Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blacksmiths forge environment (UE4)

MatthewWilshaw
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
MatthewWilshaw polycounter lvl 5
Posting in the hopes of getting some feedback and to hopefully look back on my progress. 

Currently I am nearing the end of my blockout stage of the project and am now trying to setup some interesting camera shots. The environment will be made up of a modular kit as well as some props. Additionally I want to try and include some kind of foliage, perhaps some ivy?. as always any resources or critique would be massively appreciated! 

(Main shot)

(Anvil hero prop)

(Sign and forge)

(Workbench)

Replies

• MatthewWilshaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, I've created my basic tiled floor material in substance designer and made a simple bump offset material in UE4:

Designer render (No POM or tessellation) 

UE4 (Using bump offset) 

Current plan is to instead have the moss on the actual material, is to instead blend it into the material with a height lerp in engine, however this will do for now. Any feedback would be appreciated :D
  • AkkeeArtist1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkkeeArtist1991 triangle
    It looks great so far, I can't wait to see your progress with this project. :)
  • MatthewWilshaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on the wall shader in engine. Currently I have 3 materials blended by a height lerp (Stone wall and 2 plaster variations to avoid repetition)

Stone material inside of designer:

Plaster 1 inside of designer:

Plaster 2 inside of designer:

Blended example in UE4:

As always critique is welcomed :) 
  • Elivenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elivenger polycounter lvl 2
    So far I really like your Substance Designer stone wall materials! I To me it looks like you're probably sorta going for a bit of a stylized realism kinda look. Also your lighting is off to a good start with the cool blues and bright orange glow of the fire! Keep at it! 
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I suggest you tweak the material a bit because there is no actual height blend happening. Normally the plaster will get into those stone wall crevices and give it a more natural look. It looks like your material doesnt take into account the height of the stone wall.
  • HalloweenNE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HalloweenNE triangle
    The materials look really good, but I agree with teodar, the blending would benefit with a little bit more tweaking. Other than that the block-in looks really solid! The composition is lovely and the scene beautifully centered around the furnace.
  • MatthewWilshaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments :) ill be sure to take a closer look at my master material and height blending on YouTube to try and achieve a better result. 
  • MatthewWilshaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    uh really great work! you are getting there!

one thing that always helps me is, find the final camera perspective early. that way you will see from what angle you see every asset ect. and you can detail things where you need them :)
  • Silen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, nice work so far. I think your plaster material looks a bit too much like concrete. I suggest you look at some reference of ancient plastered walls and tweak your existing materials. Keep it up! 
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    @MatthewWilshaw - Looking good, this is a good foundation to work from - before getting into to detail any more, i'd work on producing a stronger composition and thinking through your lighting, foreground/middleground/background - blocking in shapes that really make a strong composition.

Keep going!

Here are some ideas/feedback: