Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE5] Lost Between Worlds

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Sven_M greentooth
In this thread I'm going to document some of my process of creating a set of 3 thematically connected scenes set in a miniature world, following the footsteps of a small child. Originally imagined as a short film, for now I decided to only focus on 3 sequences that are already in an advanced stage of completion. I'm gonna publish them separately, as I finish polishing them one by one.

For now, I'll share a few screenshots of the first part. I'm currently refining the lighting, still deciding on some camera shots and I'm planning to rework a few more assets before the release.  =)

EDIT 1: First part is released! Check it out here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qr4Pyl

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Replies

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 polycounter lvl 4
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice, is the foliage all hard geo or still using cards and masking? 
  • Sven_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven_M greentooth
    Thanks guys!  =) It is still using cards. Only a few thicker ones are pure geo, but yes, 95% of the foliage here is made from cards.

Speaking of foliage, I made some of the textures with a custom SP template I'm still working on. Basically, it enables me to manually paint branches and leaves as masks, while it procedurally creates everything else from albedo, height, roughness, all of the variations and finally it processes painted masks to create the final opacity map. It is similar to procedural leaf generators made in SD, but here you're not creating initial masks with nodes, but paint them by hand. I'd say it is a bit more artistic approach, which I personally prefer.

I recreated some of my older plants with this method in a fraction of time. It is also very easy to just erase and redraw, which is great for fast blockouts with lots of iterations. I'll showcase a bit more with a gif in the ArtStation post soon.

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins greentooth
    Really nice execution of the miniature scale feel. For the substance designer foliage... You built something that lets you paint masks directly in substance or the masks are imported from Photoshop or similar?
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be interested to see a small demonstration of the foliage painting, sounds interesting but hmm a little tricky to imagine the process exactly.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero quad damage
    Lol they look like real mini assets good job !
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis veteran polycounter
    Damn, literally looks like a picture of a super cute miniature set. Nice job!
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the explanation :) 
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn polycounter lvl 4
    thats looking so awesome mate.
    depth of field is just the best thing B)
  • Sven_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven_M greentooth
    Thanks for the support, guys! I just released it on ArtStation!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qr4Pyl

Expect more content in this thread soon, as I'll start sharing another scene.  =)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Material work is lovely, and that tilt-shift style depth of field is the icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Sven_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven_M greentooth
    Material work is lovely, and that tilt-shift style depth of field is the icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Hey, thanks!

Here's a wip of another wagon.

• RustedFaith3d
    Excellent work! Love it!

• Sven_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven_M greentooth
  • pixelpatron
  • Cg_Creator
    Offline / Send Message
    Cg_Creator polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing stuff!!!
  • Jakro
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycount lvl 666
    Everything about this is amazing and trainz - hell yeah! B)
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 polycounter
    Looks great but its not very convincing that these are small objects. What would really sell this idea is for the edges to be less sharp and small shapes to be thicker. If you look at most plastic toys, especially older ones, the smaller the toy the bulkier and "softer" it is. This is for 2 reasons: lack of precision in tooling and usually you dont want kids playing with really small parts that can break off. Your model looks more like a highly detailed large scale plastic kit.
    Another thing that would help sell the micro-ness of it is the paint thickness. Smaller the object, thicker the paint basically.
    But overall great screne, really looks like a diorama.
  • Sven_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven_M greentooth
    teodar23 said:
    Looks great but its not very convincing that these are small objects. What would really sell this idea is for the edges to be less sharp and small shapes to be thicker. If you look at most plastic toys, especially older ones, the smaller the toy the bulkier and "softer" it is. This is for 2 reasons: lack of precision in tooling and usually you dont want kids playing with really small parts that can break off. Your model looks more like a highly detailed large scale plastic kit.
    Another thing that would help sell the micro-ness of it is the paint thickness. Smaller the object, thicker the paint basically.
    But overall great screne, really looks like a diorama.
    Thanks for the critique! I agree the scale and softness is very important here and I'm trying to pay attention to it all the time. But also from gathering references I've noticed it really varies because there are many miniature scales, materials they are made from and the overall amount of details. There indeed are some toy trains that look very smooth like this one:

But also there is stuff like these, which is what I was going for. Some of them have even sharper edges, with more precise details:

I'll definitely continue paying attention to that as it can be a bit tricky when references have different scales. :D
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 8
    this is dope!!! I love it