Home Technical Talk

[Maya] GN Quad Fill Hole

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gabriel Nadeau polycounter lvl 8

Update version 2.01:

Hello!
I just updated my script on ArtStation which now comes with a new option "Force offset" that might help achieve a better result in certain situations. Basically, as you can see in the animation below, if you check this box, an offset will be applied to the Quad Fill Hole no matter what.

Update version 2.0:

Hi everyone!
I've just updated my script on ArtStation with some cool new features.
Basically, I've improved the script overall functioning and made it preserve your object transforms and pivot.
Also, the script now comes with an option box that contains a couple of additional options that you will find listed below with some new examples of the script in action.

UI:

OPTIONS:
Alternate action: This option will allow you to choose an alternate action to perform in situations where the quad filled hole is not possible.
Add inset: This option will allow you to add an inset to the filled hole, with a slider controlling the size of the inset.
Offset: This option will allow you to shift the quad filled hole by one unit, which can help get a better result in some situations.

DEMO 1 - ALTERNATE ACTION / OFFSET:

DEMO 2 - INSET:

DEMO 3 - TRANSFORMS & PIVOT:

DEMO 4 - IRREGULAR SHAPES:

Version 1.0:

Hi everyone!
I've been learning to script in my spare time for some time now and I decided to share with you my latest script which is called GN Quad Fill Hole that I created mainly to cap cylinders with an even quad topology. Below are a couple of examples of the script in action:

The script is very basic and won't take into account the curvature of the object, it's really meant to just replicate the current Fill Hole operation in Maya but with a quad toplogy instead of just a ngon face. Also, the script has a couple of limitations that I might try to improve in the future. For example, it will only work with certain type of holes and the script will delete the object transforms and history. Below you will see examples of the limitations and how to work around it:

The script is available on my ArtStation store: https://www.artstation.com/gabrielnadeau/store/dRAM/maya-gn-quad-fill-hole
Let me know your thoughts and feel free to contact me if you encounter any bug or you think that something could be improved/changed.

Cheers!
Gabriel

Replies