Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Take me to a Dog Bar

Omar_Souissi
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Omar_Souissi polycounter lvl 4

Hey Polycount! 

I'll be taking a little break from my ongoing personal scene by joining the current Artstation challenge! 

I chose this concept of a dog bar by Jeff Colin and started with a very rough early blockout :) Nothing worth much feedback so far but I'll be updating this thread with my weekly progress! 

Concept by Jeff Colin : 

https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/120/submissions/62836

and my first hour of blockout! of course, everything will change :) 

Artstation thread : https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/156/submissions/66095

Replies

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey hey! 

Just made a bit of progress in the blockout of the scene. Squeezed in more props and lowered the fov of the camera to have a bit more elements in the scene. 

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening! 

Today I made a tiny bit of progress in modeling the bar, set up a floor texture with Quixel Mixer and a hint of lighting. Cheers! 

Artstation thread : https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/156/submissions/66095
  • Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey! Just made a little progress on the dog bar. Minimum details on texturing and model for now, just waiting to bump all the scene to this level before adding details and attention to the most important meshes of the final shots! Next step: Pool table! Any feedback is welcome of course :)

Artstation thread : https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/156/submissions/66095?sorting=popular

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Pool table, seats, curtains

Keeping with quick and dirty models and textures to have get a good overview of the scene before deciding what to prioritize next. I have a few video shots in mind already! Not sure about the seat's feet/base and I'll probably change them as I go. 

Artstation Thread : https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/156/submissions/66095

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Restructuring, new meshes, textures and main camera angle

Keeping on adding low detail/placeholder meshes and textures to get a feel of the atmosphere and colors. I'll most likely keep doing this for the rest of the week, and maybe start defining a general lighting direction before going into details, small props, and video/still shot attempts. Cheers! 

Quick rough draft of the wallpaper texture. I'm trying to add as much "dog identity" to the scene as possible before maybe reducing it to something more subtle in the end. 

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Window, toilet, little bit of lighting

Hey guys! Just dug a window into the wall, added a directional light and the toilet. Things are getting fun! I'm already sure I'll be changing the design of the seats and that ugly golden bone fence. Next step: more details, maybe small props and trying to get some cool video shots. Cheers! 

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

One Week In!

Hey hey!

This is what I managed to put together after a bit more than a week since I joined the challenge. I feel quite overwhelmed by the quantity of assets and textures so I rushed a bit to get this very drafty state of things. I'm starting to feel like I could maybe start taking my time and rework things to get more interesting models and textures. I'll go for a small assets/details pass first and then start reworking things. I overdid the dog bone pattern that is all over the place so I'll probably remove this aspect from a few props, along with getting rid of the seat's feet that definitely don't feel good to me. I'm going full impro on this, didn't plan anything and just seeing what happens haha. Cheers! 

This week's daily shots. each image is the result of an evening after work's progress

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you :)

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Two weeks in, some iterations, retakes and small props!

Hello! 

I had a pretty rough work week but I managed to add some things and iterate a bit on lighting and retakes! I'm hoping to be able to do a bit more next week, and start adding more small details together with continuing iterations on lighting, finding other shot angles and finally make some decals and videos! Cheers :) Any feedback is welcome! 

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Extra props and lighting iterations

Continuing on this scene here and there after work hours. I added some details all over the area. Many things still need detailing and polishing and I'll try my best to do as much as I can in the remaining two weeks! Any feedback is welcome :) 

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A little bit of lighting, a little bit of storytelling

After some valuable feedback from pairs, I went in and changed the post process and colors a bit, though there's still gonna be some changes to this, and I also started adding some storytelling elements, such as the dog and cat posters, tennis balls from the launcher on the ground, glasses and bottles etc. There's always more I can do and i'll be focusing on this until the end of the challenge! Any feedback is welcome :) I definitely should do something about that smoke effect.

• Omar_Souissi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Aaaaand here it is! A shady anti-cat dog bar inspired by my good friend Jeff Colin's environment design submission!

My goal was to illustrate a place where humanoid dogs meet to have a good time, sharing croquettes, whisky and their hate for cats. They'd sometimes even use this shady secretive place to plan their next hostiles actions against the cat confederation. 

The challenge is over but for learning's sake, I'd take any general feedback on the whole piece, especially regarding composition and storytelling.

full thread here : https://www.artstation.com/contests/untamed-when-animals-ruled-the-world/challenges/156/submissions/66095?sorting=popular