Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Medieval cart (Blender)

Well. another newbie on the Polycount =)

I'm new to 3D (using Blender) and came here to get some help.

I have tried to make a medieval cart in Ashen game style (mid poly I think). Here are some screenshots:

Wheels are separated and so on, but I have a problem with mesh. Here is a screenshot:

So my question is: do I have to boolean union it and then adding some new loop cuts to make square polygons for good UV map, or I can leave it as is, due to every part of the cart have a flat one-colored texture?

Thank you!

Replies

• stefanWilliams_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stefanWilliams_C polycounter lvl 4
    Looking awesome so far! I think Ashen's art style focuses more of the detail and stylisation on its materials. I think it could be cool to move away from the flat colour and try some stylised textures with some surface detail on the wood, overall making the cart look more worn and broken. Sort of more in-line with how the geometry splits off a bit. Done a quick paintover to illustrate what I mean! 

Doing it this way would mean you need to get clean UVs and clean geometry flow, but I think it's good practice no matter the texture style. It generally prevents problems later on :)
  • GoodNatured
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome so far! I think Ashen's art style focuses more of the detail and stylisation on its materials. I think it could be cool to move away from the flat colour and try some stylised textures with some surface detail on the wood, overall making the cart look more worn and broken. Sort of more in-line with how the geometry splits off a bit. Done a quick paintover to illustrate what I mean! 

Doing it this way would mean you need to get clean UVs and clean geometry flow, but I think it's good practice no matter the texture style. It generally prevents problems later on :)
    Thank you for your answer. So, instead of making a cage for the cart I will better try to edit mesh. =)

Don't you know some good guides about complex mesh UV's? And also, as I need good UV's in the future, it's better not to make separate mesh for every plank, but extruding them? 

Trying to get as many advises as possible =)