Home Career & Education

Just for a change... Lets have a topic for a newbie!

Hi all,

First of all, I want to apologise for probably asking the same question you've all heard a million times over!

I am a blank canvas, completely fresh to the industry and the art world! I have stumbled across a bit of a fascination for the 3D world and designing and exploring my creative side!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the route to take as a self taught noob to the industry? I've been working at some tutorials in Maya etc and doing fine, a lot of learning the software more than anything but I notice that every now and again some buzzwords are thrown around like topology etc.

Ideally I was looking for some recommendations on where I can look into these fundamental skills that will aid me with my journey post tutorial videos! I don't want to end up as an artist that can follow a tutorial video but chucked into the world struggle to create my own work due to lack of understanding of the fundamentals! Then following that the best ways to learn and progress my skills!

Any help or feedback will be incredibly appreciated, as I said, I am completely new to the industry and am honestly just loving the time I've spent here so far and want to carry on progressing! I'm putting in a lot of hours day to day at the moment and would just like a bit of clarification I'm on the right path!

Thanks all in advance, you're all great!

Alfie

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    first define an actual goal otherwise you can't know if you're getting anywhere or not. 

i'd forget about words like "progression" and instead just focus on one completing one small project at a time. Define how it has to look like, and then learn whatever you have to to meet that goal. Copying work of others is good way to keep clear goals.

Try to learn from as many different people as possible. Get help whenever you need it. The fastest and best help is google search. Many years before you came along all these idiots were on the internet asking stupid questions. They sacrificed themselves so that real smart guys like you could learn from them.

Bothering humans real time is last resort but it's still something you shouldn't be shy about doing as long as you know you did due diligence first. Any time you aren't making forward progress towards your specific goal and the internet can't save you, find a buddy and get help.

If you are stuck don't feel sorry for yourself, just try a different way. It's just art, you don't got to be a genius. Just don't quit.
  • alfiesandbrook
    Hey bud, 

Thank you, genuinely! Even just for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate that and take it all on board!

It all makes a lot of sense, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path to success and wasn't heading in the wrong direction! I'll keep cracking on with some tutorials for now then as I feel relatively comfortable modelling something simple myself but the follow steps like UV, texturing and lighting I definitely am not! So i'll focus on those for now before starting my own project then follow it through to completion and stick it up for some feedback!

Sorry for bothering you before checking google ;)

Thanks a lot dude, I wont be quitting! Good luck with everything!
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Pluralsight. Cheap, and can get you through the door
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    I'd actually suggest that you don't try and define your goal, because it sounds like you're very early in your journey; the goal will change, guaranteed. ;) 
    Instead, just explore the craft until you find the part of it that really hooks you - modelling, lighting, animation, etc - and then start thinking about how to build a career around that.  
  • MrVennelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in a similar position to you actually. I have been learning Blender and a lot of basic art concepts for the last few months. In an ideal world I would be setting aside a hour every day to learn, but in my current stage of life that's just not possible. I have found loads of great resources though.

There are lots of great resources on Youtube for Blender, but if you are learning through Maya make sure you get to grips with the basics of the software first. I am up to a level where I have watched some tutorials in Maya, but I know enough to apply the same methods in Blender. Obviously the best thing for learning has been setting myself little projects where I apply the skills I have been learning from tutorials. I have been alternating between big tutorials and personal projects.

The Andrew Price (Blender Guru) podcast has been great for understanding the world of 3D art more. I also have found videos and podcasts by 'Flipped Normals' great for understanding the video games industry.

Would love to know more about the things you have been finding useful too.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Like Alex commented it's only art! so try keeping things in perspective while you're learning, obviously nowadays a ton of helpful info too trawl through and aside from pointers people had already expressed here, when time permits dip a toe into art fundamentals. They're fairly universal principles that bridge the divide between mediums (digital - traditional) which will prove practicable as you get further down the road.