Home Technical Talk

How to chamfer cuts in cylinders properly (3ds Max)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
99isthebest polycounter lvl 2
Hi All,

I am struggling with chamfering a cut in a cylinder I have made. Trying to wrap my head around how I maintain sharp edges in the cut whilst keeping the cylinder round. 

This is the shape I have and you can see the areas I want to keep sharp:

Of Course without supporting edges I get this:

I can add supporting edges to get the sharpness I want:

But of course while the cut is the sharpness I want I no longer have a nice cylinder:

So I guess my question then is How do I maintain the sharpness of the cut but also the roundness of the cylinder. If you have any hints tips or tutorials you could share I would be eternally grateful. 

Thanks for your time. 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Larger cylinder segment. try 48 sided.
  • 99isthebest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99isthebest polycounter lvl 2
    Kanni3d said:
    Larger cylinder segment. try 48 sided.
    HI thank you for the response. I agree more sides will help but then I am still stuck with the lines from the chamfer going up the cylinder when trying to create the sharp edges. I'm guessing i need to clean up the vertical lines somehow but am not sure how to...

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Don't chamfer or "support" loop those details in, have the natural segments of the cylinder retain the shape and details. Likely you'll now need 96 segments (48 x 2). Try turbosmoothing via smoothing groups only to establish more geometry/curvature, then turbosmoothing for your soft edges.