Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] A little peace - Environment Art.

ZuiQuan
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ZuiQuan polycounter lvl 10
Decided to post some of the progress from the scene I'm working on. The goal here is to make my own environment of my own design, including all separate assets. I wanted to practice creating a coherent space where everything fits together. So far, designing all of this has been fun. I only borrowed 3 or so materials for wood from Quixel Megascans, the rest of material and mesh work\design is mine. I use 3dsMax, UVLayout, Zbrush, SubstanceDesigner, and also Procreate for sketches and sometimes some color variation. There are different types of models and materials in the scene. Most are good-old low-poly to high-poly projections, but a few assets use multilayered shaders, some objects are vertex painted and some models have vertex weights. I did it this way to practice different technical approaches. Here's some of the stuff I've done so far:

Replies

• ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done with the table for the scene. Fumbled with it a bit, but otherwise managed to finish it quickly enough. The week's been busy though. Didnt' have as much time as I'd like. I'm satisfied with the overall result and design, but not too fond of the top ornaments on the claw-like parts. After I conformed to the claw-shapes underneath it lost too much volume and looks more flat than I would like. Still thinking that maybe I should just remove them entirely. Now need to make the low-poly, ofc. And then on to texturing.

• ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the normal bake and all of the material work on the table. 

• ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also transferred the whole scene to baked lights. Spent time fixing the overall color\contrast\value. Didn't like the yellow-filtered look I had before. More satisfied with the result now. And the added performance from using Lightmass didn't hurt either :)
    Here are a couple of shots after the change:

• ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had to use jpegs... Pngs wouldn't load.
  • ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also changed the ceiling a bit. Added a bit of extra rafters to better define the shape and add shape echo. 

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Loving this so far! Very unique scene. Enjoying the progress a lot.
  • ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. As always, desing\composittion\color\value have been the biggest challenges. Not to say that the technical is ever really easy for me, but I really appreciate the artistic challenge the most. Will post with as many updates as I can, or, rather, as many as my time off-work allows me.
  • ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added part of the décor meant for the table on the right. The rock will have a candle on it later. Still thinking of adding some other objects on it to act as tertiary shapes of sorts. Think of it as a very elaborate candle holder :)

• ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And with the candle now finished...

• BradyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradyJ polycounter lvl 3
    Textures on the ground are looking cool!
  • ZuiQuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a small pouf. Never designed anything like that. It was an interesting and a bit unexpected task - how to make something so simple at least a bit interesting. Did some sketches and went with the one I liked most. Thought I'd mind the barrel-shape in the end, but I don't, now that it's all done.  Added a couple more candles and dishes under them for set dressing. Still thinking of adding more to this particular place. Or maybe will switch over to a different place in the room for now.