Home Technical Talk

Getting weird edges when adding quad chamfer and turbosmooth on gasoline pump model

This model getting weird when adding turbosmooth and quad chamfer, we know n-gons and triangulated models can be a problem when we trying to smooth, is there any way to fix this? or do I need to create a high poly merely based on quads? 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    do I need to create a high poly merely based on quads?
    no

Just preview how the mesh subdivides with a wireframe off, see that it looks fine and no artifacting, and acknowledge/learn that ngons/tri's on flat surfaces are totally fine for most cases.
    in your case, you'll have some overlapping topology once subdivided due to how you're generating your support loops however.
  • Sayooj_js
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replying man, I can fix it by adding different smoothing groups over various faces or cleaning up over polys in order to get fine turbosmooth details. Although, it's a bit time-consuming. Do you think is there any alternative way to ease the workflow?
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    highpoly modeling with polgyons is always time consuming act, one of the most important processes in the pipeline, and a labor of love with tons of planning etc.

trying to automate it with modifiers/quad chamfer can only go so far before you need to do some manual tweaks and edits to get things looking perfect
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I'd build a lot of this using splines > cross section  > surface > edit poly > chamfer rather  than arguing with turbosmooth/subdiv modelling .  this approach covers most hardsurface objects outside of complex castings and is extremely easy to adjust after the fact

also - build anything that would be separate in real life as a separate object

• Sayooj_js
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though I am getting good results, shading issues were one of the major concerns after I have applied turbosmooth