Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

a beginner's human head sculpt attempt...answers much appreciated!

hi polycount! i have a few questions regarding the process of sculpting the human head. hopefully someone would care to help!
 this is where i have right now (started from a perfect-topo basemesh) 

reference:

(just trying to learn n' sculpt a generally correct human face using this model. nothing portraiture or accuracy related..)
so my questions are:

1. i think this stage is the "big shapes" stage, so are there any major mistakes, especially the skull portions, in this stage? how soon can i  proceed to the smaller/detailed level? 
2.  what would that level be about? feature refinement & folds/creases? what online courses/resources teaches about those? most of them shows broader skeletal/anatomical stuffs which got me to here, but i dont think i have any materials teaching stuffs in this stage lol.
3. what does a "hirable standard", at least for facial sculpting, look like? i dont mean to be antsy or rush the learning process, but it'd be good to know where i am at right now how much further to reach a professional level...hopefully not too far xD 

thanks guys in advance. 

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    1.The biggest mistakes I see are from the side view, you skull is extremely elongated, the jaw doesn´t reach the ear, the nostrils have a strange shape. The eyelids are pretty thin, eyelids are thicker than most people think. you barely sculpted on the ears, I know ears aren´t the most exciting to sculpt but they are important. 
    2. If you want learning material you can take a look at stuff like this  https://nimlot26.gumroad.com/#FcpZU
    3. For realistic faces? really really depends on the company tbh, just try to look on artstation for high poly´s of characters from games you like

hope that helps, happy sculpting :)

• imslow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.The biggest mistakes I see are from the side view, you skull is extremely elongated, the jaw doesn´t reach the ear, the nostrils have a strange shape. The eyelids are pretty thin, eyelids are thicker than most people think. you barely sculpted on the ears, I know ears aren´t the most exciting to sculpt but they are important. 
    2. If you want learning material you can take a look at stuff like this  https://nimlot26.gumroad.com/#FcpZU
    3. For realistic faces? really really depends on the company tbh, just try to look on artstation for high poly´s of characters from games you like

hope that helps, happy sculpting :)

thanks for pointing out the misakes and the corrections! and for recommending a good course. ill check it out. much appreciated. 

and yea i really couldnt spare the mental power for the ears right now lol so i just left it so basic