Home Technical Talk

How should I connect this vertex in order to generate the best possible mesh?

Hello guys, 

I've been working on a personal project to create a Mario Box from scratch using Blender and Zbrush. And now I'm at the retopology moment with serious problems because it is a part that I'm completely noob about.

So I've been having issues with how to connect the vertex, trying to get as few polygons as possible, given that I would like it to be game-ready.

Here's the first solution that came to my mind in order to get the less polygons I could, but I felt like I was connecting all the vertex to a single one, and this creates some kind of stretch :S 

And here's the second with more polys: 

Do you know if any of these solutions is correct, or if there is another technique that could be useful to face this prop?

Thankyou 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    thats fine as long as it shades well. in this case, you should be a bit concerned about that shading since its producing a strong shadowing artifact (long skinny triangles are usually not the best solution). You could shorten its length by adding a cut like this to reroute and terminate it, the only compromise being an additional cpl of triangles.
  • rohom3Des
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    thats fine as long as it shades well. in this case, you should be a bit concerned about that shading since its producing a strong shadowing artifact (long skinny triangles are usually not the best solution). You could shorten its length by adding a cut like this to reroute and terminate it, the only compromise being an additional cpl of triangles.
    Okay, I'll try to creat this small paths for the triangles that are creating this shadows you mentioned.

Thank you :+1:
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The first shape has Long polys and tris in the worst case terminating at a sharp edge. Long elements dont shade well as a rule so you could break up the vertical tower by inserting a couple of edges. If you get shading anomalies around the  point you can bevel it to add some support geo. Have a look at how to fix 5 and more point junctions in the polycount wiki.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    if your shading depends on manually edited/projected  vertex normals  you can connect your vertexes whatever you want with long triangles etc.   Was a popular way for mobile games actually.  At least we did it that way when I worked for phone games company  couple decades ago.   No shading  support loops   at all.  Less vertexes the better. Everything is as minimal as it could possibly be.

If your shading is what 3d package does automatically   then you  have to avoid long triangles , make support loops  around  holes  etc.   Just make your view port preview with some polished material and you would get it on your own.     Big screen/ big GPU  games way .