Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Luiz_Gustavo polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone!
So I've been studying on my own to be an Environment Artist and wanted to get some feedback on my portfolio and some ideas I had.

I'm unsure if I should keep any of the environments, I thought about remaking the first scene because I was still learning about texturing and UVing, everything is uniquely unwrapped, I wanted to make it with tileable textures and using the second UV/vertex blending workflow to generate masks for the assets instead, put some more attention to details and storytelling (the environments don't tell any story).
Also, I had the idea of making the placement of the stone steps and lanterns procedurally with Houdini, but I don't know if this is stepping into Tech Art too much, or if these kinds of technical skills are not so relevant for Environment Artist positions and I should focus more on storytelling instead.

I'm currently working on an urban environment to add some variety and also showcase modular buildings and could also make something procedurally with Houdini but yeah, I don't know if I should focus on this part for now and just make things the "traditional" way and start exploring more of this if I get into the industry.

I would appreciate any feedback or tips!
Thanks!

*UPDATE
So I got some feedback regarding the Houdini stuff from Tim Dries from the BeyondExtent community on one of his AMA on Twitch (that I highly recommend to everyone) and would like to see if anyone else could weigh in on my portfolio and the ideas I had for the scenes.
I'm currently working on a new scene that has a relatively big Japanese temple (which would show more architecture and tiling textures) with Mt. Fuji in the background using satellite data and Houdini.

Thanks!

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Lots of good environment threads posted on polycount a simple search might help more while you wait.  From what i see and have seen by clicking your link you might be correct in removing those items with the x over them.  What you could do so that you can keep them (since you spent time on them) keep them for the future and touch them up if they fit any future projects.  

" focus more on storytelling instead"
    ^This is what I've seen from reading a few things here and there with anything 3D people want to get some feeling from it.   (motivational inspiring or otherwise)

I am not an environment (artist) so grainiest of salts.
    Best of luck.
  • Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Lots of good environment threads posted on polycount a simple search might help more while you wait.  From what i see and have seen by clicking your link you might be correct in removing those items with the x over them.  What you could do so that you can keep them (since you spent time on them) keep them for the future and touch them up if they fit any future projects.  

" focus more on storytelling instead"
    ^This is what I've seen from reading a few things here and there with anything 3D people want to get some feeling from it.   (motivational inspiring or otherwise)

I am not an environment (artist) so grainiest of salts.
    Best of luck.

Hey David!

Yeah I do feel I could use one of the swords again after some better texturing, if I place it on a stand or use it as a storytelling element or something similar.

And I agree that the storytelling and composition should be the focus, what got me confused the most was if this procedural workflow with Houdini is something that would be seen as a bonus or if I'm sending a mixed message that I don't know what I want to do (be an Environment or Tech artist)

I'll search around see if I can find some info in regards to the Houdini part.

Thanks for the tips man!!

• Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message
    *UPDATE
    So I got some feedback regarding the Houdini stuff from Tim Dries from the BeyondExtent community on one of his AMA on Twitch (that I highly recommend to everyone) and would like to see if anyone else could weigh in on my portfolio and the ideas I had for the scenes.
    I'm currently working on a new scene that has a relatively big Japanese temple (which would show more architecture and tiling textures) with Mt. Fuji in the background using satellite data and Houdini.
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    When looking at portfolios as a regular 3d games person, other than having some nice images, I like to have some information about the motivation behind the project, what techniques were employed and maybe what cool things the person found out, or what didn't work so well. Some context may put things in perspective ("...wanted to focus on bliblablub..."), shows thought process and ability to reflect on ones work.

In the same spirit, some thoughtful break down of assets or processes is always cool to see. If you know things, show it :)
    One might get more specific feedback this way. And when a project ist embarrassing after some time, because one sees all the flaws now, it can be removed :tongue:

Having the documentation side in mind might even help when planing a project, but everyone is different. Much success :+1:

• Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    When looking at portfolios as a regular 3d games person, other than having some nice images, I like to have some information about the motivation behind the project, what techniques were employed and maybe what cool things the person found out, or what didn't work so well. Some context may put things in perspective ("...wanted to focus on bliblablub..."), shows thought process and ability to reflect on ones work.

In the same spirit, some thoughtful break down of assets or processes is always cool to see. If you know things, show it :)
    One might get more specific feedback this way. And when a project ist embarrassing after some time, because one sees all the flaws now, it can be removed :tongue:

Having the documentation side in mind might even help when planing a project, but everyone is different. Much success :+1:

Hey Fabi, thanks for the feedback!

Yep, that's why I was wondering about the scenes I already have there, they are mostly learning exercises of techniques I did while I was still lacking essential knowledge and some cool stuff I later learned with Houdini.

In the scene I'm working on right now I have documented my initial idea/intentions, progress shots, problems I ran into, and how I troubleshot it, I also have an idea for a nice breakdown presentation of the assets instead of just a screenshot from the viewport. =)

I have this awesome idea for the portfolio presentation, but it will need 4 unique scenes for it to work, so I think I was trying to avoid having to make 3 new scenes and use the ones I already had (remake it but keep the overall composition) haha :p

Thanks again Fabi! =)