Home General Discussion

i sometimes have trouble engaging with the community

frizzledcat
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
frizzledcat polycounter lvl 3
cause I feel nervous. One aspect, I am female, and it just seems to be this energy in the community that I am not gonna be able to match and i'll stick out like a sore thumb.  
Everyone seems really cool for the most part and seems like they know what to say or do.  Maybe I have a bit of social anxieties too, i don't know.  
I guess I am trying to push through that anxiety a bit by writing this here and also being very honest here.  (hope that's cool) Anyways, I struggle with this aspect.  But yeah.  Anyways, Hi.  

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Hi, we have way more women now in the 3D community then lets say 10 years ago so don't worry about sticking out etc. In what way would you like to engage with the community? If you are working on something you can always make a thread here on polycount or join a 3D discord server etc.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Just post your art a lot regardless of how awful it looks. People will try to help.

If crowds aren't your thing, look for smaller, quieter communities. You can find plenty of artist grinding daily on twitch. You might find someone whose personality works well with yours and that can be a nice way to find small community of similar types.

World is big place and there is so many people, you don't really have to try to become anything you aren't. Just find your niche and you'll thrive.

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you're anxious about talking then there's good news! Art is a form of communication by itself. Say what you want to say with your art. Talking is for art critics and commentators. Be an artist - let me know how you feel through your work. 

Some of my favorite artists I could not tell you what they look like. I don't know what skin color they have or what sex they are. But I love their art so it's irrelevant to me. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    we are all awkward kids who didnt fit in, some grew out of it, others didnt. i can assure you, nobody here is "cool" :P

just make cool art and don't be an asshole, you will fit right in.
  • frizzledcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frizzledcat polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone!  I will keep this in mind and try to be here and post and follow things more.  :)