Home Technical Talk

Same camera position in Maya and in UE4/5

node
Offline / Send Message
cmdrDsig node
Hey !

I'm currently trying to recreate a shot that I took irl, my goal is to compare the Arnorld renderer to Unreal Engine.
To do that I need the two final renders to be axactly the same when in comes to coordinates. Same camera angle, distance relative to origin, settings.
How would you go about doing something like that ? Is there a way to export cameras and import them in unreal ? 

Thanks !

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Unreals default importer does some non-intuitive stuff with pivots. You probably want to check out the Import Into Level (FBX Scene Import) | Unreal Engine Documentation, as well as read about the "bake pivot to vertex" option. 

Basically, that allows you to import an fbx and it will maintain the same world position as in your DCC. 

I don't know anything about camera import specifics, but if there isn't a specific solution for that, you could put a locator or dummy geometry in the cameras position, import that, and then at least you have a position you can snap an unreal camera to. 

You may also want to be aware of unreals cinematic camera, versus the default camera. That allows you to change things like focal length, etc, the same way as you would in maya.
  • cmdrDsig
    Offline / Send Message
    cmdrDsig node
    Alex_J said:
    Unreals default importer does some non-intuitive stuff with pivots. You probably want to check out the Import Into Level (FBX Scene Import) | Unreal Engine Documentation, as well as read about the "bake pivot to vertex" option. 

Basically, that allows you to import an fbx and it will maintain the same world position as in your DCC. 

I don't know anything about camera import specifics, but if there isn't a specific solution for that, you could put a locator or dummy geometry in the cameras position, import that, and then at least you have a position you can snap an unreal camera to. 

You may also want to be aware of unreals cinematic camera, versus the default camera. That allows you to change things like focal length, etc, the same way as you would in maya.
    That's some very good advice ! Probably saved me some time searching for camera settings in UE :)
    The dummy method will probably work too thanks a lot, I assume I'll just have to copy and paste the rotation values from one to the other so that they match. 
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's a left/right handedness discrepancy between the two iirc. 

As Alex suggests you're likely best off transferring data via fbx - especially if it's animation
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    USD does also import cameras in Unreal. 
  • cmdrDsig
    Offline / Send Message
    cmdrDsig node
    poopipe said:
    There's a left/right handedness discrepancy between the two iirc. 

As Alex suggests you're likely best off transferring data via fbx - especially if it's animation
    oglu said:
    USD does also import cameras in Unreal. 
    Thanks to both of you for your input, I'm about to try this !