Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mirror's edge inspired corrdior: looking for feedback

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
efwfew16 polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone!

I'm a recent graduate interested in environnement and lighting. Here's a simple corridor i've been working on in Unreal 4.27 for my portfolio. I'm looking to get some feedback on it. It's still a wip, I feel like some texture could be better like the little squares "tables" where the tv sits or some of the big pipe walls, and the ceiling ( right now it's the same texture as the floor), in general maybe just fix color that  are too harsh
I think a few textures are missing, and I'm wondering what objects I could add, or remove.

My main reference was the game Mirror's Edge. The game is very clean and polished, but I felt like doing a more realistic version of it (like the tags and dirt) Right now my main concern is adding more decals and reworking some of the textures, and fix floating objects.... I've done two lights (also wip) one day and night, but as you can see i'm having a bit more difficulties with the night!
by the way the screens are straight from unreal with medium lighting built.

Cheers

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Lookin sweet! So your red tiles seem like a brick pattern overlayed on top of a tile pattern, I think you need to delete the brick pattern there. Also, it looks like you're using tesselation on the red tiles, but I dont think that's needed.

For the entire enviro, I think you need to play around with composition a bit, because I don't know what to look at in your images.

• efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin sweet! So your red tiles seem like a brick pattern overlayed on top of a tile pattern, I think you need to delete the brick pattern there. Also, it looks like you're using tesselation on the red tiles, but I dont think that's needed.

For the entire enviro, I think you need to play around with composition a bit, because I don't know what to look at in your images.

Thanks a lot! The brick pattern wasn't there originally. I learned about details texturing recently and combined the original normal map of the tile with a normal map of a brick wall. I'm gonna choose another one. Composition isn't my strong suit, i'm gonna check out the video. I agree the colors seems to be a bit all over the place. Below is a screenshot I did in the game. Color seems to be much stronger and simple

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Scene looks good but the lighting is very flat. What made ME enviros so appealing was the color bleeding that filled the rooms and corridors. I suggest you either bake the lighting or use some sort of real time gi option. It will look miles better when the red walls emit(bounce) that red light all over the enviro.
  • efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Scene looks good but the lighting is very flat. What made ME enviros so appealing was the color bleeding that filled the rooms and corridors. I suggest you either bake the lighting or use some sort of real time gi option. It will look miles better when the red walls emit(bounce) that red light all over the enviro.
    Thanks. I'm using static lighting on my directional light with high indirect lighting intensity. I think screen space gi is only for movable light.  I'm not aware of any other method for light bounce ? Maybe my world settings are too low ?
  • efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update tried to rework a bit of the lighting and get the white correct. I've been watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sM7ZU0Nwo and it helped a lot but some part are a bit confusing for me. Seems my orange wall on the right is illuminated at the top I don't really know why.

I've put an old screenshot in photoshop (below) and tried to see how I could make it more mirror edge with the color. It was especially removing colors and try to go with one main strong color (in this case I think orange) I've also changed the white wall texture by removing dirts and make it more cleans. I also now think the decals aren't really fitting in.. eh..

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Is your scene made out of thin one sided walls? Because that might cause lightbake artifacts. Also the lightmap resolution looks kinda low.
    If you havent already i suggest checking out unreal lighting academy learning course. Also a lot of tips and tricks about light baking can be found in archviz courses or tutorials.
  • efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Is your scene made out of thin one sided walls? Because that might cause lightbake artifacts. Also the lightmap resolution looks kinda low.
    If you havent already i suggest checking out unreal lighting academy learning course. Also a lot of tips and tricks about light baking can be found in archviz courses or tutorials.

Yea i'm using one sided wall for the tiles, since I'm using displacement I thought it would save me some performance. In my experience the artifiact on one sided wall gets removed as the lighting quality and world settings increases. (maybe i'm wrong though) As far as the light map density it's pretty high actually. Too high probably. I will check out the link though, i don't know how I missed it; thanks  :)
    edit: im also gonna try to redo  the walls with thickness to see
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Or at least add a "shell" over your level.
    Regarding resolution there is pixelation near the window shades so im guessing you can still crank it up a bit for such a small scene.

• efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message

Update! Decided to go with two colors, and went full decals lol. Everything is on low here, preview lighting build and no post process. I'm gonna see if I can add a few more decals, maybe trash/debris, check some texture, then finish the lighting and post process. I'm looking for a cloud render or render farm type website I could use for my render as my pc can't handle more than high build :(
  • efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    My last update, I have to fix a few things like objects inside wall, the  weird sharp vertical shadow on the wall and mess around with color correction, maybe change the texture of the black wall cable, they seem off, then I'll consider it finish, can't spend that long on it!