have heard, quite often, the carbon footprint per NFT. According to the below website, your average NFT will require 211 kgs of carbon emissions. That's insane. That's way more emissions than a flight from one side of North America to the other. I don't understand how we can be going through a climate crisis and having people argue that these are OK. I don't see how these things provide value in any way other than people trying to get rich off each other.

https://qz.com/1987590/the-carbon-footprint-of-creating-and-selling-an-nft-artwork/

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

just looks like a get rich quick fad to me.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

and may I add. OECD econimies must pull their collective fingers out by not reneging on COP26 commitments or pretty much, would amount too nothing but rumination...

effectively - nfts = ponce

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

"To calculate the carbon impact of adding this block to the blockchain, all the energy expended by all miners is counted."

Someone explain why I shouldn't treat the quartz article as sensationalist bullshit before i get really interested and start working out the power requirements myself?

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

Not specifically about one thing or another, but this long-form video essay on the topic just dropped if someone has some time to kill. 📈

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

@poopipe I'd be interested to see your calculations.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

Someone legitimately said to me, "But don't you want artists to get paid?"

Like yes, that's what buying their work does. NFT not at all required. Just buy artwork from artists you like.

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

I think the cynical beauty of this fad is that it targets a very naive and young audience hooked to their phones, who think they know everything about the world yet have no idea that there are such things as contracts for freelance work, declaring revenue to the IRS, and IP rights. By making them believe that "they can get paid" through NFTs it just traps them into this ecosystem of online pseudo-communities, which really aren't anything more than speculative pyramid schemes.

This target demographic reminds me of some of the people who were willing to put hours into design/3d work for the Dota2 workshop, yet panicked or even gave up at the thought of having to call the IRS in person to request a tax ID number, even though the process took about 10 minutes and was completely free. Or the naive artists on Deviantart who are willing to do commission work for just a few dollars, without realizing that they are dragging themselves down.

In that context it makes a lot of sense for Cryptobros to go after these people for a quick cash grab. This group is a very easy target.

• Eric Chadwick
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Something mysterious has happened here

unless rum happened, in which case it's not mysterious

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

hey bebee u wan sum nftee