Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Anatomy Feedback

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Lether polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys !! :)

I would love a feed back on this sculpt ! I am curently studying realist anatomy as a hobby but I feel a little bit stuck with my learning-curve. I feelI have to share the work to get external advice. If you have advice, tips or other, do not hesitate ! Thank you very much :)

Replies

• hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    I feel like the landmarks are generally there but they don't feel feel very volumetric. For example the ribcage from the 3/4 view looks like it goes concave a bit, and so the torso feels a bit boneless. I've also attached a snippet from the book anatomy for sculptors, as I feel like that explains it better than me.

• Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for your feedback ! I appreciate it :)
    By "don't feel feel very volumetric", you mean i should sharpen the edge where the landmark are ?

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I suggest to clearly indicate bony landmarks to get better idea where things are on her ,also consider whats relation between shoulder waist and pelvis will work best
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for your feedback Carvuliero ! I'll pay attention to this. I'll definitively implement your advice on my next sculpt and I will emphasis the landmarks. I keep in mind the relation between shoulder/waist/pelvis but could you explain it a little bit more ?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure , human body as anything else could be simplified to a few point which if later connected by lines give you the simple shape of the body .This points more or less remain the same only their relations shift which is how all varieties are made [body types]
    Shoulder waist and hip are just high points which make them useful
    Bammes have brilliant simplifications of you want a good example
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    That is pretty good thing you teach me !!!! I had never nailed what create the differences between two bodies. Now I understand. I'll keep in mind this theory when sculpting and drawing !

Okay, I go back to work :) Thank you !
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hey polycount :)
    Here is another sculpt. I tried to follow the feedbacks you gave me (carvuliero / hwaminjung) (emphasis on landmarks, ribcage not concave, realation between shoulder/waist/pelvis,...). I am still very interested in feedbacks and comments :)

By the way, I struggle with a few areas in the body. (In fact I struggle with all the body but those few one are the one I don't have an idea how to nail it). I don't know very well how to sculp it. Do I need more resolution on the model or something like that ? How to sculpt on those really close area ? Moreover, I was wondering if those area are good enough anatomicaly speaking. Something is odd and I can't nail it :)

Have a wonderfull day :)

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base on specific case for form that overlap each other for example
    -butt cheeks they are equal so just make the crack between them deeper and push them together with pinch brush
    -arm and torso one overlap the other so you could use mask and iterate between the 2 with move brush, inflate could work here as well
    BTW it looks much better just spend more time with side view really looking close at your ref and in side view you have to construct a scapula

• Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, thank you for the feedback ! A lot of informations to process there. I will analyse them with attention. I feel there are good thing to lead further in the comprehension of anatomy and volume.

Thanks for the reminder for the lats/teres/serratus. It is true I struggle a little when I sculpt them. I sculpt an average thing that fit my vision but I know I don't fully understand the area also.

I think I finally understand the iliac crest complex and how it is built there. Not easy, it takes time to fully be aware of what is doing what :)

I'll get back to my skeleton and  my ecorché :D It is gonna be interesting :D:D

• Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    I didn't give up but I took to much time to sculpt. I feel more confident with the muscles. I try to sculpt with your feedback in mind. That was not easy. But I think, even if It is not totaly good I will try to go ahead and try some arm and leg :)

I was wondering something: why is it taking me so much mental energy to sculpt? : D Ahah my question is weird, but when I finish a sculpting session, I feel very tired mentaly. I mean I have to do something that doesn't need focus after a sculpting session. That is why it took me a lot of time to sculpt just one half-body. I know I will be tired and I don't even begin sculpting. Is it something newbie like me have to come through?

Again, thank you to those who take time to give their precious feedback.

Here is the sculpt :) Have a good evening !

• hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether said:
    I was wondering something: why is it taking me so much mental energy to sculpt? : D Ahah my question is weird, but when I finish a sculpting session, I feel very tired mentaly. I mean I have to do something that doesn't need focus after a sculpting session. That is why it took me a lot of time to sculpt just one half-body. I know I will be tired and I don't even begin sculpting. Is it something newbie like me have to come through?
    I don't think it is weird at all, at least for me, I have had the exact same feeling, and still do a lot of the time.
    While I don't know the exact reason, I have a feeling it is just to do with the pressure you give yourself in realizing that there is a lot of things that you need to improve on to become a better artist.
    I remember when I was very young, I would spend hours on an art piece, and I would still be excited every day to work on it, but now, I tend to give up really easily.
    Another time, I took this art class a few years ago, and while the teacher was amazing, and I had learnt so much from the teacher, I got completely art blocked afterwards. Partially, I think it was because I could see mistakes in my own work now that made me hate my own work, and beating myself up when I forgot to do a step I learnt in the class.

I know this was kind of a messy reply, but I am not sure how to talk about it in a more simple way, because even now I don't fully understand it.
    I think overtime you will start feeling less mentally exhausted once you start understanding and mastering the skills. For now, maybe you can think of the tiredness as proof you are growing as an artist.
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hey thanks for your feedback. It is good to know that it is something people are struggling with. I think you bring a part of the answer with your explanation. Thank you. I will see it as a strength instead of something weird :)
    Let's sculpt now :)

• Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hey polycount, as I said earlier I wanted to try to sculpt arms and legs. Here it is (without hands and feet). Critics and feedback are welcome ! I am not fully confident with my knoweldge in anatomy for leg and arm :) Maybe I don't see big mistakes or I sculpt something in the wrong way :)

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thats a great video, thanks for linking me that!
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8

Thank you for the time you took to make the feedback carvuliero ! One question about it. How can I apply it ? Would you advise me to do some modifications on my sculpt or begin a new one with your feedback (and the others) in mind ?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In a perfect world Id say both as crit is specific for your current model and it will be easy to see whats not working learn what does and apply to your future work Modifications arent that drastic so if you have few extra hours fix her
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    I'll try to be in a perfect world :p Thanks for your answer :)