Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Abandoned Manor Environment

Jordz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jordz polycounter lvl 8
I have been working on an environment based on the abandoned Crookham Manor school in Berkshire UK.
The main goals of this project was to improve both texturing using Substance Designer / Painter and lighting a scene in UE4.
I would appriciate any feedback to help improve this piece.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking dope! Two crits off the top of my head are the doors look like they had a weird proportion (too short? maybe too wide?) and the ceiling could use a little texture work. The ripped parts of the wallpaper are a little too random as well. I think you're nailing the roughness  and messiness values atm, good job! An area of attention is the window, I think you could do something to draw more attention to it somehow. Also, consider clumping props/assets; it makes for more interesting areas of the images.
  • sarasumm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarasumm polycounter lvl 4
    Looks cool so far! I would suggest adding a pattern to the wallpaper to make it more interesting/ornate. Maybe add more edge wear on the crown mouldings to match the rest of the scene. 
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you both for taking a look at my scene giving feedback. I do agree with the scale of the doors, I've narrowed them down. I've also made some decals; two which expose the inner layer of the wall and one which is just normal damage. With the pattern trim I made for the moulding I think the decals help break up the moulding.

• EmilLefter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmilLefter triangle
    I would place a human model in the scene so you have a good idea of how everything scales in relation to an actual person. The doors in a house should be around 2 meters plus, which would make those handrails pretty huge in comparison, because a handrail is usually at a human's mid level, so 1 meter more or less, where yours would be more than 2 meters. Other than that I really like the mood, lighting and textures ! Good luck with it.
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    I placed some models around the scene for a scale reference, thank you for your feedback.